myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Have you been full Guppy yet Nina? It's an automatic win with semi decent fire rate
    I think so? Does the game notify you for the first time that happens? I'm pretty sure I had the items required, but I was wearing so many cloaks and masks that I couldn't really tell. Probably die straight after anyway, which usually happens whenever I get something new I want to try out.

This game would have been better without spiders.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Guppy gives you a fly for every kill (might be for every tear landed, it's been a while) It's lethal if you can bring down enemies quicker than the fly's can get to them.
  • It's one fly per hit.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • Went for some high risk devil trading yesterday and ended up with a beast of a build, which was made even better by getting cancer before reaching mom. I ballsed up one room right near the very end though meaning I had no stone hearts to protect me in the last battle. Was a close one but I failed. Boo.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Cancer is one of my favourite items, it creates some completely ridiculous builds.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • I was annihilating everything in my path almost instantly. I also had the thing where you draw a circle on the floor and it damages whatever is inside. Just didn’t have the health to finish mom off.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Started this again. Thought to give hard mode a try. Might not do that a second time.

Went to do a challenge, solar planet or something. You're basically just a floating head with a gray, blue and red fly around you. First time I got to mom and I thought I wouldn't make it, only to see there was just a tiny bit of health left when I died. Why didn't I just put some effort in? This was after a run where I found the Bible in a shop, bombed the owner for coins and accidently hit the item randomizer machine as well. Bye Bible.

Should probably have written the seeds down and retry, it's a pretty challenging challenge.
  • Yes Nina! Isaac is the GOAT!

I love the way they themed that challenge, always elicited a small lul when I saw it in the list.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yeah it's a well thought out challenge, but also hard. I'm still sulking about that blown up Bible. That would made it a lot easier as this one goes past Mom.
    I've a list that puts this on "rather challenging but do asap" so I hope the reward is worth it.

How do you feel about hard mode? I've only got the heart symbol with 3 characters in normal, and beat it 8 times I think. Can't get there consistently on normal. Saw a post on reddit that suggested getting familiar with hard mode early on, as you need it for unlocks. It didn't go very well though, the couple times I tried I didn't get past the third floor.
  • Yeah I think I switched to hard mode quite early but that's because the hooks were in and I was dead set on trying to 100% it.

I'd say switch to it, but if you aren't enjoying it then put it back in normal mode for a while and then go back when you feel like it.

For me, the fun thing about Isaac was that in the end it didn't become a game about trying to complete every run, it just became about seeing what crazy shit would end up happening during a game. For me, Isaac is one of the very few roguelike games where there is enough depth to keep you coming back without it getting repetitive and I think a lot of that is down to the way the game handles weapon and item combos and is quite happy for you to break the game.

I think an example if something that I thought I was gonna love but write quickly fell off was Gungeon, I was so hyped for that game since it has a ludicrous number of guns that work in cool ways, but there's almost nothing in the game that changes how any of the weapons work so after a while it becomes really repetitive, I would make the same complaint about Dead Cells. Both games are really good, but for me both had a shelf life, I dumped over a thousand hours, maybe 1500 into Isaac and although I probably won't go back, none of that time felt like it was a grind or a chore.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    For me, the fun thing about Isaac was that in the end it didn't become a game about trying to complete every run, it just became about seeing what crazy shit would end up happening during a game. For me, Isaac is one of the very few roguelike games where there is enough depth to keep you coming back without it getting repetitive and I think a lot of that is down to the way the game handles weapon and item combos and is quite happy for you to break the game.
    Yeah, this is why Isaac is goat. I've only put about 65 hours in by now, but tbh, I could probably double that if you count watching Twitch, seeing what other people are doing with eden runs is so much fun (and sometimes I pick up things I didn't know yet, if the streamer is nice enough to explain some picks). Still baby hours, but I'm in no rush.

I've seen about 8 endings, will continue on hard for a bit, I know I need to improve my dodging game and hard mode seems a good fit for that. Same goes for the Solar System challenge. Have to be really careful in that one.
    Doubt I'll ever 100% it (whatever that means, I've seen the "only 2 save files to go" screenshots on reddit) but I wanna see how far I can get. I've still got 2 characters to unlock, and I kinda want to do the challenges and all endings.

