Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Heh, kept dropping as end of fight card.reward. damage output was terrible bar.bodyslam
  • 4x entrench and barricade. Woah. I can't remember if bottled lightning gives you a choice on an attack at start or power card?

Was barricade always in open?
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Over 60 hours and I’ve just met an elite I’ve not come across before! Nemesis, some skeleton with a scythe. Just before Act 3 boss and I died. :(
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Intangible mofo.
  • Yeah. I had spot weakness which then only came up when he was due to cast intangible rather than attack. 

It was a bad run. Well, could’ve been better. Mainly cos I kept forgetting the relics I had. So many times I could’ve attacked again from getting extra energy and card draw from killing one enemy but I rush the cards and forget and press button to end turn. Kept forgetting I had 1 intangible at start and sometimes started blocking instead of just attacking. Stupid.
  • Lol.

*stuff we've all done.*

Yep.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    4x entrench and barricade. Woah. I can't remember if bottled lightning gives you a choice on an attack at start or power card?

Was barricade always in open?

It wasnt hence.my low health on Donu. Went down to 2 hp in fight previous as it was.the last card.to.show

• Finished it for the first time with my third run as Silent.

Facing a donut thing and a diamond thing, I was able to use exploding corpse on one then focus all efforts on killing that, then it instantly killed the other on death.

I had some pretty good stuff going on by the end of the run. An upgraded bomb card that always appeared in my hand at the start of battle, not discarding cards at the end of a turn, etheral 1 every 6 turns, etc. Lovely.

I haven't completed it with Ironclad yet. Had about 10 tries and got to the final boss once.

It's great though. I've played a few other synergy type Roguelites before and they've never really added up to anything interesting, but the way things stack and combine in this is very clever.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It’s that being on a knife edge that works so well. They nailed the balance perfectly.
  • It’s almost like I was right when we did that article together Jon ;)
  • Ugh, made some stupid decisions and died in the 3rd act of ascension 1of ironclad. Rather annoying
  • I just got to Act 3 boss. Knight. 420hp is too much! I got him to 150 or so and died when he did an attack with 40 damage or something. Cunt.
  • Tempy wrote:
    It’s almost like I was right when we did that article together Jon ;)
    Indeed. It's a shame I hadn't played it then.

Just died on the 3rd boss again as Ironclad. Again my own fault for going for an elite not long before the boss and not going in fully healed. I probably would've done it with a chunk more HP.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I just got to Act 3 boss. Knight. 420hp is too much! I got him to 150 or so and died when he did an attack with 40 damage or something. Cunt.

He’s like a big cuddly baby. You’ll laugh at him soon.
  • Finished with Ironclad. Ended up with a build balanced towards offence and some healing.

Trashed the Timekeeper boss with demon form. Regular attacks doing 30 damage when it died.
  • I suppose I need to move on to the last character next.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Went back to this at the weekend after a break and whilst I'm still enjoying it, I feel like I'm not getting any better. I still haven't beaten the game with any of the characters though have come closest with defect.

I suspect I'm leaning too much towards defence when building my decks so don't have many cards that do big damage. I'm getting through the first act easily, battling elites where possible and only upgrading at rest sites. Only getting to act 3 about half the time and when I do, I'm not getting that close to the boss.

More tips welcome. Also, what's the significance of the floors?
  • Getting more energy has been the main thing for me so far. You often get a relic after the 1st boss that gives you more every turn, even if it means sacrificing something else.

It's all about increasing your options on every turn, I think, cutting down the random factor a little. If you have extra energy and cards that allow you to draw more cards, you'll have more choices.
  • I don't what you mean by the significance, it's just a number to track your progress. The first 3, 2 and then 1 floor in each act respectively pulls from a weaker pool of enemies at least.

All I can do is suggest the same thing I always have. I don't play it as much as I used to these days cos I am too busy, but the general idea is to not really build your deck to do a "thing" but build it do beat whatever you need it to beat next.

