The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • I think this will be the first launch season since dreamcast I skip. More interested at this stage in finishing the yakuza saga and BOTW 2 and lots of other great current gen stuff.

Not that I doubt next gen will have goodies. Just no need to early adopt when we are already spoilt with too many good ones now.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela wrote:

Not that I doubt next gen will have goodies. Just no need to early adopt when we are already spoilt with too many good ones now.

It will be interesting if third party follow Microsofts approach and we don't see any next gen specific titles for a few years from anyone.

SFV - reddave360
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    "Microsoft have no games!"
    "Yes we do, we've got loads coming out now, and you won't even have to buy a new machine to play them just yet".
    "Booo!"

I don't think the reaction here is "boo". I think this is most likely good for consumers. But I'm not convinced all will see it that way, or that it will help the Xbox brand.

It might be a good thing in terms of current gen console sales, and for software sales. But I suspect it might damage next gen console sales, which could be a long term concern.

In particular, if 1 in 5 upgrade sure to shinies alone (per stat on the past page), then will that mean only 20% of folk go to the next series X bump? Vs a comparatively much higher number of PS folk going to PS5 for it's new exclusives? I think that should be a worry for MS if so. But I'm guessing somebody there has run some numbers, factoring in the bigger picture - in particular if they vote this the new trend (ie there will be no PS6) then maybe they're just getting ahead of the curve.

Time will no doubt tell.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Think you nailed it Muzzy. I want MS to be successful. I worry this will hamper their success. But as you said time will tell.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I guess there was a bit of a "boo" about nerfed current gen games. But tbh I think that's more of a problem on Sony's side. With MS's API control etc I suspect it's easy to dial stuff in gently, whereas if Sony do a bigger rearchitecting then there's a rush you start having a different company doing the old gen version and crap spiralling from there. IMO etc.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What were the first truly "next gen" games of this generation? Games that couldn't be done on previous hardware?
  • What'll be the support model for next gen? I'm guessing it'll be tiered like pc is nowadays ie low/med/hi settings with low being base (720-900p), med being pro/X (1080p-1440p) and high being next gen (1080p-4k ).
    Effects will likely scale by model with raytracing being the most expensive?

My guess is they won't ever support more than the last 3 models at any one time. Which means after 3x3 years your model will probably become 'unsupported' forcing you to upgrade. The goalpost of low/mid/high will of course move in time with every next gen.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • What were the first truly "next gen" games of this generation? Games that couldn't be done on previous hardware?
    Battlefield 4 was 32 v 32 pretty soon after launch, the previous gen version was limited to 12 v 12.

I don't think there will be any sort of leap forward these days, just some sort of better framerate/shiny combination. It seems a long time ago that we were looking at PC games and dreaming of console ports. No one makes games that won't work on as many machines as possible any more. Developers were happy with a million sales back in the PS2 era, the studio shuts down if you do that now.
  • Destiny was ruined for me by Halo, Overwatch and For Honor. I just want 60fps as standard, great graphics, a focus on infrastructure for online play (dedicated servers, natch) and MOAR POWER.

Also, XCloud on my Switch for pared down versions would be a dream.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    @Iain Battlefield was what I was thinking of as something possible on both gens, just with a few added extras on current gen. Titanfall was the same.

I jumped on to the current gen with Titanfall only because you lot left me high and dry on the last gen. PS4 I got for Bloodborne, and I'm not sure what that's doing that the current gen couldn't.
  • Cross play for all major multiplayer titles would be nice too, but I can't see Sony allowing it if they have another sizeable numbers advantage.
  • If sales figure are correct, Sony are ahead by more than 2 to 1.

Nearly every PlayStation has hit over 100 million sales (in fact they might all have)

Fair play to Ms and nintendo for even staying in the game
    SFV - reddave360
  • Sony seem to be crumbling on cross play, so I suspect you'll see more titles doing it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    What were the first truly "next gen" games of this generation? Games that couldn't be done on previous hardware?

I'm not sure. But if something's only available up gen, even though possible down gen, then the question is moot from some angles
  • I still prefer using my Xbox over ps4, particularly for multiplayer games. But I'm glad I have both to appreciate all the games I could this gen and will do the same next gen.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Sony seem to be crumbling on cross play, so I suspect you'll see more titles doing it.
    This is true. Hopefully it becomes standard.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Good video from Linus Tech Tips. Not all just about Xbox despite the title.

https://youtu.be/QJViG3pTYzA

Interesting idea behind one of the benefits of game streaming services that I hadn’t thought about.

Freesync isn’t an open standard. I learned something today.

I want a 4K/120 OLED LG TV!
  • Sony has just announced they will not be at E3 this year. The game is afoot!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Ah the old Nintendo style not appearing at e3 again?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Xbox wins E3

Sony shat it.
    Xbox - Boozy The Clown
    Forza4Lyfe
  • Wow that's pretty big news on the eve of a new console release. Bet the organisers are a bit peeved.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • g.man wrote:
    Sony has just announced they will not be at E3 this year. The game is afoot!

I think Sony have issues with the owners/hosts of e3. Can imagine they'll do their own conference again like last time
  • It's a logical move. Let Microsoft shoot themselves in the foot, then come out and promise the moon on a stick. The circle is complete.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    It's a logical move. Let Microsoft shoot themselves in the foot, then come out and promise the moon on a stick. The circle is complete.

Basically what they did last time!
  • I do think it's a shame the way e3 is going. As someone who grew up loving the bombardment of news and excitement around e3 I'm going to miss it.
  • I don’t see how Sony not attending E3 is either surprising or news. When they announced their non-attendance last year, it was because they thought the format was redundant, not that they didn’t have anything to show. That hasn’t changed.
  • The format is redundant. It probably needs to get back to being a trade show.
  • Andy wrote:
    I don’t see how Sony not attending E3 is either surprising or news. When they announced their non-attendance last year, it was because they thought the format was redundant, not that they didn’t have anything to show. That hasn’t changed.

Entirely logical but I suspect many people thought they'd come back and make a big deal about PS5 what with it being released at the end of the year.

Props to them for doing their own Nintendo inspired thing.
    The Forum Herald™
  • g.man wrote:
    It's a logical move. Let Microsoft shoot themselves in the foot, then come out and promise basically nothing new. The circle is complete.

• Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!