Nintendo Switch
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Shopping around works. I bought my Lite from EBay with a copy of DQ Builders 2 for £180. There’s lots on there for around £160 without a game. Depends on how low you want it to go.
    It’s for his Xmas present and with eBay I’ll only go a known outlet. Cheers again.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • @Kernowgaz - if you want your Son to be able to play games on the Lite that you bought with your account, he'll need to play the games using your account.

I wanted my Lite to be my primary console, but this immediately stopped the kids from accessing my games through their sub accounts on the Switch at home.

Hope that makes sense.

x
  • We’ve had two switches in our house for a few years now and I still don’t fully understand the game sharing system.
  • It’s that fucking obtuse and wtf that I literally just glaze over halfway through the cans and can’ts and never take onboard what nonsense I’m reading.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    This has probably been mentioned loads and now it’s settled down and people know exactly what’s what - Game Sharing.

I was going to get my son the standard Switch but as it’s quite expensive for an 8 yr olds Xmas present we’re getting a Switch lite for him. What’s the deal regarding Game sharing ?

Primary console can be used however you’d expect it to be. Secondary console needs an internet check to validate the game license. It’s really not that bad. You can use your phone as a WiFi hotspot, at a push.

Edit: the check is needed every hour, it doesn’t need to be active at all times.

For those thinking of making the Lite their go-to portable console, it makes sense to make it the primary, as you don’t need to validate the account online before use, and can use it freely when out-and-about.

Switching primary/secondary is easy enough. You just de-register the console(s) from settings and the first one to sign into the account is the primary.

If you use cartridges, there’s no issue at all. If you are buying from the eShop, just think about who is going to be paying the games and where.

It’s a small pain, but I don’t see what the alternative is? Nintendo (as with all publishers) don’t want their games on multiple consoles at the same time - as that eats into their revenue.

Second edit: the cloud saving stuff works well too - if you’re using multiple consoles for the same game. You just need to remember to download the latest file before you leave, or use your phone again!

Sounds great so the kid just needs to be me near my phone every hour and we’re golden ?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Nintendo, bless them.

It’s almost like Nintendo don’t realise the switch is portable, especially a lite.

They want you to buy multiple consoles and the same game multiple times.
  • @Kernowgaz - if you want your Son to be able to play games on the Lite that you bought with your account, he'll need to play the games using your account.

I wanted my Lite to be my primary console, but this immediately stopped the kids from accessing my games through their sub accounts on the Switch at home.

Hope that makes sense.

x
    Cheers, I’ll have to think about that as I don’t want him copying over my saves.
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    Nintendo, bless them. It’s almost like Nintendo don’t realise the switch is portable, especially a lite. They want you to buy multiple consoles and the same game multiple times.

If it’s a big deal for people, buy physical. Nobody forced anyone to buy a very, very slightly more portable  version of their portable console.

Honestly, I don’t get the complaints.
  • But you can’t really share a physical copy in a family either. Or play multiplayer.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Andy wrote:
    mrsmr2 wrote:
    Nintendo, bless them. It’s almost like Nintendo don’t realise the switch is portable, especially a lite. They want you to buy multiple consoles and the same game multiple times.

If it’s a big deal for people, buy physical. Nobody forced anyone to buy a very, very slightly more portable  version of their portable console.

Honestly, I don’t get the complaints.

Is it that hard to understand? PS4 and Xbox allow you to game share with the PS4 being slightly harder but Nintendo will probably do the same in 3 consoles time.

• Switch is a handheld though.

Once every hour is a bit harsh but it definitely needs a connection to register.

Playing the online games requires one but I play them out and about without one so maybe they should reduce the check from every hour to however long that is?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I'm amazed gameshare exists at all in any capacity and have been since the PS3 days.  That's not an opinion on whether Nintendo should or shouldn't catch up, just me saying wow, game sharing.  I remember a Sony customer service chap practically going "LALALALA!" when I foolishly mentioned it on the phone after my first PS3 died.
  • Agreed.

I'm still amazed Netflix etc don't check the location of devices either.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Wajaa+rolled+a+random+image+posted+in+comment+33+at+_1466df15399a95bb61ddfe08cb037bc3.jpg
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'm amazed gameshare exists at all in any capacity and have been since the PS3 days.  That's not an opinion on whether Nintendo should or shouldn't catch up, just me saying wow, game sharing.  I remember a Sony customer service chap practically going "LALALALA!" when I foolishly mentioned it on the phone after my first PS3 died.

Thing is that it’s the norm for other consoles and is expected on others.
  • Don't give them any ideas!
    (at moot/retro)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • When you can take your PS4/Xbox out and about with you to play on the bus, then you have a fair comparison. You can share profiles across Switches, but you need to be briefly signed into the network. It’s only an issue because it’s a portable and you may not be near an internet connection. I’ll be the PS4/Xbox do a similar check, but you don’t even noticed because it’s at home.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    When you can take your PS4/Xbox out and about with you to play on the bus, then you have a fair comparison. You can share profiles across Switches, but you need to be briefly signed into the network. It’s only an issue because it’s a portable and you may not be near an internet connection. I’ll be the PS4/Xbox do a similar check, but you don’t even noticed because it’s at home.

I get the check part.
  • Portable bah. I was able to buy PSN games and download them on multiple consoles, including the Vita which was portable and didn’t need checks.

Now, granted, Vita didn’t have multiple profiles to manage but that was several years back.

This is Nintendo being Nintendo.
  • This is the same Nintendo that region-locked their last handheld.

The switch setup may not be a dealbreaker to many, and that’s fine, but I’ve no issue with people thinking it’s a bit shit.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    If Nintendo could get their stupid heads around things like this and online, they could probably take over the world.
  • Nah, they’re just waiting for this whole internet fad to blow over.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Usefulness is just a passing trend too.
  • And Vita still had better save management systems than the Switch does to this day.
  • The Vita was an unsung hero of modern consoles. Still remember EDGE complaining that the unboxing experience wasn't as good as an Apple Product.. wankers.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I've never unboxed an Apple product, no wonder all my unboxing experiences have been so mundane.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I've never unboxed an Apple product, no wonder all my unboxing experiences have been so mundane.
    Then how do you use the product if you just leave them in the box?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Bob wrote:
    The Vita was an unsung hero of modern consoles. Still remember EDGE complaining that the unboxing experience wasn't as good as an Apple Product.. wankers.
    Gave my nephew my Vita the other week, not sure I have had that sense of emotional attachment to any other object.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Bob wrote:
    The Vita was an unsung hero of modern consoles. Still remember EDGE complaining that the unboxing experience wasn't as good as an Apple Product.. wankers.
    Gave my nephew my Vita the other week, not sure I have had that sense of emotional attachment to any other object.

Was it like the end of Toy Story 3?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!