Music Subscription services and their various merits
  • I've basically been using Spotify's playlists as a gathering together of similar music. Haven't really been concerned with containing single albums so far as my listening is moving quite fast and taking in a whole lot of people. At the moment I'm listening to a lot of country/bluegrass/traditional stuff from the Americas, Britain and Ireland. It has all gone in a big playlist together. For securing albums to remember later, I just have a listen to later folder so I don't get totally lost in the lovely rabbit hole of related artists.
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Using spotify here, although Rdio looks nice from the screens up there. My music listening is done slightly different then most here I guess, no mobile listening at all these days.

Having a little pc with Linux and XBMC connected to the t.v., which is connected to the amp and the proper speakers. All our music is on the hard drives connected to the pc, but I was annoyed I couldn't listen to things like playlists made by people on here for example. So I went on the search for a Linux version of spotify, but that's forever in beta. Luckily some kind internet person made a spotify add on for XBMC, only downside was that it required premium. Signed up, and now mainly use it for listening to playlists by others (currently listening to Studio Brussel's One Hit Wonders list, forgotten most of those tracks. Is there a way I can see the release date of a song in a playlists? All it shows now is track-artist-time-album-added-user) and to some albums that I only kinda like, or need some time to decide if it's ever worth a purchase. Also an easy way to look up artists if you want to know their stuff better before a gig, so that you then know which album to buy after their gig.
    Not seen the need for importing my existing library just yet.
  • I've basically been using Spotify's playlists as a gathering together of similar music. Haven't really been concerned with containing single albums so far as my listening is moving quite fast and taking in a whole lot of people. At the moment I'm listening to a lot of country/bluegrass/traditional stuff from the Americas, Britain and Ireland. It has all gone in a big playlist together. For securing albums to remember later, I just have a listen to later folder so I don't get totally lost in the lovely rabbit hole of related artists.
    Yeah, I can see how this is basically how it wants to be used, and that makes total sense. I've especially noticed how nice Pandora has been for mixing similar artists etc, which probably uses the same mechanisms as playlists and "radio" on Spotify, and probably Rdio too, although I've never actually pressed the radio button on rdio, even though it's there.

prior to trying pandora, I wasn't even that keen on random tunes, but it does a very good job of matching. Still, at the end of the day, I very much think in terms of albums, and when I find a new artist, I want to listen to an album. Pandora has thrown up some newies for me, as has the usual peer stuff through here or FB or speaking to mates, but the majority of my experimentation has actually come from judging books by their covers and semi-randomly playing stuff of that rdio screen. I'll check new releases, I'll check heavy rotation and I'll check recent activity and go from there.

Oli mentioned on the page before that Spotty isn't really a library management service, or words to that effect, but I just don't see why it can't be as well.

Surely aiming to be the one stop shop is good business for these guys? Of course, it's entirely possible I'm just not doing it right and that for most people it's a fine system.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • ill add to the loving spotify brigade and i think i use it completely differently to you face, i hardly even make playlists just zoom around doing a search on anything i fancy, then clicking similar artists or going on the radio to see if theres anything new to find.. never even considered it to be some kind of library for your own music

its absolutely great in this respect (imo) on the move
  • heh. Funny what you don't even think about. Because I had an old sony ericsson 3 phones ago, and I didn't like the way it worked as a music player, and because vista didn't play nice with my HTC, I have basically ignored the inbuilt music player on my s3.

Now that I've changed the settings on WMP to MP3 when ripping, it's as simple as drag and drop. Durr. Would be nice to have everything under the one music service/player, but at the end of the day, I can probably live with rdio + DLing other stuff/buying the odd cd.

