The drinking man’s thread
  • Used to work in an old man's pub in a wee village, ovd rum and peppermint cordial was a favourite among the locals. Can't stand the stuff myself.

That extraordinary cocktail sounds nice, not a million miles away from a dark n stormy.

Not massively keen on white rum. Some spiced ones i don't mind, but generally stick with golden ones - mount gay is a staple, along with Appleton estate and chairman's reserve. Duppy share's dynamite as well for the money.

Anyone tried the salty dog stuff from aldi? Just won rum of the year apparently.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    yeah - pretty close to a Dark n stormy.

Very quaffable.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    The Spaniard is a great little bar. Also really like their gin bar round the corner, Muriel’s.

Always liked Muriels too - it's part of the Belfast Gin tour now - I'm told it has a special gin lounge extended into the next door premises upstairs to facilitate the tour.

Muriels used to be very small - about a third of its size now - was called the Glass Jar then and had seats for about 15 people.
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    Anyone tried the salty dog stuff from aldi? Just won rum of the year apparently.

Sea Dog? I was just looking at it on Monday and saw today it had won. I'd give it a go but I've a full bottle of Kraken.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Webbins wrote:
    HawBawJaws wrote:

Sea Dog? I was just looking at it on Monday and saw today it had won. I'd give it a go but I've a full bottle of Kraken.

Yeah, I got through 2 bottles of it over the festive period. Very tasty, as good Kraken imo.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Came home with a bunch of stout so spun on a Guinness Martini cocktail.

50ml vodka
    50ml Kahlua
    50ml espresso
    100ml stout

Gently stir with ice and strain into a Martini glass. Slurp the surplus. Pretty good.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I remember a brief affair with Guinness and Tia Maria.

Pour Guinness into a half pint glass leaving it just shy of the top. (works with Murphys too).

Top up with a shot of Tia Maria and mix. It tastes like chocolate.

Of course we then followed up by adding a Cointreau to make a Terry's Chocolate Orange.

One memorable night we drank a clatter of these chased with Sambuca shots - the combo being named a "Head Under The Gate" - inspired by contemporary footage of cows with BSE.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Isn't that basically a black Russian? Guinness, Tia Maria and something else? Can't remember what, coke maybe.
  • Stroh 80 is like nuclear muesli, I don't hate it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Sambuca is fucking awful. Coats the tongue in a vile film.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A Black Russian is vodka , tia maria and coke. Is pretty quaffable.

Stroh is rough. I had a bottle of 60 which was bad enough. It smelled quite nice - like butterscotch - but was pretty vile re taste. I have sampled the 80 which actually tasted a bit better - I found that a tad worrying.

I love a Sambuca - wifey has a liking for it too.

Many take it with a Bailey's float - called a Slippery Nipple or a Deep Throat in these parts.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Any black Russian I ever had had Guinness in it. But then where in from a mojito is vodka, 7up and a sprig of mint.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    In my youngers days I was quite the afficiando of strong licquor.  Green Chartreuse (or green short trousers as we named it) was a pretty disagreeable drink. It's 55% which was a novelty in the 90s.  The drink of choice in NI then was a 50% peppermint shnapps called Rumple Mintz.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Any black Russian I ever had had Guinness in it. But then where in from a mojito is vodka, 7up and a sprig of mint.

Aye. Names for mixed drinks are notoriously prone to local variation.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    In the late 90s I remember importing Bohemian Absinthe off the web - a big deal then. It was £40 a bottle - called Hills - and was 70%.

It tastes nothing like the French variety which has an aniseed flavour. This tasted like petrol but was strangely moreish.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Penod is legalised absinthe - it was tamed by taking out the wormwood which was outlawed in Europe.  There are vintage bottles of Pernod pre-ban but they are very much collectors' items.

Oddly enough - the ban was never in place in the Czech republic / Bohemia or the UK - but it remained difficult to obtain since the French stopped making it. But it was still made in Bohemia.
  • Port and Guinness now; smooth, deep and fruity.
  • The complete opposite of myself.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Port and Brandy is worth a try. I'd make sure I was sitting down though.
  • Adds brandy to list.
  • And a chair.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The ratio is of course up to yourself. I had a neighbour who introduced me to it apres an Ulster RU match. I had difficulty getting home that night. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I remember when Goldschlager first made an appearance in the late 90s. It was quite a striking drink - lethal to the uninitiated due to the concealed kick.

Sadly its arrival was around the same time as local drink importer, Gilbeys , stopped distributing the beloved Rumplemintz.
  • Never tried Goldschlager despite being aware of it for many a year. Rumplemintz is a new one... sounds minty?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You'd think that, but the rumple overpowers it.
  • Thinking now of dodgy combos from teenage drinking in the 90s. Blastaways being pretty rough, TNT cider (replete with dynamite shaped bottle) and Castaway, bleurgh.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    TVR anyone? Tequila, Vodka and Red Bull. Fucking lethal.
  • What's the one called where you hold a shot of Baileys in your gob and then introduce a shot of lime cordial? Actually quite nice if you can conquer your gag reflex.
  • Godfather now, a recently discovered pleasure. Amaretto, whisky and ice, topped up with a splash of water. Jazz club nice.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!