Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I guess the flipside is it stops people not buying a BoneX today cos they're worried they won't be able to play next year's games?
  • The 360 games that are compatible with the One - can you buy these through the One storefront? Like Skate 3, can you buy that on the One? Or are they just somewhere deep in the library on your account and you can download them from there?
  • That's the theory but at this end of the generation they're clearly not early adopters anyway...
    The Forum Herald™
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    It does seem a weird move. Most marketing is always full of guff that this new console takes games to a whole new level. Never before possible features. Now they’re effectively saying Yeah it’s just graphics stuff. Is it really worth the extra console sales on the Bone between now and the end of the year to hamper the next console in this way.

This sounds like people are pining for stuff like the cloud bullshit. Plenty of ambition shown there in theory, very little end product.
  • I think this is a really good move.
    I know so many non gamer parents who when their kids want a new console always ask the same question “what do you mean it can’t play all their old games? That’s stupid! If I’m paying £400 for the new version I don’t want to have to buy all new games for it too!”
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Both backwards and forwards compatibility is a good thing for the wider market as a whole, means that when a person can afford to upgrade they have a whole library already waiting for them and those who can’t quite afford it yet won’t have to be left behind when everyone else upgrades.

As it’s been stated, not all games will do this, MS have just stated their first party ones will. And it’s likely only to be for a transition year by which time hopefully those who want to upgrade will be able to without paying huge day one prices
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I think this is a really good move. I know so many non gamer parents who when their kids want a new console always ask the same question “what do you mean it can’t play all their old games? That’s stupid! If I’m paying £400 for the new version I don’t want to have to buy all new games for it too!”

Backwards compatibility is not the same thing as this.
  • remember, we’re all gamers and have been for many years. We’re on here so we must be. We are still a small percentage of the market, this is a good move for those who buy the consoles for their kids
  • Dante, read my second post
  • zMFiuCC.jpg
  • monkey wrote:
    It does seem a weird move. Most marketing is always full of guff that this new console takes games to a whole new level. Never before possible features. Now they’re effectively saying Yeah it’s just graphics stuff. Is it really worth the extra console sales on the Bone between now and the end of the year to hamper the next console in this way.

This sounds like people are pining for stuff like the cloud bullshit. Plenty of ambition shown there in theory, very little end product.
    I’m not advocating a pro-bullshit marketing campaign. It just seems weird to intentionally limit how far you can push your games.

I’m not against this anyway. There’s pros and cons but “Your console will last a couple of years longer and still play all the latest games” is hardly the worst announcement MS have ever made about a new console.
  • What games actually pushed that side of things early this gen?

Shadow of Mordor was the same game, fundamentally, but with reworked Nemesis mechanics for the older systems. What's to say they won't just do similar here?

Not that I'm fussed. I'm all in at this point. Halo tattoos and everything.
  • I dont see what is stopping Microsoft having 1 or 2 AAA Next Gen games to have at launch. They could still have several of the big titles (like Halo or indeed anything that will work better would a large player base) as suitable for X-Boxes but I do think new tech needs a few show-stoppers to really help promote it. Especially if Sony are doing the more normal thing of having key launch titles. As said, the next x-box could look a lower tech model with this approach to the ps5 even if it isnt.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Plus we haven’t seen anything of the games yet. They’ll have some very shiny new games to show off, don’t worry :)
  • Pretty sure Halo will have incredible performance on a new system, just scaled back on older hardware. Even now Halo 5 is seriously impressive.
  • I just had a look at the ps4 and xbone launch titles.

I can confidently say we'll be fine with this approach. Nothing to see here.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    AAA doesn't mean "does things the last gen couldn't do" does it?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    We're only talking about games Microsoft are producing remember. Everyone else can do what they like still.
  • What games actually pushed that side of things early this gen?

Shadow of Mordor was the same game, fundamentally, but with reworked Nemesis mechanics for the older systems. What's to say they won't just do similar here?

Not that I'm fussed. I'm all in at this point. Halo tattoos and everything.

Interesting point with Mordor. Weren't Rise of the Tomb Raider and MGSV even closer to the next gen versions?

Given that I don't care for envelope pushing in general I'm fine with this decision. I don't even particularly like AI, I like patterns.
  • According to the IGN list I found there were 26 games at launch for PS4.
    19 of those were cross-gen.
    So straight away it seems this is pretty normal to have the early part of a gen hindered by the previous gen.

The 7 that weren't.
    Black Light Retribution 
    DC Universe Online
    Killzone
    Knack
    Playroom
    Resogun
    Warframe

Not sure what of them blew everyone away.
    Maybe Knack's particle stuff might have been difficult previously but the game didn't exactly set the world on fire.
    Haven't played Killzone. Looked pretty but wasn't it just another shooter?
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    I just had a look at the ps4 and xbone launch titles.

I can confidently say we'll be fine with this approach. Nothing to see here.

Except this isn’t launch titles this is the first two hilarious years
    The Forum Herald™
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Gonna agree with Bob. This seems ill informed at best. I totally get the common sense approach to it all and eventually it could be better overall. But no one buys a console on day one with common sense.

And you don’t buy it for a slightly better looking version of a game you can buy for your existing console.

If you want common sense MS are giving you up to two years to not buy their new console.
  • Even within 2 years I am struggling to find anything exclusively on the PS4 that tested the hardware beyond graphics.

If anyone wants to throw something out there I am all ears but at the moment I will stand by my conclusion that the first couple of years of a gen cycle is stuff that could have been done last gen but uglier or just cross platform, re-releases and pretty graphics.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Gonna agree with Bob. This seems ill informed at best. I totally get the common sense approach to it all and eventually it could be better overall. But no one buys a console on day one with common sense. And you don’t buy it for a slightly better looking version of a game you can buy for your existing console. If you want common sense MS are giving you up to two years to not buy their new console.

So by that conclusion the only reason to buy consoles early is being strong armed by games you otherwise can't play?
    Fuck that noise.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It’s not that though is it? If people choose to not buy the next Xbox that’s more sales to Sony. That’s more dev support to Sony. That embeds Sony even more and reduces competition. And no one wants that.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Depends why you want to buy a new console I guess. Why do you buy new consoles?

Did you upgrade to a Pro/X from the base models too Boris?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Upgraded to Pro

Never bought the One but bought the X as I got it very cheap (selling my 4K player it cost me about £100).
  • God this is going to get good once we get closer to launch.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!