Movie Record: 2019 Edition!!

• Lifechanger
    Nifty horror lite tale of a murderous, lovelorn shapeshifter. 7.5

Charlie Wilson's War
    Hanks and Hoffman on form in Soviet-Afghan era biographical comedy drama. 8
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I love Charlie Wilson’s War. A proper underrated classic, that one.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Absolutely.

Aight. Saw a couple on imax years and years ago and for whatever reason, it didn’t seem that much better to me at the time. Recently, seen a few movies at Odeon’s isense screen (similarish to imax?) and that was great so will give imax a go next time! Maybe I’ll appreciate it more now.

It really depends on whether the IMAX near you is a real IMAX or not. A lot of screens have the IMAX brand but not the taller ratio that some movies use (Endgame, Batmans, Interstellar). That BFI IMAX is a real one. The one in Melbourne is, I think, the biggest screen in the world. Those "isense" or whatever are generally better than a normal screen but nothing compared to when a film goes full IMAX. The way it fills your whole view is something to behold.

Interstellar uses it well. That docking scene in full IMAX with that soundtrack pumping is a heart stopper.
  • poprock wrote:
    I love Charlie Wilson’s War. A proper underrated classic, that one.

And, thanks to Webbins’ reminder, I rewatched it last night.

Charlie Wilson’s War
    Smartly built ‘true story’ political and espionage thriller that displays a rare sense of humour throughout.
  • Murder Mystery
    Shitty Z-list Netflix-produced Adam Sandler vehicle with an inexplicably stellar supporting cast. What a waste of Gemma Arterton.
  • poprock wrote:
    No, Blackhat’s the one where Thor is a l33t haxx0r caught up in a Jason Bourne movie.

The Hollywood hard on for haxx0rs is hilarious. Swordfishs hacking scene is particularly funny.
    SFV - reddave360
  • That bit in Swordfish is a real double-whammy. Worst hacking scene and worst sex scene.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    That bit in Swordfish is a real double-whammy. Worst hacking scene and worst sex scene.

Penetration testing?
  • poprock wrote:
    Murder Mystery
    Shitty Z-list Netflix-produced Adam Sandler vehicle with an inexplicably stellar supporting cast. What a waste of Gemma Arterton.

"Would you like to get paid to go on a holiday to the French Riviera?"
    "Yes, yes I would" - Gemma.
  • Damn. I tried to take that bullet so no one else had to.
    JonB wrote:
    Murder Mystery
    Tired, lazy Netflix choice. Tired, lazy film. Got what we deserved. *
  • I should catch up:

Escape from Alcatraz
    I've probably seen this before. Not really a classic, but a solid prison bust drama. ***

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    Over indulgent period fetishism with a nasty streak. Stylish, empty and forgettable. **
  • JonB wrote:
    Damn. I tried to take that bullet so no one else had to.

The Mrs chose it, I was half-watching (if that) while doing some freelance work. I regret even being in the same room while it was on.
  • 27. L’Avventura

Hailed by a masterpiece, but not quite that good for me. Mostly great, but found my interest wavering towards the end. Was getting slightly restless and a bit bored, ironically. The pacing wasn’t to my liking and I have since read that it’s an issue others have with it too. But ends well and it’s mostly enjoyable; and there’s some great cinematography. Also, love me some great black and white.

[8]

28. Night of the Living Dead

Not seen it before. I can see how this would’ve been received at the time and how good it was for an indie film. It is good, but hard to fully enjoy as a first viewing right now, despite the subtext, when the genre and filming has come so far in the interim.

[7]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The Imitation Game
    Alan Turing biopic. Cumberbatch has almost every scene stolen from him by Keira Knightley, which is oddly satisfying.
  • I put Due Date on Saturday morning as a post Friday night boozy Wreckfest antidote. It's not going on my list though as it quickly became ignored and used as background noise to some Gears Pop. I don't think it was a good film.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I’ve seen it. It’s shit.
  • Yes, after five minutes, Iron Man had done nothing Iron-y Man-y, and Galifillythingy had done nothing funny at all so it was swiftly relegated.
  • I liked Due Date but its comedy innit, subjective.
    It is basically Planes, Trains and Automobiles without the heart and nowhere near as funny.

Not my favourite film ever but it's ok.
  • Catching up on the last couple of weeks viewing.

American Gangster
    Strong Ridley Scott bio of gangster Frank Lucas. Denzel and Crowe solid. 8

Safety Not Guaranteed
    Kooky and touching sci-fi rom-com, love Aubrey Plaza. 8.5

Between Two Ferns: The Movie
    Lightweight but amusing Zach Galifianakis web show spin off. 7.5

Avengement
    Gritty Scott Adkins Lahndan gangster revenge beat 'em up. Actually not bad. 7
  • That takes me to sixty so far. Not bad going at all.
  • Hard to believe Trevorrow got Jurassic World off the back of SNG, which I personally thought was sickeningly mawkish, but got a good rep elsewhere
  • I didn't get mawkish from it. I found it offbeat enough to avoid that. It struck a chord with me, that may or may not have something to do with Plaza. She was great in Ingrid Goes West too.
  • 29. Ready Or Not

Darkly comic thriller where a newlywed bride has to play a fucked up game during her wedding night as it’s family tradition. Doesn’t seem to take itself entirely seriously and at times feels like it doesn’t know what it wants to be (genre/seriousness etc). But a family enjoyable watch nonetheless.

[6]
  • Spider-man Far from home
    Improved after
    Spoiler:
    Mostly duff.
  • Webbins wrote:

Avengement
    Gritty Scott Adkins Lahndan gangster revenge beat 'em up. Actually not bad. 7
    Aye, if anyone has liked any of the Adkins/Jesse V Johnson films, then they’ll like this. On UK Netflix right now. As is:

Five Elements Ninjas
    A cinematic triumph. Wardrobe dept bring their AAA game, and by golly there are some laugh out loud dismemberments. Outstanding daftness from the Shaw Bros era.
  • Aye there's a couple more Adkins films on there I've added to my list.
  • Boyka Undisputed, Savage Dog and Triple Threat are decent. Debt Collector I stalled on and haven’t finished yet.
  • Added the lot. Not seen any of the Undisputeds though so might have to seek them out first.
  • A Simple Favour
    All over the place comedy thriller with Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively. What was it trying to be/do? I’m not sure. But it had some pretty ladies to look at.

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!