Coffee and Tea
  • I bought Charlie's Mum a Lavazza coffe machine for £1 (normally £200), the kicker being you have to subscribe to the pods for 2 years. That gets you about 2 pods a day @28p per pod.

But, it turns out the pod subscription is actually good value. Yes yuo can get them slightly cheaper on Amazon if you bulk buy but you have to buy about 500 pods, and it's only slightly cheaper. It makes a genuinely great coffee too and the milk frother is genius.

Highly recommended. It's the Desea model.

https://www.lavazza.co.uk/en/lavazza-my-way/machine-and-capsules-subscription.html?pId=18000286&qty=1

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/product-reviews/electricals/g26807745/10-best-pod-coffee-machines/

Behold its beauty.

"Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • The only downer being the eco cap decompostable pod thing turns out to be bullshit. The nearest drop off place to me is 10km outside of Glasgow and they do something weird to them to get them to decompose.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Industrial composting. You can't do it in your gardwn bin.
  • You need a Volcano.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Treated myself to a drip coffee machine after Christmas. It arrived yesterday and is sexy.

It's the Wilfa classic+.

5Z3apOr.jpg
  • Oooft. Nice piece of kit.
  • Ooooh aye, looks a belter. Fuck a pod but that's nice for his mumma, SG fair play.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have been supping this one over the Festive season. Splendid. I'm a 20min walk from the tea merchant, SD Bell.

xmas-coffee-1.jpg
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Going to finish off my stock of caffeinated coffee before switching over to decaffeinated hopefully permanently mainly for health reasons.

The dulce gusto machine we got as a test, isnt that good. The pods are very wasteful and not great for the environment. The powdered milk isnt the same as fresh milk (dont have my coffee black).

If i really struggle with decaffeinated coffee and decide ro give in to my brain's demands for caffeine then i think id like to get a proper machine which can take coffee beans and crush them to make a fresh coffee. That would be nice. Though id probably end up drinking more of it. Hence go down the decaff route first.

General question, how many cups of coffee do you guys drink daily? I make coffee in a cafetiere which gets gets me 4-5 cups of coffee into my mug. 2 in the morning with breakfast and the rest goes into coffee travel mug which keeps it hot. That gets polished off by lunchtime normally. Thats it then for me for the day. No more coffee. So thats 4-5 cups worth by or just after lunchtime. I think that isnt good for me longterm.
  • I make a 4-"cup" aeropress latte in a huge 800ml travel mug before work (roughly 300ml coffee & 500ml heated milk). Make another one on my break. Then when I get home I usually make a 3-"cup" latte (w/300ml milk) in a smaller travel mug to sip away on as I do my usual post-shift unwind with a joint before tea.

I'm probably not the right person to ask.
  • I have one a day, if that.

I used to drink waaay too much coffee at my old job.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Going to finish off my stock of caffeinated coffee before switching over to decaffeinated hopefully permanently mainly for health reasons.

What health issues do you have with caffeine? Are you caffeine intolerant? Or do you have heart issues or something? I can’t think of how else caffeine may be bad.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I'm 3-4 a day, all before 3pm generally.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Going to finish off my stock of caffeinated coffee before switching over to decaffeinated hopefully permanently mainly for health reasons.

What health issues do you have with caffeine? Are you caffeine intolerant? Or do you have heart issues or something? I can’t think of how else caffeine may be bad.

You know that feeling that something is off internally. Thats how caffinated coffee is making me feel. Inner voice is saying enough. Decaff from now on.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    The caffeine jitters aren't great. I tend to limit myself to one coffee a day now in the morning. It seems to help.

It might be worth weaning yourself off though Dino. A hard switch will see you a bit lethargic for a few days, might even get a mild headache. I don't know how much you drink but you might want to swap out your last cup of the day for decaf, and then slowly increase from there until totally decaf.
  • I have about 5 cups before midday, I should switch to decaff too tbh as I drink it for the flavour mainly. I switch to red or green tea in the afternoon.
  • I’m not that great with a lot of caffeine either. I have one in the morning and one in the afternoon after lunch. I have coffee bags and recently got a different brand and it’s strong. It’s probably because of that that I’ve been having crap sleep lately so either I need to go back to previous brand or have the decaff.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Facewon wrote:
    I'm 3-4 a day, all before 3pm generally.

Yeah me too. Then booze after 5pm. It's all coffee and booze tbh. Need to start drinking more water.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've finished off my whisky last night, half a bottle of Baileys left and then that's it for a couple of months for me as far as booze is concerned. I'll stick to two cups of coffee a day I think, but I definitely need to drink more water.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My usual is an espresso from the Nespresso machine at breakfast.

I may have one or two cups of instant during work.

I may have a mug of ground coffee from the cafetiere in the evening.

I rarely combine those 3 though.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • After accidentally receiving some coffee beans rather than pre ground coffee I ordered myself a fancy manual grinder.

It arrived today and its lovely. Its got a weight and a heft to it despite being fairly small that feels really nice. Need to spend some time dialing in the grind for it though as I'm not sure how successful my first one was as it seemed a touch watery.

Will need to order some pre ground and beans for the same coffee so I can use that as a guide to get the correct courseness down.

I got the Timemore Chestnut.

26FzR7O.jpg

I think I might be in it now as after using it I was immediately looking for the next thing to get. I'm thinking a fancy set of scales as I can't be using the cheap kitchen ones to measure my coffee. Far too inaccurate.
  • That looks a really nice device.

I've managed to go to decaff only with a caveat. I have one caffeinated coffee after lunch. Had a head feeling like a hangover when trying to give up the caffeinated coffee for the first few days. Its got better. I feel better as well.

Plan was never to totally give up caffine but reduce intake of caffeine down to a single cup. What i did realise after i started this that i was taking on more caffeine than i thought. My mega green tea tablets have caffeine in them. (I normally take one of those with a a-z vitamin tablet, CLA tablet and a tumeric power tablet).

Anyway back to my main point its working at the moment. Though when i have to start travelling back into work down the line that will be the acid test.
  • Oh yeah a month or so ago some idiot delivery driver left the stock for the Costa at the front entrance of work in a spot where it absolutely should not have been, and crucially, was not covered by CCTV.

10kg beans up the road lol.

So yeah, been drinking a LOT of Costa coffee. Its nice thru the 'press.
  • Amazing scenes Gav. Well in.

Me and a mate once did that with Dominos. We’d been in the pub, and on the way home walked past a Dominos delivery truck with it’s doors wide open … so we grabbed a couple of delivery trays full of food and legged it. Made it up the road with two trays of pizza dough, one of 5-litre tubs of marinara sauce, and one of pre-grated mozzarella. Pizzas for days.
  • Shocked by the immorality of these two posts. Shocked
    :)
  • We actually felt a bit guilty once sober, despite it being very funny. For penance we bought a massive pizza from that Dominos the next day and gave it to a homeless guy a couple of doors along.
  • In my view, we had endless amounts of shite given away to us in wave one under the guise of "Helping Our Heroes", it's now wave 3, we're getting absolutely fuck all, so this is a Hero Helping Himself innit.

Fuck it lol
  • I’m disappointed it wasn’t Starbucks you stole from.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • In my view, we had endless amounts of shite given away to us in wave one under the guise of "Helping Our Heroes", it's now wave 3, we're getting absolutely fuck all, so this is a Hero Helping Himself innit. Fuck it lol
    Brilliant :D
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!