The Last of Us 2 : Naughty Dog do their fine thing
  • Apologies. I’ve read lots in past hour or so instead of working, and take back what I said. This all does seem very shitty.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • The more I see and think of that fucking Balrog tweet I just get angry. I mean, how fucking dare you? I know that's a proper Karen phrase but fuck me.
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • Another recc in that video there for the Polygon article, which covers a lot more bases than any of these videos.
  • The alt-right wave of shite on meta critic is nasty though. That Schreier guy arguably didn't deserve the backlash from ND.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • How long is this game?

In spoilers could someone tell me how many chapters there are and how far I am. I’m just under 16 hours
    Spoiler:
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • I’m assuming that
    Spoiler:
  • Cheers, this will be at least 30+ hours then, maybe I should shoot the shit out of people and not stealth everything.

I’ve not clicked on the last spoiler.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Yeah don’t. It took me 36 hours but I did end with most collectibles and upgrades. And I stealthed most encounters which sometimes took a while.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Yeah don’t. It took me 36 hours but I did end with most collectibles and upgrades. And I stealthed most encounters which sometimes took a while.

Dunno. I’m 19 hours in and I’ve just
    Spoiler:

• regmcfly wrote:
    It's the "it's all something over nothing" that gives us Dominic Cummings going to Durham Castle, that gives us protests in numerous cities. That sort of just let it fucking go is why we are in the state we are in.

This is an awful fucking take. Do better than this.

• I just finished the game last night. I thought it was excellent from start to finish and thought the story was great also. The were some ups and downs in terms of quality at times and it did do the too many encounters thing that ND do but an Edge 9 seems fair. They are improving their design philosophy with each game which is good to see but maybe they could do with trying some a bit more new new.

I have been avoiding spoilers at all costs so have also avoided the discourse around it all. I'm gonna dip my toe in just to see what the fuss was about. I'm still unsure why people would hate it unless it's just a Last Jedi, "that's not the story I wanted to see" type thing instead of just going along with what is presented and enjoying it for what it is. Although it being quite a dark game does make it a slog at times and I could see how that could temper enjoyment for some.

Can't wait to see what ND do next. Partly because it will be next gen and what they have done here is incredible for PS4 but also because it'll probably be something completely new.
  • Tempy wrote:
    It can seem like a storm in a teacup cos on the surface it's all twitter drama, but it's also showing how devs, including those not even behind the game, and now talent involved in the game are willing strong-arm the media... which hang on... isn't that what GG was all about? Ethics in Journalism? Sarcasm aside, the Polygon article he links to is spot on: https://www.polygon.com/2020/6/30/21307200/the-last-of-us-2-controversy-critics-press-naughty-dog-vice-review-leak-sony-ps4-playstation In a nutshell: e7a.jpg

That's a good article. And probably enough of a toe dip for me just even glancing at some of the twitter links in it and even briefer glances at, *shudder*, youtube comments which all seem to be the same type of thing you'd expect. People reeeeeeally need to feel less ownership over pop culture products. You like it or you don't like it so much. That's all. Discuss a little without committing hate crime and then move on.
  • This game seems to attract dumb discussion all round. It's not like it's a significant cultural milestone or a particularly interesting story yet it seems to have wound up as the scene for multiple battles.

I have long since had my fill of ND games so I'm skipping this one. If you like that sort of thing I can see why you would like this. But outside of that I struggle to see why the series is such a flashpoint for so many.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Aye, can’t remember seeing so much utter stupidity everywhere when discussing a game. It’s like a next gen thread in purchasable product form.
  • The Polygon article Tempy mentioned is pretty good.  Not the one about muscular women though, that just seems like core targeted click journo.
  • Is that a sneaky pun in there?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • It's not surprising there's a ton of writing and varying interpretation around this. It's not successful in everything it does and plenty of its ideas have even been done better elsewhere. But there's so much there in terms of characterisation, plot and themes that it's impossible not to have something to say about it.

I felt the same with the first one as well - I didn't like a lot of what it did, but there was so much to talk about regardless. I think both games deserve credit for reaching a level of writing that demands discussion, even if your conclusions are negative. Very few games manage that.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Have you played Halo 5?
  • Hey Jon, someone said you had written a LoU review. Where can I read it?
  • Hey Jon, someone said you had written a LoU review. Where can I read it?

Here you go....

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/reviews/the-last-of-us-2/

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    It's the "it's all something over nothing" that gives us Dominic Cummings going to Durham Castle, that gives us protests in numerous cities. That sort of just let it fucking go is why we are in the state we are in.

This is an awful fucking take. Do better than this.

You are 100% correct. Would delete but will leave up as people do stupids and need to learn. I need to not post when I'm getting nervy.
  • I still don't get what you meant by that comment. I'm missing context so I cannot even parse it.
  • Treating matters as trivial when they are actually important? I think it’s (partly) at my “storm in a teacup” comment which I later apologised for. I was stupid enough to comment without having read more on the matter.
  • The reason so many people are talking about TLoU is because Sony, ND, the industry and fans have positioned it as the most important game of the year. Now they’re trying to command that conversation, rather than accept it. It’s the same reason everyone talks about Star Wars so much when they release, it’s event media.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m going to come back and read all the comments and reviews properly to understand what the conversation is about. I’m actually finding it hard to “enjoy” playing the game this time around.

I don’t know if it’s because the character models are getting more realistic, the gruesome death scenes or the fantastic direction with the dialogue, but I genuinely feel some dread anticipation when working my way through some of this stuff.

So I’m probably only about 8 hours in and preferring to play other stuff in between my short bursts on this. It’s not that it’s not great technically and some of the minor rope puzzles are great. I’ve just done one that just felt so logical because of how well they’ve done the rope physics.

Some of the scenes when you are with someone and they shout they are coming from X usually turn into Insta death the first time I play them as I don’t think those directions are particularly signposted that well. Perhaps that’s intentional game design to force panic. But then you restart and you clear the scene and it wasn’t that difficult so I think what was the point in the setup.

Anyway I’m not complaining. It’s a solid sequel and the story is keeping me engaged. I’ll see it through.
  • I've thought this was gonna end about four times now. It's still not over. I'm loving the look of this new area I'm in now...
  • I've just got this and am about 4hrs in. Loving it so far. It's very pretty, my PS4 fan isn't louder than my speakers and I'm liking the combat.

All good.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I’ve just finished it. Finally I can go in the spoilers thread.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!