We'll see, still playing away with Spotify.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    And why is it a good thing for them to block/stagger releases in this day and age? That's what I don't get. assuming that there's some % of money changing hands, surely it's better to have something available everywhere? Surely it doesn't cost them any more, if a song/album is sitting on one of these services and viewable to allow a person to access it. I don't understand the motivation. There may have been reasons in the past, with physical media that meant it was better business to stagger things, but this is instant, if the m oney changes hands due to people playing/adding to their collection, then why not just let more people access it? I'm clearly missing something.

It's down to licensing. Smaller labels may not have the money the release a record globally, so they license the rights to different labels in different countries. Each label has got to sign its own deal with Spotify, hence different availabilities in different countries.
  • hmmm, how much does licencing cost? Still seems odd, I can believe it with some artists, but still doesn't make sense with some artists having older albums available everywhere, but when a new one comes out, it's not released. Or OSTs. That RZA movie, Iron Fists or whatever, OST not available here. Pac Div, first album available here through Rdio, but not their new one.

I also notice the other funny one is all these sub services are at the mercy of bigger older artists withholding their most popular titles.

Fleetwood Mac - you can get all their albums bar Rumours.

Jay Z any of his albums bar The Black Album.

I figure that is down to labels still, in some cases, being better off with traditional record sales than subs. Rumours must be one of those albums that just sells steadily.

Still, it's annoying, and whatever the forces in play, I wish there was some sort of breakthrough.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Out of interest I checked Xbox Music. There's 41 Fleetwood Mac albums, including Rumours. I'm fairly sure Fleetwood Mac haven't had 41 albums.

34 Jay Z albums, inc three versions of The Black Album (acapella? Seriously?)
  • Interesting. As far as massive number of albums, some of the services seem to like to count a. singles as albums and b. allow for 25 Greatest hit variations, I'm sure not all sanctioned by artist/major label. I assume for artists like Miles Davis and Ella Fitzgerald and old/dead artists, there's virtually no copyright issues. Seems like anyone at all can "release" a miles davis album, and it must just be worth it for the revenue from a few random clicks.

FYI: acapella is relatively common for hip hop albums. likewise for 12inch singles back in the day. Everything would come with acapellas and instramentals and DJs could then obviously mix and match. IIRC, Jay made a thing of releasing the acapella of The Black Album for free hoping that dudes would go crazy with remixes etc. It, at the least, spawned the Grey album, which is The balck Album acapellas over cut up The White album. Some fun versions on that, although I don't know that it holds up for all 14 odd tracks.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Yeah, Xbox Music seems to take the album listings to the extreme.

There's one there called "3CD slip case" which is actually just the first three albums. And one called "Black Magic (PDF booklet)" with no way to actually download the PDF. Anyone would think they just loaded a record store catalogue without any thought to removing oddities.
  • Spotty does the same, it's especailly noticeable with older artists. Was looking through Billy Joel back catalogue and there's lots of slipcase/X2 albums etc etc.

• Facewon wrote:
    heh. Funny what you don't even think about. Because I had an old sony ericsson 3 phones ago, and I didn't like the way it worked as a music player, and because vista didn't play nice with my HTC, I have basically ignored the inbuilt music player on my s3. Now that I've changed the settings on WMP to MP3 when ripping, it's as simple as drag and drop. Durr. Would be nice to have everything under the one music service/player, but at the end of the day, I can probably live with rdio + DLing other stuff/buying the odd cd. We'll see, still playing away with Spotify.

Not the solution your looking for face, but Spotify has a 4x1 tile widget available and the s3 music player does too. I have both on the same screen of my S3 along with a radio widget, media player icon, YouTube,etc. one stop page on the phone for all my media files.
  • Heh- I have basically the same page, but with a 4x1 Deezer widget instead of Spotify.
  • Yep, the solution I already have.

First page on my s3 has all 4X1 widgets. Flipboard, rdio, Pandora, Pocketcast, then my alarm and a 1x1 bluetooth toggle widget.

While I'm trying things out, I have 4x1 music player and spotify on a second page.

• Facewon how are you liking rdio so far?