I've had my eye on both Enter the Gungeon and Dead Cells, but I'm happy with Isaac for now. I'll probably get Slay the Spire on Switch again, that is a bit more suitable for taking breaks during a run and has a whole different pace to Isaac. I think it will also play better in handheld mode, playing Isaac in handheld makes it harder to see x rocks and doors.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I would highly recommend playing Hard only as some unlocks require Hard mode completion. However if you unlock on Hard mode you also unlock whatever Normal mode would've unlocked.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yeah that's the main reason for going hard, doing the normal and hard unlocks at the same time. I'll see how it goes next time, avoiding things isn't my strongest point so I need to put in serious effort now.
  • In case you didn't know, there's new DLC coming... https://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/The_Binding_of_Isaac:_Repentance
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • O
    M
    G

• Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Would anyone have any tips for that Solar System challenge? I want it done, but I really struggle, usually get 3-4 floors in.

Also, do items like the pentagram do anything with the flies? Or is that a wasted heart on the devil deal?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I had a spare ten mins so decided to play this

I still don't really know what I'm doing. I have no idea what the things are that I pick up. And I keep forgetting which button is bomb.

What's the deal with spider rooms? Mum stood on somebody? Ever sensible to go through doors with jaws? What does the cash machine in the shop do? Is each run a start from complete scratch?
  • All of your questions apart from "Is each run a start from complete scratch?" aren't super interesting to answer as they're things to learn as you play. Your runs are all fresh, but items that you unlock through runs are added to the pool, so there is a sort of progress. Everything else - experiment.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    But I died like twice
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Having gone some enjoyment from Neon Abyss, and learned some roguelike ways along the way, I thought I'd give this another go... and my god I'm so confused by everything still.

- deals with the devil stuff - I like ended up with no red hearts, and then with a collar or something that insta revived me back outside the room, as in it was impossible to die.  very strange.  is that basically for leet players / high risk vs. reward?  I'm kinda thinking I may stay clear for the moment cos I need all the hearts I can get!
     - unlocked a couple of characters, but i guess will stick with isaac for the mo
     - was trying rebirth on bone, and vanilla (well, wrath of the lamb) on pc, and yeah they look a little different etc. but mechanically is it worth upgrade?  and what about afterbirth?  Is that basically all stuff I wouldn't be hitting for a while yet anyway?
     - does _anything_ carry/unlock from one run to the next?  or only e.g. beating the whole game stuff?
     - i don't really understand any of the symbols, like what bow means etc.  bullet speed and range etc?
     - I gained and lost tears - what's that all about?
     - stuff that's the other side of a ravine I can't cross... do i need floaty powers or something?
     - mini dudes who take coins/keys off me - and donations - that's all for like special endings and stuff right?  should avoid for the time being??
  • Someone help him and I might try it again. Poo and snuff and blood and that.
  • 1. There are a few types of hearts, not just red hearts. Spirit are grey, Black are Devil (when they expire you damage everyone in the room) and there is another too. Guppy's collar gives you a 50% chance to respawn with one heart on death. Other devil items will do different things. You need to experiment!

2. Other characters are cool too, they all have a unique item too.

3. Rebirth is largely true to the original mechanically, but it fixes a lot of synergies that did not work in the original code, like laser tears working with orbit and stuff (that might not be a specific fix, but weird interactions like that tend to work as advised in Rebirth). Afterbirth is just more DLC and content on top of Rebirth, maybe an extra ending.

4. If you finish a run and it says you've unlocked something, it can then turn up in the loot pool for all subsequent runs, that's it.

5. If you pause it tells you what all the symbols mean I think? Either way, the bow is Range, the arrows are tears (the rate you fire).

