The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • I just want to know is 2020 the year that fucking WiiU finally comes out???
  • I think it's been delayed again.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • The New New U ControllUr takes time.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    For me it boils down to this: extra shinies are nice, but I'm much more likely to buy a new console if it gets me access to games I couldn't otherwise play. MS are saying there will be zero (first party) games in that category, for two years. That definitely makes me less likely to buy the new console.

Not saying I won't, or others won't, but it's a less compelling sales pitch for sure. And yes, historically, some games are only available on the new gen console for reasons that stretch beyond technical limitations of the older system. And yes arguably that's bad. But it still risks being a major footgun IMHO.
  • I just realised there's a counterpoint to all this which means there's no cost, in performance terms, to MS. It's still a PR blunder, i'd argue, but yeah...it won't cost them anything in terms of game design.

Who are their first parties?

343 - already confirmed Halo Infinite for both gens. This announcement has no effect.
    The collective - Just released Gears 5, won't have a title out in the next 2 years, no effect.
    Obsidian - Outer Worlds and new Honey I shrunk the kids titles out or coming soon. No effect.
    We Happy Few and State Of Decay teams - not AAA and years away from follow ups. No effect.
    Ninja Theory - Hellblade 2 announced BUT their brawler is out first. Game may not be released in first 2 years and, shinies aside, is unlikely to push hardware (e.g. no big open world or mass AI) - likely no effect.
    Double Fine - Psyconauts 2 already announced - this gen - no effect

Turn 10 - Forza team - possible effect, but a new Horizon should be cross-gen-able, unlikely to influence Fable title (?)

Rare - the wild card

So, this announcement is unlikely to change anything in the MS first-party pipeline. It's bad PR from a perception standpoint, perhaps, but it won't actually change anything.
  • Yeah I was thinking earlier on.

Is this MS hitting devs with a cross-gen stick or did they sort of realise it is unlikely to be an issue anyway, speak to the devs and request cross gen capabilities for the stuff they will be releasing in the first 24 months.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Yeah I was thinking earlier on. Is this MS hitting devs with a cross-gen stick or did they sort of realise it is unlikely to be an issue anyway, speak to the devs and request cross gen capabilities for the stuff they will be releasing in the first 24 months.

Aye. Only possible issue i can see is Rare, if they have a new title, and the fundamental design of Halo Infinite. Other than that, their first-party teams still needs 24-36 months to deliver anything we haven't seen already.
  • A Rare game was shown recently I believe. Looked a bit BotW-ish, can't remember the name.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    A Rare game was shown recently I believe. Looked a bit BotW-ish, can't remember the name.

Oh yeah, I remember that. My bad.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Hoping for Sea of Thieves 2.
    Oh wait, we're still playing the first one.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Everwild.
    It was announced in November and said to be in early development so probably wont hit the first couple of years either.
  • The Dead Rising debate also doesn't account for the different developers involved. I think only the first was developed in house by Capcom Japan the others were farmed out which could account for the different mechanics.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Hoping for Sea of Thieves 2. Oh, wait we're still playing the first one.

First seems like it has (sea) legs, tbh. I'd happily jump on SoT1 on SeriesX. No need for 2 that quickly. 
    LivDiv wrote:
    Everwild. It was announced in November and said to be in early development so probably wont hit the first couple of years either.

That's the one.
  • @LivDiv

Even if it does it didn't strike me as somehing that needed a ton of grunt to look good. It looked great for sure, but it looked like a current gen game. Especially considering BotW is a previous gen game (of sorts).
  • Eric wrote:
    The Dead Rising debate also doesn't account for the different developers involved. I think only the first was developed in house by Capcom Japan the others were farmed out which could account for the different mechanics.

It doesn't work for another reason. People compare Dead Rising 1 to 3 or 4. But compare Dead Rising 1 to what came BEFORE and what do you see? A title within the first 12 months or so or the 360s life cycle that couldn't have existed on the OG Xbox.
  • @Moot
    Seems like something where there could be scalable elements.
    More wildlife running around, better foliage etc.

