Discless consoles not far off
  • The word 'disc' looks weird.
  • I call them 'diskettes'.
  • Is it unlimited though G.Man, IS IT!?! Seriously it's prob only 1gb. While we are on the subject, does anyone else get a free 1gb of BTopenzone a month, and has anyone worked out how the hell it works?
    No, I have completely unlimited data. I'm still on the original iPhone O2 data plan from when the iPhone originally launched.

ScreenShot2012-05-28at230346.png
    ScreenShot2012-05-28at230356.png

:D

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • "Diskettesless consoles not far off," I'd say.

"Remember to switch the little tab to the open position in order to write protect your three and a half inch diskette." That kind of thing.

"Why, this three and a half inch floppy diskette isn't floppy at all! What a misnomer!"
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Unlimited Wi-Fi?

How generous of them!
  • Yeah, I don't understand the current metered wi-fi proposition that mobile companies seem to be pimpin. How the fuck does that work. Surely if you're using your phone over wi-fi it's nobodies fecking business but your own.

regards

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    O2 operate a WiFi hotspot system, like The Cloud, Not that you were ever likely to find one.
  • A fair few of the places I've been seem to give me the option to sign in via about 4 different things, one of which is O2. Vodafone have a similar kind of thing, which I have never yet encountered,
  • I haven't noticed my voda bill caring about wifi. My phone automatically uses my home wifi when I'm there, and that's where I do stuff that's data heavy. I've used the odd wifi hotspot too, none of it seems to eat into my bill or data usage for the phone.

(Rdio is well designed in that sense, it has an online and offline mode, and a couple of other options as well which basically amount to DON'T do shit to eat into data unless you're on wifi.)
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I've just checked what it actually is, and apparently it's BT Openzone:
    Your Plan comes with 300 minutes, 3000 texts, 500MB mobile internet, 750MB BT Openzone Wi-Fi and BlackBerry email
    Although when I go to check what I've got left, it claims I have unlimited texts. I might try sending 3001 in a month. 500mb mobile internet wil be smashed through if I try using it regularly for video. I've used 164mb with only one trip to YouTube.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I think that 3000 is the number of texts with my Orange unlimited texts as well, I get free BT Openzone Wi-Fi as part of my home BT Broadband but I've yet to actually find anywhere that's got it, Devon's a bit behind with things like this!
  • EA don't like Steam sales:

Digital sales platform Steam has a reputation for its 75 per cent sales - and many gamers love them. But for rival Origin and its maker EA, that's not the right approach.

Origin boss David DeMartini told Gamesindustry International that random deep-discounting of games "cheapens" IP, and promised not to copy the practice.

"We won't be doing that," he said, bluntly. "Obviously they think it's the right thing to do after a certain amount of time. I just think it cheapens your intellectual property.

"I know both sides of it, I understand it. If you want to sell a whole bunch of units, that is certainly a way to do that, to sell a whole bunch of stuff at a low price. The game makers work incredibly hard to make this intellectual property, and we're not trying to be Target. We're trying to be Nordstrom.

"When I say that, I mean good value, we're trying to give you a fair price point, and occasionally there will be things that are on sale you could look for a discount, just don't look for 75 per cent off going-out-of-business sales."

Origin is now the number two direct to consumer game service with over 11 million registered users, having launched a year ago. It is second only to Steam, which has some 40 million accounts.

A year into its life, Origin has generated $150 million in revenue, fuelled by the launch of Mass Effect 3, Battlefield 3 and Star Wars: The Old Republic. Indeed full game downloads were up 76 per cent year on year.

But it has been the subject of much debate among PC gamers who have seen EA titles removed from Steam as the battle between the two platforms has played out.

In April Valve boss Gabe Newell said Origin still had a long way to go before it could boast that it properly satisfies its customers.

"They have a lot of work to do to get to where they need to be and where I as a customer would want them to be," he said. "I don't think they're doing anything super-well yet.

"They have a bunch of smart people working on it but I think they're still playing catch up to a lot of people who have been working in the space for a while. I think they're recognising what the challenges are with building and scaling out this kind of system."

One criticism some have labelled at Steam is that its heavy discounts damage video game brands because gamers hold off on buying new releases at launch in anticipation of a future sale.

DeMartini agreed with this position: "What Steam does might be teaching the customer, 'I might not want it in the first month, but if I look at it in four or five months, I'll get one of those weekend sales and I'll buy it at that time at 75 per cent off.'

"It's an approach, and I'm not going to say it's not working for Valve. It certainly works for Valve; I don't know if it works as well for the publishing partners who take on the majority of that haircut."

Newell has is in the past defended the practice, insisting it has no negative impact on sales in other channels.

"Actually, Gabe will usually say it improves sales in other channels because if the game is good there are some water-cooler moments and it has a spring-up effect," DeMartini said.

"Without revealing too much, what I'll say is one way to deal with ageing inventory is you do deep discounts like that. There are other ways, which I can't really talk about, of dealing with product as it ages over a period of time, where you present a value to the customer and you engage them in your service on a going-forward basis."

DeMartini teased an alternative to Steam discounts will come to Origin, but stopped short of revealing what it is. "We don't believe in the drop-it-down, spring-it-up, 75 per cent off approach, but we've got something else that we do believe in that we'll be rolling out," he said.
     From Eurogamer.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Origin won't have any sales. Well that's convinced me to give up Steam then.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    EA heavily discount their mobile games all the time so I'm not sure what this guy has been smoking.
  • Weren't they giving BF3 away when you bought Mass Effect 3 on Origin?
  • That '11 million users', '2nd most popular service' annoys me; I joined Origin because I had to, to play BF3 - I joined Steam because I wanted to.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    TBF, Everyone who bought Half Life 2 installed Steam because they had to not because they wanted to. And it's still the only place you can buy Valve games isn't it?
  • Other than in a shop, yeah, I think so.
  • I joined on some sort of sweetener, might have been Portal. But generally, Steam does a great job at being a desirable platform, something you actually want with a lot of added benefit. Origin is shit, and I doubt anyone would want to be on it if it wasn't forced on them.
  • People hated Steam when it first launched.
  • I joined Steam so that someone could give me Dawn of War for free. I've yet to play it.
  • A fair few still feel that way frosty. A common question I get asked is "does it have Steam?" This is not ever followed up with them lauding the convenience and wonder of the service, but either "I'm not buying it if it has that crap in it" or "Thank god it doesn't I hate that thing".
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Other than in a shop, yeah, I think so.

They still sell PC games in shops?
  • Contrary to what the internet would have you believe mod, they certainly do. Except Diablo, though that seems to be down to Activision assuming no one wants their games that aren't COD.
  • A fair few still feel that way frosty. A common question I get asked is "does it have Steam?" This is not ever followed up with them lauding the convenience and wonder of the service, but either "I'm not buying it if it has that crap in it" or "Thank god it doesn't I hate that thing".

I wouldn't really want to buy a boxed PC game if it didn't activate on Steam.
  • It appears that a lot of the boxed PC market in Preston do not feel the same way.

Personally, if I buy a game on a disc, I don't want it to have to go anywhere near the internet.
  • Different demographic.

I think I've only bought one thing from Game in the last 2-3 years.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I might be heading to Preston soon.

Where's the shop, Dante?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!