Anime and Manga
  • I only just realised the channel 4 app has a load of great anime series on it.

Only noticed because I’ve started to get into gunpla kits and wanted to watch gundam origins somewhere, turns out it’s all on channel 4 along with gurren lagaan, kill la kill etc.

Also with the gundam model kits... I mean why have I not done this before? I was given some vouchers to forbidden planet and wanted a puzzle or Lego or something to unwind in the evenings, and stumbled on a kit that was in stock.

They’re not huge amounts of money (depends on size/grade etc, but the I’ve bought a couple for £13 each) they take a good few evenings to build, and you can start to detail as much as you like. Also no glue needed and no need to paint if you don’t want to.

Do recommend some good tools for cutting/sanding off the sprue, but that’s about it.

Anyway, gundam origin is also really good.
  • Real Grade kits are where it's at, although the RG Eva are like gold dust, I managed to get my Unit 01.
  • Even I have snapped together a couple of those Gundams while I was J-side, quite cheap and quite fun.
  • Nice! Yeah they were definitely on the list, I have unit 01 and 00 ordered, but still awaiting stock of the beyond global RX-78 before they ship.

I have mostly real grades on order (the usual best selling ones) but got a couple of cheap high grades first to practise a bit. Done the HG destiny seed, and got a HG astaroth origin deliver today.

Do you paint them at all, or just panel line etc? I’ve seen your miniatures so imagine if you do they look WAY better than mine will...
  • Brooks wrote:
    Even I have snapped together a couple of those Gundams while I was J-side, quite cheap and quite fun.

One I got today cost £9 And £2 to ship from the states, just from amazon. The prices have started to spike a bit, imagine people like me looking for stuff to do indoors have all gotten interested.
  • Haha, can't be bothered to paint mine. Would need an airbrush to do it justice I think.

I am also getting the Global RX-78, might try and paint that however.
  • In actual Manga talk - 950 chapters deep into One Piece. I regret every hour I spent watching and discussing Star Wars/Marvel shite when One Piece was around. Light years ahead. Baffling how dense the story is woven when it manages to be so breezy. Luffy vs Katakuri was immense, how Oda manages to breathe so much life into even bit characters is wild.
  • So many have recommended onepiece to me, but the sheer volume of stuff to watch or read always puts me off... usually the same with tv shows etc.
  • It's been going on for 20 years so yeah, it's big. But reading 900 chapters of Manga isn;t the same as reading 900 chapters of a book. You put a few away each night, suddenly you're up to date. My partner started 6 weeks ago, she's nearly caught up. Which sounds mad, but that's only 20 chapters a day, or 2 tankobons. 

I hope you haven't looked up how much Canon Gundam there is...
  • That’s very true, you can get through loads in one evening. Hmmmm...

Haha yeah I‘be only ever seen a couple episodes of gundam wing and gundam seed growing up. Decided early on I’ll do most of the ova stuff first. Origin is a great start, 6x 1 hour episodes, I can do one of those a day. Then 08th MS team and 0080 I think.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Real Grade kits are where it's at, although the RG Eva are like gold dust, I managed to get my Unit 01.
    Unit 00 is coming this month hopefully, 02 around September. My usual website isn't doing pre orders, so I'm spending most of my days refreshing it. 01 was such a good build. Best thing about RG's is there's no need to paint, panel line and waterslide decals do lot already.

Currently building HG Novell, pretty fun but I miss the brilliance of under gates.
  • The Nobell looks really good, especially the berserker mode one. Am really looking forward to 01 and 00 arriving, need to keep an eye on 02 and 08, make sure I get in early. I need way more shelves.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Just stick to the 1/144 kits, you can fit more that way!
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I've had an email from Kodansha Comics saying they've restocked the Akira boxset - not sure how that filters through to UK but thought I'd give an FYI anyway.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Thanks! I was only looking at my Amazon UK wish list yesterday! I’ll keep an eye out in case they get some copies.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It’s so really very good. I want to read it again soon. Also looks amazing out of the box.