Hard to say really as gameplay is all assumed at the moment.
  • Don’t forget that MIcrosoft also wants people to be on their Forever Monthly Plan and in their minds a hard break between gens is non sensical. You know you transition over to the next console when one plan ends and you have nothing to play - whereas now the idea must be you constantly move on but have an upgraded existing library.
  • Don’t forget that MIcrosoft also wants people to be on their Forever Monthly Plan and in their minds a hard break between gens is non sensical. You know you transition over to the next console when one plan ends and you have nothing to play - whereas now the idea must be you constantly move on but have an upgraded existing library.

That is a big part of it.
    Get people on that merry go round of paying £50 per month or whatever and getting an upgrade every few years.
    After a while people get used to not having that £50 like they do with phone contracts or other utilities.It is a forgotten payment, often lined up around payday anyway.
    By PS6 time the Xbox almost feels free whereas Sony will want £500 again.
  • So in a nutshell:

If I have a Xbox One S (which I do) and I have Gamepass... there's no reason for me to upgrade to either an xbox one x or an xbox series x in the next 2 years from a MS point of view. I'll have access to all their games and my console will play them all. Granted, not as pretty or not as smoothly but still, it'll do. 

So If I want to jump on new tech come Xmas 2020, PS5 will offer the best feels. I can keep my Bone S, and wait for the series X to drop in price or a new model to come out in 2022, while still playing any third party games at their shiniest on the ps5.

Have I got the above right?
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    So in a nutshell: If I have a Xbox One S (which I do) and I have Gamepass... there's no reason for me to upgrade to either an xbox one x or an xbox series x in the next 2 years from a MS point of view. I'll have access to all their games and my console will play them all. Granted, not as pretty or not as smoothly but still, it'll do.  So If I want to jump on new tech come Xmas 2020, PS5 will offer the best feels. I can keep my Bone S, and wait for the series X to drop in price or a new model to come out in 2022, while still playing any third party games at their shiniest on the ps5. Have I got the above right?

Yes.
  • OK. I dont get this approach from MS. If they were in the strongest position (ie the Sony role) it would make sense as you have those 100 million machines out there and all that brand loyalty. I dont see this helping getting Xbox back to where it can really be called a competitior to the Playstation format.

Or maybe this is microsoft moving away from hardware in a way and really just focusing on the service. Whats the chance of a nintendo machine or even an apple or google machine playing an xbox gamepass app in the near future? 

I confused.
    SFV - reddave360
  • It's all about the xbox service. And that includes w10.
    That's why ms isn't bothered by Sony's success. They've got w10 as their trump card.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Don't think about console generations, don't think about consoles at all. Think about access to digital store fronts.

edit: or what Hunk said.
  • Yeah, I can get on board with that. Im not sure if it will work but I'm paying them a sub at the moment and playing games on an xbox on a w10 machine so suits me.
    SFV - reddave360
  • It is a long term game I think.
    What we don't know, or don't know the whole story for is how much either company makes from different revenue streams.
    Hardware is normally sold at a loss a for a good chunk of a console's life, that will certainly be the case this time round as well.
    Attach rates are important, often the lead console is the preference of the person who buys FIFA every year, one CoD game and an unplayed Ass Crud that came with the console.
    Buying from digital stores over physical has to what, double the profit?
    Subs and sub-retention as well.
  • Microsoft deffo have the best bang for buck re. Services. But, the Day One choice is easy now. PS5, then Xbox with some stupidly generous deal several years later.
  • Or maybe ms hop you skip the big expensive ps5 and go for a better value x? Dunno, just guessing.

I think your right LivDiv, it would be interesting to see how the revenue works. If you can get the money from game pass and game sales without the hassle of hardware, maybe its for the best.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Isn't most hardware sold at a loss early on, allegedly?
  • Wait, there are loads of new posts and liv has already said that. Ignore me.
  • Would my original Bone work with these Series X games, or does it need to be at least an S?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!