In Act One you'll know what boss you have to fight, and you'll have picked a path and see how many elites you have to fight next. So you know the pool of Elites on Act One is always the same: Sentries, Gremlin Nob, Lagavullin. They all punish different things - Gremlin nob will destroy you if you rely on skills, so you need good front loaded damage, Sentries rewards AoE and decent targeted damage, Lagavullin rewards the ability to scale and deploy damage that you need when you need it.

So you couple that with what the bosses need. AoE and big single target are good for Slime Boss for example, cos that lets you hit his splits, and dictate when he splits to avoid his big attack.

When picking cards, you focus on those things then. Sentries is a bit of a decoy cos any deck can take them, it's mainly attrition - so you need to fear Lagavullin and Gremlin Nob - different characters fair better/worse against them, which should be fairly obvious from their card pools.

So from there, just task yourself with picking cards that help you solve those problems, as opposed to trying to make synergies happen. Think about which Relics and Cards are just universally powerful for your build. The Silent for example just benefits massively from Caltrops and Bronze Scales because regardless of your build you're always blocking, and they both proc off number of attacks so they solve lots of problems in the game and scale really, really well. 

Backstab is similarly amazing because it is innate,and does 11 damage and then exhausts, so it fucks off forever once used and doesn't clog your deck when you need to powers and blocks more often.

From there, just focus on trying to identify what cards are good at what time? Acrobatics is amazing on silent because it synergises well with the general idea of drawing lots and having a lot of energy, two things Silent can do. But would I take it in Act One? Probably not, because I am never going to have the energy to play it, so it will waste space and take up a card draw, which is precious early on. Instead, cards like Cloak and Dagger are good because they do two things well which synergise a lot with basic things very easily.

That's the building blocks of the game. Don't run after archetypes or ideas, just focus on understanding what cards are generally pretty good without synergise, what works well on its own early on, what you're better off picking up later, and so on.
  • It's also worth thinking about how cards in your deck operate in the flow of battle. Do you want to deploy your power cards on your first cycle or second cycle? Etc
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Just go Ironclad STR scaling if you want a win as soon as, it's easy to build and fun to use
  • My first go as Defect ended on the final boss. I just had too many power cards I didn't want to play and couldn't cycle the better attack and defence cards quick enough.

Still, I can get to the final boss pretty consistently now, so it's only a matter of time.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Thanks, chaps.
    JonB wrote:
    Getting more energy has been the main thing for me so far. You often get a relic after the 1st boss that gives you more every turn, even if it means sacrificing something else. It's all about increasing your options on every turn, I think, cutting down the random factor a little. If you have extra energy and cards that allow you to draw more cards, you'll have more choices.

I've only had extra energy a few times but it has made a sizable difference. Definitely found the cards that allow more draws to be a solid asset in more recent runs.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    @Temps A lot of stuff I hadn't even realised or considered in there, amazing!

I guess I'm not paying enough attention but wasn't really picking up that the enemy types can be somewhat predicted in Act One so that will immediately change how I play. Understanding the building blocks is a great way of putting what I'm trying to achieve at this point. Back to it.
  • Every act has pools of enemies, elites and bosses, learning them is really important.
  • I'm enjoying ascension mode now, although I'm finding it considerably harder to progress than before. Daily challenge is fun too.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Champion keeps fucking me. Several times in a row now. Cunt.
  • So like half a year ago I interviewed professional Streamer and Slay the Spire genius Jorbs, and it all fell through. He got in touch with me today with an eye to posting the interview for his community. 

I felt it was a good piece and got very annoyed at the way my initial pitch (and subsequent pitches trying to rescue it) were handled by editors. It felt like being punished for having an idea that didn't fit with what was in vogue, so I'd be glad to see it come out.

Watch this space perhaps?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Would really love to see that, Jorbs is a top streamer

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!