Was lucky to get it through an amazon Germany ‘warehouse deal’, so about £80. One of the dust jackets is a bit wavy and the box was ripped, so I contacted the company and they sent a free spare box which was nice.

Edit: look at theeemmmmm so nice.

15-FD2-CC8-4-C78-4-EE5-BA41-9-BF1-D6-C854-EF.jpg
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Got myself plugged into Carole & Tuesday basically just after watching these clips.

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Enjoying the Dorohedoro anime even though they'd had to cut out fairly big chunks to speed it along.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Japan Sinks 2020 on Netflix has been good so far. It's the latest thing by the Ping Pong and Devilman Crybaby guy.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Enjoying the Dorohedoro anime even though they'd had to cut out fairly big chunks to speed it along.
    The manga has more story to it? I think my library has them, will have to see if I can grab them before the state closes it down again. I enjoyed the anime a lot.
  • The comicbook is probably one of the most competent pulp fantasy romps ever drawn, and certainly of the last couple decades. Can't recc it enough. Drills a sweetspot of whimsy, ultraviolence and intrigue firmly into the earth.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Ok, put a hold for the first 10 volumes at my library. Annoyingly 09 is checked out, hopefully they can get that from a different branch. I hope they'll get Dai Dark as well.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Does anyone have volume 09 of Dorohedoro digital that they could send my way? I can't get it through the library, and I tried buying it from a couple places but they keep getting cancelled because stock errors.
  • How many sides does a dorohedoro have though?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    The Youtube vid below can only be seen as an elementary article because, it only touches on the legacy of the highly offensive stuff from the US in the 1930s. But then Anime/Manga does occupy an unusual position in the modern cultural landscape, so it probably should be examined as a separate subject away from the wider category of popular animation in general.

I can't remember anything I've watched personally, where I've thought "WTF?". I've actually seen much worse in games.

For a start, I've never actually watched Dragon Ball Z, so I've not even seen the Gollywog character, though that's clearly fucked. Same with One Punch man, though I'd been meaning to get round to that for years.

In fact, the only black Anime character that truly sticks out in my mind, was April, from Darker Than Black, who at first glance, was as cool as fuck. But on revisiting the concept now, a black character with white hair, and a predilection for Guinness, is clearly a double entendre of a highly questionable kind.

There's probably much more to unpack in a real study of the subject. 

"I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I watched that video yesterday, I found it a really good overview of racism within anime. There’s a definite trope found with black characters in Japanese entertainment, like Barrett in FF7 or Dutch in Black Lagoon. But the outright minstrel show stuff is still prevalent (like in one punch man, which is actually an Asian guy with...make up on? Yikes).

I definitely have bought some Manga and seen some awful depictions. Although it’s usually stated in the book that these are racist depictions, it does undermine my enjoyment quite significantly for obvious reasons. Osamu Tezuka’s Metropolis springs to mind, but I guess that’s also an ‘of the time’ issue... as gross as that sounds.

More a problem is the defence of it by most of the fan base, which the video highlights, but I do think still is a little understated. It’s outright mental how much fans stand by it, see also: 1000 year old mages in skimpy outfits who also look like a 12yo...
  • The one punch man one is weird as canonically he's not black, he is a regular Japanese man and his skin colour comes from the body builder fake tan and oil.

I've got a feeling this is bollocks and was come up with after the character to try and say "ah ha but its not racist you see as he's not even black"

EDIT: derp cosmicjellybean basically already said this.
  • Haikyū!! is back and it continues to be a really wonderful show. It's just really feel good stuff.

There's is a black character on the current opposing team who while maybe not egregious does seem to fall into the racist stereotypes a little bit which is really unfortunate.
  • Aw man that should mean that the pretty sucky crunchyroll Playstation app will be way better soon. Hopefully better volume eq for the ads...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!