Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I don't get the love for five guys. Above average at best.
  • I don't get the love for five guys. Above average at best.

Depends what you're looking for, I find their ratio of fat, salt, cheese, meat, bun, topping, etc is pretty spot on for a basic double stack, but I'll readily admit that it's all subjective.
  • They're better when you keep it simple imo. No cheese, pickle, ketchup and mustrard for me. And the hotdogs - fresh jals and bbq sauce, if only to differentiate it from the burger because I always buy both.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • My main gripe taste wise was the salt.
    If I bother again I will skip the bacon and go for standard fries. I will also order the smallest fries because dumping an extra portion in the bag and charging £4.50 is a piss take.

It's too expensive as well. If I'm paying nearly £15 for a burger and fries outside of London you can damn well bring it to my table.
  • It is expensive because yes the extras are silly money. Burger and hotdog, no fries or drinks is about £12 iirc. I tend to pile in around closing time when the booze is kicking in and they in turn tend to give you fries for free most of the time. They just appear in the bag and they're all loose - no cup at all.
  • Sliders. Fried in mayo.

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Part of me oped they'd give you tiny tapaz fires
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • You can do this with a skillet and a mandolin instead. Is win. 

• My mandolin went in the bin last week. Never again. Never. Again.
    I'm too much of an idiot for such a dangerous bit of kit.
  • I had some burgers last night.
  • Is that burger even a burger?
  • It's not a salad.
  • It’s also not a Nintendo 64.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    My mandolin went in the bin last week. Never again. Never. Again. I'm too much of an idiot for such a dangerous bit of kit.

Nooooo! Such a lovely bit of kit. They arent dangerous, just use the guard and stop trying to copy people who use these things all the time.
    SFV - reddave360
  • While I am here....

Market research purposes, how do people feel about their chicken burgers here? 

Grilled with no coating but a good marinade?

Cripsy batter / coating?

Breast or leg meat? 

Genuinely curious because I'm working on a Chicken Burger menu and we've had a hell of a lot of variations and it seems hard to pin down a consensus
    SFV - reddave360
  • First question is whether you actually mince the chicken meat and make a burger patty from it, or whether you just use a chicken breast.

Chicken breast seems to be the way most places go. One of my locals does a good one marinaded in buttermilk and given a sort of Cajun-ish rub before grilling.

I don’t see many actual minced chicken burgers on offer around here. I imagine you could do something quite interesting with a sort of ‘pulled chicken’ sandwich that combined shredded breast and dark meat …
  • Ref mandolin. The guard that came with mine was crap, I could maybe get through half a typical red onion then it wouldn't grip.

Ref chicken burgers.
    They tend to be breast meat but I think that is missing a trick because it isnt fatty enough. I think something interesting could be done with thigh and then crisping up the skin nicely as a sort of bacon replacement.
  • Thigh meat, crispy coating and deep fried.
  • The best bit of chicken is quorn.
  • Side of crispy chicken feet would go well. I'm not even joking.
  • Mandolin chat

I’ve started using my good old speed peeler to quickly slice potatoes super-thinly for gratin and dauphinoise. Admittedly it limits the width of potato I can slice, but it gets mandolin-like results. And it’s a lot faster than I can do it with a knife.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Side of crispy chicken feet would go well. I'm not even joking.

Thats a very interesting idea. I'll certainly do a sample up of it.  

I really do appreciate the feedback guys - everyone seems to like a chicken burger but my goodness there is a ton of variety out there. We are primarily looking at a Buttermilk marinade using free-range chicken breast (I'm more into thigh meat myself but its early days for a brand so needs to be the most appealing to start) and with an option to be dredged in gluten free flour and spices, maybe with some other bits and bobs for a crispy, crunchy coating or with the dredging for a nice griddle, more fresh vibe.

LivDiv wrote:
    Ref mandolin. The guard that came with mine was crap, I could maybe get through half a typical red onion then it wouldn't grip. Ref chicken burgers. They tend to be breast meat but I think that is missing a trick because it isnt fatty enough. I think something interesting could be done with thigh and then crisping up the skin nicely as a sort of bacon replacement.

Yeah, some of the guards aren't great but it doesnt take long to become good with just using your hand, you just need to be very careful at the start (just about every chef I know has a Mandolin mishap story) and do it often. I'm pretty good, but one guy who worked for me was a ninja - super speedy and clean even with very small items like radish. Just with the onions as well - big onions are a bit of a mare. You want something you can gripe easy or even better my technique was using the palm of my hand. Although fuck up with that and its a nasty cut.

@PopRock - yeah thats a really good way to do it, great for carrots, potatoes etc. You dont get quite the yield I find but its certainly an alternative that I've used often.
    SFV - reddave360
  • n0face wrote:
    Thigh meat, crispy coating and deep fried.

This.
  • I fancy knocking up an experimental chicken burger myself now. Might give it a bash next week.

I’m thinking maybe roasting a chicken and specifically saving some of the breast and thigh meat to shred and form into burgers. Not sure what to bind it with, but definitely an egg and flour coating. Maybe with thyme etc rather than trying to go the usual Southern fried route. Maybe even a thin chicken risotto cake in there as a second layer.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Re: chicken burgers - I've always felt that if you're not mincing the chicken then it's not really a chicken burger any more than using a piece of steak is a beef burger. You've got tenders, goujons etc and they're great but they're not burgers. Personally I prefer the burger with some kind of batter coating but that's just because I find chicken to be fairly flavourless in general and needs some kind of jazzing up. Given the choice of a decent beef burger or a decent chicken burger I'd always go beef. It'd need to be something fairly special to sway me.
  • Don't marinade in buttermilk, it excludes people with CMPA.  Or at least offer a non-marinaded option.

I'll second the cajun chicken burger suggestion.  One of the pubs here does a marinaded chicken breast with a spiced mayonnaise burger.  It's great.
  • Scenario: You give up burgers and meat forever, and it's guaranteed to stop climate change.

Be honest, do you do it?

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Thanks Crayon.  All the more for the rest of us now.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!