ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Fuck it. It’s staying.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    It's a holder for your Wham chewbar.
    Handy. Soften it up for you with a bit of warmth.
    Its gonna be the best console ever.
    That slot is to print tickets, like the machines at the arcades. It's instead of a gamerscore.
    You need 1000 tickets to get a Wham bar. Blank tickets come in rolls of 500 and cost £7.99
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • PlayStation to show PS5 and details including price and date on February 15th.

https://twitter.com/PIayStaton/status/1223289774053756929?s=09
  • Any chance that'll be done during a Nintendo style direct?
    The Forum Herald™
  • That’s not a real account, Davi. It’s handle is misspelt.
  • Andy wrote:
    That’s not a real account, Davi. It’s handle is misspelt.

Fuck!
  • There's been a smattering of new game announcements now, all stating that they'll be releasing across all platforms, both old and new.  So what's the message going to be? Play this game on PS5 / Xbox Series X for all the latest bells and whistles! Play it on PS4  Pro / Xbox One for some new bells!  Play it on your old console with shit all bells!   

It's going to be a garbled message, and a marketing man's nightmare for sure. Unless it turns out that they are going to drop wholesale gameplay features for the older models.  Remember how Monolith chose to axe the Nemesis system from the Xbox 360 versions of Shadow of Mordor?   Is this what the new next gen has in store, only more?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • It is the exact same thing that has happened the past 2 generations.
    In fact there are examples going back further than that.
  • Quick examples off the top of my head not including annual sports releases.

360/Bone
    Alien Isolation, CoD, Saints Row, Titty1, Mordor, GTAV

OGXbox or PS2/360
    Burnout, Gun, King Kong, Star Wars Force Unleashed, Alone in the Dark, Tony Hawk's (Proving ground iirc)

Ps1/Ps2
    Tony Hawk's 3 (maybe 4 as well)

Normally the old gen versions suffered somewhat but there are some great games there on both systems. I mean GTAV remains one of the most technically accomplished titles on the 360 and Bone gens.
  • Gta was released a year later on Ps4 and Xbox One.
  • Yeah but I'm having it anyway as it is a strong example of how this is a massively over inflated non-issue.
  • Oh, I forgot Destiny.
  • Speccy 48k vs 128k?
  • LivDiv wrote:
    It is the exact same thing that has happened the past 2 generations. In fact there are examples going back further than that.
    Yeah I think they're just being more explicit about something they do anyway. It's partly because they're transitioning to being a continuous service instead of a box you buy. And probably publishers can't or won't spend big money on releasing games on one of either the shrinking install base of a last-gen console or the small install base of a brand new one.
  • Yeah I think it is massively about the affordability of developing games for just one or the other, or the third option of having to retool one to work on the other.

I just can't see how even with first party games that it could be affordable to develop a AAA game that stresses the system (in a good way) for just an early adaptor install base.
    That shit hasn't really happened since the N64.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Yeah but I'm having it anyway as it is a strong example of how this is a massively over inflated non-issue.

It is a bit of an over inflated issue (I think most of us are maybe just disappointed that despite promises of this being a bigger tech jump than the last gen we aren't really going to see anything groundbreaking for a while on the new machines) but gtav is definitely not a good example of this.

It was made for the consoles of the day - even the pc version was later. Zelda BOTW is a better example as it was the same game developed at the same time for 2 different consoles and not much time in between release wise.
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    It is a bit of an over inflated issue (I think most of us are maybe just disappointed that despite promises of this being a bigger tech jump than the last gen we aren't really going to see anything groundbreaking for a while on the new machines).
    Yeah, I think so. It sounds a bit shit at first, but probably won't make much difference if games are cross-gen or not for a while. An odd thing to advertise at this stage, perhaps, if you're looking to attract early adopters.

The base PS4/XBone versions of the AAA games are going to be a bit ropey though, so I think an upgrade will be required regardless for those of us who didn't make the mid-gen jump.
  • In old fashioned terms:

Series x/ ps5 = snes/ megadrive
    Bone x/ ps4 Pro = pc engine
    Bone/ ps4 = nes/ master system

Switch is obviously gameboy
    SFV - reddave360
  • What is Game Gear? Stadia?
  • LivDiv wrote:
    What is Game Gear? Stadia?

Stadia is Philips cdi.

Game gear is playing Gamepass on a surface Pro 4.

SFV - reddave360
  • LivDiv wrote:
    It is the exact same thing that has happened the past 2 generations. In fact there are examples going back further than that.

This is the first time AAA games are going to be released over 3 different iterations of hardware though.  PS4, Pro and PS5, et al.  It's unprecedented and it's got me worried. Games hamstrung by having to squeeze into lower specs or hobbled versions for the older consoles. Take yer pick.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • It's not an issue on pc.
    It won't be an issue on consoles.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:

This is the first time AAA games are going to be released over 3 different iterations of hardware though.  PS4, Pro and PS5, et al.  It's unprecedented and it's got me worried. Games hamstrung by having to squeeze into lower specs or hobbled versions for the older consoles. Take yer pick.

3 is a stretch. 2.5 maybe but really the X and Pro are just sitting in between this gen and the next. Could put 57 iterations in there if the gap between the top and bottom remains the same.

Instead of worrying why not wait to actually see some games. If the launch games are shit I very much doubt it will be down to this.
  • This literally alway happens at every new gen. idgi? What exactly is the fuss/story? Every major multi format game releases on both old and new gen for the first 12 -24 months then, FIFA and Just Dance apart, they all segue over to new gen. It happens every fucking time.
  • This literally alway happens at every new gen. idgi? What exactly is the fuss/story? Every major multi format game releases on both old and new gen for the first 12 -24 months then, FIFA and Just Dance apart, they all segue over to new gen. It happens every fucking time.

Microsoft were talking about 1 disc that runs on both rather than making an old gen port.
  • It’s the way you tell them Dante
    The Forum Herald™
  • Don’t forget that even with “lower specs” there are other hamstrings such as “people” and “time” and “money”.

I mean realistically speaking to ask for day one pure 4k game you would need to have had people working since 3 years ago (normal AAA time) but with 3/4 times the size of the team on the hope that a game would be a smash on day one for a console which will have its smallest install base?

Mad.
  • Given that discs arent much more than serial numbers these days I'm not sure it matters.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!