6. As above - gained rate of fire, lost rate of fire

7. Yeah, there are things that let you fly/float/teleport etc

8. Beggars that take stuff off you, they don't do anything with endings. They're just vendors who give you random stuff if you donate enough.
  • Tempy answered all of the issues like a boss so I'm just gonna chip in a couple of other bits and pieces in response to Muzz. 
    acemuzzy wrote:
    deals with the devil stuff - I like ended up with no red hearts, and then with a collar or something that insta revived me back outside the room, as in it was impossible to die.  very strange.  is that basically for leet players / high risk vs. reward?  I'm kinda thinking I may stay clear for the moment cos I need all the hearts I can get!
    Not for leet players, don't ever think there are things in this game you should be leaving, the experimentation with things and discovery is half the fun in this game. 
    acemuzzy wrote:
    unlocked a couple of characters, but i guess will stick with isaac for the mo
    Issac is a strong character because he starts with the D6 but the other characters all have different characteristics that will give the early parts of the game a bit more variety - in the case of some characters the differences are big enough to change the way you approach the whole run. Again, nothing in this game shouldn't be tried if you see it. I 100% recommend giving them a look especially if you click with one of the characters or prefer them to Isaac while you're getting into things. 
    acemuzzy wrote:
    was trying rebirth on bone, and vanilla (well, wrath of the lamb) on pc, and yeah they look a little different etc. but mechanically is it worth upgrade?  and what about afterbirth?  Is that basically all stuff I wouldn't be hitting for a while yet anyway?
    In addition to Tempy's comments, Afterbirth adds Greed Mode which is a slightly different type of playing the game which is a bit like a boss rush mode. You don't need the DLC for this unless you're enjoying the game and want to see everything it has imo. 
    acemuzzy wrote:
    stuff that's the other side of a ravine I can't cross... do i need floaty powers or something?
    I'd also add here that there is no guarantee that there is anything that will help you cross the ravines in a run, so don't worry if you can't reach something. The only exception to this is if you have a rock next to a single square gap, you can place a bomb next to the rock and it will fill in the adjacent hole. Also look out for rocks that are a slightly different shade to other rocks around them, and look out for any rocks that have a little X mark on them or are glinting occasionally, they're pretty rare, but if you spot one and have a bomb, it's worth blowing them up as they contain hearts/keys/bombs and occasionally chests.
  • https://platinumgod.co.uk/

This is a great place to start with looking at what different items are as you come across them.

This game is dangerously addictive, I’ve got it on bone, PS4, switch, pc and iOs so I can always have a bash when I’m free and not playing slay the spire
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Lol i have it on bone, steam and ps4, and I'm not even sure if I like it or not.  Gonna try to give it some more love than previously though.  Wish it would tell you what the powerups you have do more clearly though - but i guess I'll gradually recognise some.

Thanks all for the answers!  
    If you finish a run and it says you've unlocked something, it can then turn up in the loot pool for all subsequent runs, that's it.
    Not sure I've had this yet then :-/.  Or maybe I have for like character stuff, but that's kinda different to loot.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    PS4 and Bone are both Rebirth.  Does that handle controllers better?  Wondering whether to try a PC upgrade if it looks nicer / has a bit more / makes things consistent between my platforms / means not monkeying around with key mapping.

The bullets going at an angle as your strafe is kinda confusing me too.  I guess I'll get used to it.  Using stick not face buttons on Bones seems to sometimes confuse it though - but you can hold to keep firing, rather than needing to keep tapping, so hmm.
  • What do you mean by loot? Keys, coins, cards, pills, batteries? They are run only. Any pickups that you earn - the game will literally say “You’ve unlocked... Cain’s Eye” (as an example) will mean that Cain’s Eye is shuffled into the pool of pick-ups that can appear. But it’s still random, not guarantees, because it’s a roguelike.

If you want to know what pickup does, use the platinum god site. There are far too many items to memorise all of them unless you’re dedicating hours to it every day, so knowing which syringe you’re about to grab or ignore because it will either make you really strong or kneecap you because of how your stats currently are is something always worth checking if you can’t remember.
  • I recommend using the face buttons rather than stick for shooting so you don't accidentally get the wrong direction on your shots in a critical moment. I don't think you have to keep tapping the button though to keep shooting, although I haven't played for a while, so maybe I forgot or there's an option somewhere to let you hold down the button and keep firing.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Took me a while to even find the "use item" button which didn't help confusion and explains why I wasn't able to pick sine things up. I was more meaning passive things, like a got a leaf and had no idea what it was changing about me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!