The Next Next Gen Thread o/\o
  • This literally alway happens at every new gen. idgi? What exactly is the fuss/story? Every major multi format game releases on both old and new gen for the first 12 -24 months then, FIFA and Just Dance apart, they all segue over to new gen. It happens every fucking time.
    Microsoft were talking about 1 disc that runs on both rather than making an old gen port.

Yeah I know but that isn’t what’s being discussed above unless I’ve read it all wrong.  

I’ve probably read it all wrong. Again.
  • It could be both what m$ do first party might be a cross gen disc,
    The Forum Herald™
  • It's mainly just a sense of slight disappointment that there probably won't be so many grand new experiences afforded by the new hardware, there have been plenty of examples of those in the past, and I'm sure we'll get more than a few great new things that weren't possible before, perhaps that new Spiderman game..

I think everyone understands the business and consumer reasons for having games more widely available and playable, but it doesn't excite the enthusiast so much. Of course there have been cross-gen releases before, but it seems like things are becoming more PC like in terms of scalability and thus the distinctions between machines are getting quite grey.

And speaking of PC; yeah there's not much of an issue with stuff working across all different tiers of hardware, but that's always been a factor with PC gaming, and as I've explained before very few PC games are taking anything like full advantage of the horsepower available with the latest silicon. With an 8 core CPU (pretty much the same as what the new consoles will have) I've yet to see anything go over 50% utilisation, mostly it's 20-30%. I'm sure this bothers many PC enthusiasts a little but it does make sense when there are so many possible hardware configurations to target that the devs would try and ensure compatibility with as wide a market as they can.

But one of the big benefits with consoles has always been a fixed hardware config with a large and growing userbase, so it would be nice to see a proper focus on making the most out of it. The cost of making games now and the pressure for profits is probably why the state of the art has been deprioritised in favour of wider marketability.

It's quite true that all this is not a particularly big issue, mostly a kind of mild sigh-inducing annoyance to those of us interested in game technology and design, who are impatient to see something properly new and exciting. The way it's going the majority of games will be always a good few years behind the newest technology, the way it's been on PC for a long time.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    [...gtav is definitely not a good example of this. It was made for the consoles of the day - even the pc version was later. Zelda BOTW is a better example...
    Surely you’re exercising a fair degree of speculation here. Games are being announced that will be released on both generations... but how many have announced day and date releases for each? How many have announced that it will/won’t be the same product on each generation?

Blocks100 wrote:
    It's unprecedented...
    Not really. As a kid with a 48k Spectrum, I had to navigate screenshots and reviews of versions of a game available on significantly more powerful machines. Even latterly, games on PC cater for significantly more than three ‘iterations’. How many operating systems on how many CPUs with how many levels of graphics card are out there?
  • nick_md wrote:
    Speccy 48k vs 128k?

That's a moot point. When Sinclair engineered the 128k it felt like something new . Games had proper sound with multiple channels, no more BEEPS! You could load the entire game in one whole tape reel, no more having to load each level separately! Games got good. 'When Time Stood Still' felt like something that had simply never been possible before.

Sure, you could switch back to 48K mode to play those older games, but the future had arrived. When the PS5 arrives, it won't have a 48K mode. It'll have something worse. A PS4 sitting on the TV shelf below it, gathering dust, but still capable of playing all the same games that the unit above it can. Acting as a constant reminder that the next gen isn't what it used to be.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It looks like Microsoft has committed to cross-gen and third parties will understandably go that way too. I think Sony will ditch the PS4 for first-party development quite quickly. They don't have any announced major titles releasing after the anticipated PS5 release date do they? I think their gambit will be to do bespoke next gen stuff and leave third parties to satisfy PS4 owners.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    ...gathering dust, but still capable of playing all the same games...

a) We don’t know this for sure yet.
    b) Please stop tying yourself in knots to arbitrarily decide what does and does not suit your pessimistic outlook.
  • Why would you keep the PS4 if the PS5 could play everything the PS4 does?
    That makes no sense.

I'm not totally up where Sony are on things but with MS there will be no need to keep older Xbox One consoles when upgrading to Series X. That's surely a good thing as your old console can be traded against the new one.

This is all good news for the consumer unless you obsess over some unannounced unicorn of a game.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Unannounced Unicorn Game is the highly anticipated and incredibly ambitious sequel to Untitled Goose Game, right?
  • The counterpoint is that the most amazing games now can be on mature hardware like wii u (botw), powerful hardware (disco elysium), niche systems (play.date) and anything in between.

You might lack clear markers of visual fidelity like soul calibur or mario 64 or killzone ps4, but the quality will not be in question.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Do we know how backwards comp works with both consoles?  Is it fair to assume that a PS5 would play existing PS4 games with PS4 Pro settings available (and likewise the next Xbox with X settings?)  So, for example, sticking Control in a PS5 would give me a smoother experience than playing on a base PS4?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I just want an emotion engine back. Can’t believe we’ve been two generations and no one has noticed the lack of emotion in modern games.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Sony have not said that PS4 will pay PS5 games, have they??
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Do we know how backwards comp works with both consoles?  Is it fair to assume that a PS5 would play existing PS4 games with PS4 Pro settings available (and likewise the next Xbox with X settings?)  So, for example, sticking Control in a PS5 would give me a smoother experience than playing on a base PS4?

That's certainly the way I imagine it will be for the xbox.
  • acemuzzy wrote:

Classic.  Muzzy.
  • I don't think there is any reason for the new consoles not to be fully compatible with the current ones, there might need to be a little code juggling here and there but the silicon is similar in architecture. It's like games running on 8 year old AMD CPUs also working on the latest Ryzen chips, which is definitely a thing on PC.
  • It's both interesting and entertaining to see how console gamers struggle with the concept of minimum- and recommended spec requirement.

Welcome to the next level guys!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Digital Foundry gon be busy
  • Soon console gaming too will be all about upgrading the old toaster. Why are you playing in 720p 20fps low settings when you can go 4k120fps Ultra VR raytracing settings?

Come join the masterrace peasant!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    So, for example, sticking Control in a PS5 would give me a smoother experience than playing on a base PS4?

No, all you'll get is a 'Cannot read disc. Please insert PS5 recognizable material’ error message.

It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:

Classic.  Muzzy.

Qft
    The Forum Herald™
  • My hope is that for control specifically they’ll import the ray tracing business version for Next Gen.
  • My hope is that for control specifically they’ll import the ray tracing business version for Next Gen.
    My hope is for Alan wake 2
    The Forum Herald™
  • Having spent a good few hours with Control on my new PC I’m not sure I’d say ray-tracing is all that really. It’s a thing alright but I don’t think I’ve seen anything as omg as the promo renders for it all. There’s too much other stuff going on for it to really be a massive thing.
  • Not to say it doesn’t look nicer just don’t expect it to be that much nicer.
  • Not to say it doesn’t look nicer just don’t expect it to be that much nicer.

The next gen has a new slogan.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Not to say it doesn’t look nicer just don’t expect it to be that much nicer.
    HAHAHA
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Not to say it doesn’t look nicer just don’t expect it to be that much nicer.
    HAHAHA

Yes, but can you make friends with the monsters and talk to them? Make alliances? Now that would be interesting.

SFV - reddave360
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Classic.  Muzzy.
    Qft

I'm so confused

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!