The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • You must be right Moot, I was thinking that the reason for upgrading this gen was to play the best possible version of the same games. So I thought that thinking would lead to X owners being more likely to keep up with the Joneses. And Pro owners seeing the logic behind it. Maybe not.

It was the only reason to upgrade, that part seems indisputable.  But if I'd spent £400 to keep up with the Joneses I reckon I'd be okay with them pulling away a year or two later.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    I don't understand why this means people immediately get a ps5 over Xbox
    I think, with no disrespect intended to anyone, this is all a bit of a case of nerds on a forum getting over excited and picky. I'm not sure it means the same to average Joe on the street.
    MS announce their first party games will support the existing hardware for a year or two. This has been taking as "OMG all Series X games will be nerfed, there's no point upgrading, only PS5 will provide a true next gen experience".
    (obviously I've exaggerated for effect, not putting words in any particular persons mouth).

The more I think on it, the more I think it's a brave move and good for consumers...it softens the cliff edge for the life of the current machines.
    Barring some weird hardware anomaly, 3rd party games at launch will be basically identical.
    The way I see it, the only way you'll get a game with a noticable 'new gen difference' between the xboxseriesxwhatever or PS5 related to this announcement, is if a Sony 1st party/exclusive is made with some sort of revolutionary ai/cpu usage that maxes the hardware and redefines the genre (and at launch no less), at the same time that MS 1st party releases a similar game in a same genre where they could have used the same system but chose not to in order to make it easier to keep it compatible with older hardware....a scenario i reckon is pretty unlikely.

People should buy whichever console they want of course. But basing that choice on guessing which first party games at launch you think will be using the higher % of the max theoretical performance of the machine, rather than how the actual games play or something, seems a bit odd.

then again, i wouldn't be upgrading at launch either way, so i'm quite happy with the idea that if some of you do upgrade xbox, i can potentially still play with you for a while.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • The flip side is, for the average person the xbox games will all be available on exsisiting formats. Sony will (I assume) have genuine, exclusive games. Stuff you can only get if you jump on board the ps5.

For what it's worth, the ms approach suits me. But I've also been a fan of a one console standard for years yet I always get told it will stagnate the industry. Yet I kinda feel that's what Ms are establishing here. A standard where as long as you have some form of ms operating system you can get these games.

I can say now pretty confidently I won't be getting a ps5 at launch. I might not even get one ever. My ms sub tied to Gamepass tied to the xbox under my table gives me more than enough but I doubt I'm the target console audience anymore. And I won't be getting an xbox series x at launch when I know I don't need to so I might as well wait for a bit of a price drop.

(the best thing Ms can do, imo, is bundle 3 to 6 months of Gamepass gold with every series x. That's an incredible starter bundle pack for anyone who wants to give xbox a try)
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    (the best thing Ms can do, imo, is bundle 3 to 6 months of Gamepass gold with every series x. That's an incredible starter bundle pack for anyone who wants to give xbox a try)

I think that’s a given. Maybe even a year’s membership.

Sony have a stronger brand and have sold a lot more consoles this gen and the last gen. But the market is slowly pivoting around to Microsoft’s way of doing things – online first, ongoing compatibility, and games as a service. The question is whether consumers move over because of MS doing that well, or whether they stick with Sony as Sony rush to catch up on the business models.

In truth, it probably doesn’t matter. The market is big enough for both to be successful. Only geeks care which one ‘wins’.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The geeks win I reckon. Plenty of options available, loads of games to play.
  • A years Gamepass would be insane good value.

Wonder how that would affect third parties looking to be part of the first wave, knowing that the owners of every series x already has access to a range of top games without paying a penny.
    SFV - reddave360
  • i do think for me that gamepass is a much bigger selling point than any theoretical performance difference. i wonder if Sony will announce something similar to go with PS5, a PS++ sort of thing that includes all their games etc.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Eventually I reckon Microsoft will be paying third parties cold hard cash to license their titles for Gamepass.
  • The Steam library model Vs the game pass subscription model is also very interesting. I guess MS is experimenting with it to see whether they can wrestle away gamers from Steam and having them migrate to Xbox. Long term strategy but it will be interesting to see how that pans out.