I've been using Spotify for a while but friends seem to be migrating to rdio.  You paying for the basic service or the version including the mobile integration?
  • Heh. @Crispy Only just coming back to this thread, good timing.

Was just coming in to say that I'm pretty sure I'm gonna stay with it. It has stylies I don't like, and the collection has more holes than spotify, but overall, having now given a reasonable go of most of the alternatives, it's still my favorite.

Much easier to manage your collection and have it sorted automatically without faffing about with playlists. But very easy to make playlists if you want to.

Between the four main options to view the music, Heavy Rotation, Recent Activity, Top Charts and New Releases, it's very easy to catch new stuff (and it automatically alerts you if artists you've already added release new stuff. This is good for new bands, not so good for Miles Davis et al, as they get spammed)

If you have even 2-3 people on your rdio friends list, and a couple of the "taste maker" selections, you really won't miss out on much.

I just found 8 new albums to add to the collection from random listening, looking at albums, and who was adding them. A real mixed bag.

Very easy to manage what's synced and what's not, the phone app is awesome (on both iphone and andriod. We have both and it works fine. (And if they're all in offline mode, you can have them on multiple devices.) And  if you have an old smartphone like I do, you can just leave rdio on it, and use it as a stereo for the lounge or wherever, and use your current smartphone as a remote.

There's a 14 day trial, and then it's Aus$13 a month.

Things that will annoy, but I am living with:

There is a pause between tracks, even synced.

There's a lot of spam/BS cluttering the New Releases. Can seem like the collection isn't good. Wish someone would do some active curating.

There are some holes as far as particular artists and discographies go, as noted with all of these services.

Everything else is absolutely lovely. It really feels like you have a collection. It's really easy to manage and it's really nice hunting for new stuff.
  • Oh, one other gripe:

DON'T integrate your itunes with rdio. It's NOT a way of just importing your itunes. It looks at your itunes and tries it's best to match things from rdio's collection with it. You will end up with double ups and stuff you can't play and shite. It took me ages to clean up my collection again when I did it.
  • Decided tonight not to buy any more stuff on Amazon MP3 because, you know, they're bastard tax dodgers.

Thought I'd use Spotify to buy some tunes.  I do like Spotify. I love the interface, and even on my crappy connection, I never have problems streaming stuff (didn't realise until now it's a P2P system too!)

But when I try to buy tracks I get this dumb ass message:

We’re currently not offering new download purchases on Spotify

So let me get this straight.  I want to be a paying customer, but you don't want my money?

Ok.  Back to Amazon it is.

I mean really?  Sheesh.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    There's loads of places to buy DRM free MP3s.

Zune/Xbox Music, 7Digital..... iTunes

Well, OK, that's three I can think of but there probably are loads.
  • I guess that means they're putting their eggs in the sub basket.

Meanwhile, actually used the remote option with rdio last night. I had half forgotten about it until I posted about it above, and generally am only using one device, but for long dominion sessions, I can now just set my htc going and use my s3 to select tracks and albums etc. Works perfectly.

• Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Nokia getting into the music subscription business, for a lot less than the others.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/27/nokia-unveils-music-plus-subscription-service/
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Looks like it, on the handset side at least. It says there'll be a web app for streaming.
  • As a Lumia 920 owner, this interests me.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Unsurprising it's just for Lumia, but obviously that's no good for me. Ah well.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Pretty short-sighted business model.
  • Facewon thanks for the insight.  I've decided to go with Rdio and wouldn't you know it, they have a 6 month free special going on RIGHT NOW:  http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/01/go-get-6-months-of-totally-free-streaming-music/

GO GO GO GO!
  • You can't use the mobile apps or stream offline.

• WorKid wrote:
    You can't use the mobile apps or stream offline.

No but you can still get unlimited, ad-free music in a web browser for the price of nothing for six whole months.  Not a bad deal in my book.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    You can't use the mobile apps or stream offline.

confused-dog.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!