Begrudging Luigi's Mansion franchise thread
  • Shoulder buttons?? Omg does that auto aim you in right direction? Im spinning rounds like a twat currently. That music hall boss is a twat also.
    PSN - minkymu
  • Still loving it
    PSN - minkymu
  • They make it easier to dual stick whilst using the hoover.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Has anyone had a look in the controller settings? I was struggling too at first but it’s much better now.
    3DS friend code: 2809-8024-1882
    AC: New Leaf: James (Ardis) 
    Wii U: BennyProfane
    Switch: SW-4893-5168-5693
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I set the aiming to horizontal only on the stick, and did the vertical with the pad's/Switch's motion controls. I can also recommend using the shoulder buttons as much as possible. You also have to bear in mind that the right stick works a bit differently to other games: it's more 'I want Luigi to face this direction' than 'I want Luigi to turn in this direction', if that makes sense.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Been playing this a bit over the past couple of days. Co-op works fine, happy we switched. Was going to moan about the controls but SG's tip will save me trying to find an extra finger from somewhere.
  • The controls really are quite iffy in this, not enough to take the shine off but enough to appear incongruous alongside the quality on display elsewhere.  As expected it's hugely inventive and boss heavy though, so I'm having a great time with it.  I only played it briefly in sp, and I'm sure the switch-to-Googi thing works fine but it does seem well suited to co-op imo.  Cleared the movie themed floor yesterday, I expect my GotY list will need another reshuffle.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's almost like you shouldn't bother with a goty list till the end of the year ...
  • Up to the 12th floor. Anyone else think the rubber dingy boss was hideous? I switched off in disgust after the first couple of tries. Got it done in the end, but thought it was eyebrow raisingly crap for a big franchise Ninty effort.

Game is on course for an [8] as it's chock full of wondrousness and ingenuity, but I defy anyone to play it without being being nagged by the niggles.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yeah that was horrible, and it was the one where my mother in law went, "o that was an easy one"...

Design of the floors is absolutely great, animation is really good, controls aren't as good as they should be, and there are some bosses that would have been a lot easier in 2p.

It's a good thing a floor can be done in about an hour, so it always feels like you're making progress, couple of filler sections messing that up though. They're not that bad either in the end.
  • Maybe the reversed controls come easy to some but I was all fingers and thumbs for that boss.

I've played the whole thing in 2p since the appearance of Gooigi, and at times I've wondered whether solo play might be a touch chore-like in comparison. I'm sure it works fine, but not having to shift controls to do certain puzzles bit by bit is working for us.
  • The cat sections can get in the bin despite that being a wonderfully designed character.
  • And that dinghy boss is an absolute travesty.
  • I was mad at the guy piano asshole. Played the next level while listening to a YouTube video about the mclibel case but couldn’t be bothered to play more.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    B hated that boss too, so so far I only know about his mom who didn't have any trouble with it. And she ain't the best at games usually.

Piano guy wasn't that great either. I do like a lot of the ideas behind bosses, but it's really the controls that are close to ruining it at times.

I didn't mind the cat, but seeing B fight him made me realize I was overcomplicating it.

I also still am mad that I haven't found any Boo naturally. I'm the best at finding hidden stuff, but these I just didn't spot. And I thought the rumble was gonna make it easier.

@Moot, let me know how the floor
    Spoiler:
    boss feels like in co op.

(spoilered the floor number just in case)
  • Yeah, that bit in Ninas spoiler really really felt like it needed to be played in co-op.  I just bruted through with about a trillion golden bones.
  • The fucking aiming controls are so fucking bad , or is it me? How can Nintendo fuck up basic controls???????
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • It's not just you. There's a brilliant game trapped in there somewhere but the execution drags it down considerably. I've just unlocked the 13th floor and I'm starting to think a [7] fits better than an [8]. It maaaaybe scrapes an 8 thanks to co-op.
  • Can you change anything in the settings?

Not had a proper go but did a boss for my son, it looks amazing and I’m chuffed it’s stopped him from playing Minecraft all the time.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • You can relegate the up/down aiming to the gyro controls (which I do), and enable turning while charging the torch (which I don't do). Whatever you choose it's a bit of a faff at times tbh.

A very good (full campaign) co-op mode opens up after 90 mins or so if you want to play together.

Edit: Think you need two sets of joycons or an extra pad though.
  • The torch + movement really should be based on the robotron/twin stick model.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I haven't played this yet but aren't the controls the same in the original and Dark Moon?

Surely those of you who played those knew what you was in for?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I can't remember how they felt in the other games tbh, not the same I'd imagine due to the extra analogue stick available here? I dont remember being annoyed much by LM2 anyway. Plus six/eighteen years is a long time in game years, I think it's fair to expect refinement when franchises require them.
  • I had a new3DS so used the nub as a second analog for both Dark Moon and the re-release a few months back.

Don't remember them being an issue, so I'm intrigued to see if they've been changed for this.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • DP
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    B only played the Gamecube game, and he was convinced the controls were different (think that one was made by Nintendo, and the other two by Next Level?). I've only played 2 and I felt the controls weren't that great on that one either.

It isn't bad enough to take away the overall enjoyment, but I kinda expected it to play a bit better by now. Especially since all the reviews are raving about the game (not that I read any), and everyone I see posting about this as well. Although I suspect a lot of those posts aren't from people that got very far into the game yet.
  • I seem to remember the original required you to reel the ghosts in with the little yellow stick - kinda like a fishing rod? Could be wrong though, mind plays tricks...
  • Managed to completely finish the single player this weekend - love the whole game, except for the boat boss which was terrible. 

Definitely an 8 for me, and only not a 9 due to length.

I tried a bit of scarescraper, but the timer seems extremely tight for solo play. With a group I suspect that will be really good fun.
  • Think I'm 2/3rds of the way through now, just got floor 9. This is just great fun, some challenges but not overall difficult. Game play is entertaining and the tone of it is fun.

I may actually prefer it to the first one.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!