As for 'next gen', I strongly suspect 3rd party devs will focus on the 2 latest released consoles. A bit like this gen I suppose. Lighter/older titles might support all 3 hw configs. I really can't see devs supporting more than the latest 3hw configs. With a new model being released every 3 years a console can last you up to 9 years or so? The last 3 years you'll probably be forced to low settings and half assed support. Not to mention missing out on 'true' next gen titles and shinies. Most people (true gamers!) will upgrade at the 6 year mark so not much change there.

Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Microsoft would love to have you pay a bigger subscription and hire you the latest console for free. Same as Apple are now offering with the iPhone. Pay them enough per month and you get every new iPhone as it comes along.
  • For sure.. same as everything else these days.. don't own it have unlimited access to it!
    The Forum Herald™
  • And yet as much as everyone here raves about Gamepass, isn't it always on sale in some form or another?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Not really.
    Just a rather generous introductory offer if you know how to manipulate it.

Once that introductory period is over there arent any deals on it other than the odd CDkeys deal that you get on all gaming subs.
  • poprock wrote:
    Eventually I reckon Microsoft will be paying third parties cold hard cash to license their titles for Gamepass.

Eh? I’m pretty sure they do that now, they have to pay for the games on there. Perhaps I’ve misread your point though?
  • I may have missed the point. I thought everything on Gamepass was first-party titles? Studios owned by Microsoft?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    No, there's more non Microsoft stuff than anything else. You do get Microsoft studio stuff on it from day one though. Most of the other stuff takes a year or so to make it's way on there.
  • Okay, ignore that point from me then.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Microsoft will have the most powerful hardware setting the standard once again, legions of developers, console purchasing plans, hundreds of titles via cheap subscription, and a game streaming service across multiple hardware and platforms.

I'd say they've got their ducks in a row.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Except for VR. I’ll admit they’ve dropped the ball on that, so far.

I reckon that’s a deliberate choice though, after being burned on Kinect.
  • I just don't think the numbers are there.
    PSVR has just broken the 5 million mark.

Presumably those people would be unlikely to buy a second VR set for a console so that figure would be shared. If the sales were divided up in the same way as console sales it could be as low or possibly lower than 2 million for a hypothetical Xbox VR.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Much as I'd like them to, looking at Sony only managing to shift 5m PSVR's in 3 years, it's not worth their investment.

Edit: Snapdragon!
  • I think they’re happy to let Sony lose money on PSVR and watch Facebook take the Quest mainstream. As far as Microsoft are concerned, the Quest is hardly competition – they probably put them in the same ‘not-quite a competitor’ category as Nintendo.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Smart Boner owners will see the Quest as their second console.
  • If anything I imagine MS might try to work with one of the other manufacturers to get their VR working on Series X then offer games through their store on console and PC.

I can't see much point in them developing their own model, the market looks to be in flux at the moment anyway.
  • Is VR not profitable for Sony then? Those units aren't cheap, nor are the controllers, and 5 million seems like a healthy enough number for a peripheral that will have its own attach rate for software.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I don't want to believe it, but Kinect apparently sold 10m units within 60 days of its release, and broke a Guinness record in the process.

https://venturebeat.com/2011/03/09/microsoft-sells-10m-kinects/

Dear me.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Is VR not profitable for Sony then? Those units aren't cheap, nor are the controllers, and 5 million seems like a healthy enough number for a peripheral that will have its own attach rate for software.

Only Sony can answer that and I doubt they will tell.
    R&D, marketing etc eats into those figures a fair bit.

It isn't so much about making some profit but the risk/reward of that profit. I don't think they will be making money hand over fist and it isn't really a console seller either.

I'm not suggesting PSVR is a flop, far from it, but it isn't doing the numbers to make it worthwhile making a competitor for.
  • Microsoft will also be doing the stream to any device thing... Will be interesting how that plays out. Shame it isn't on iOS yet
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Move controllers were designed to work with a future VR headset, so its certainly been a long term ambition, and the sales of Move will have paid for some VR R&D costs.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!