Show networks
    Twitter
    @RetroGam3r
    PSN
    JIM-N-A
    Steam
    RetroGam3r

Send message
    My site is a mess and needs serious work, But I know fuck all except what I google. Anyone know some good ebooks for wordpress? Mainly plugins and theme creation?
    Checkout my site: www.gertlushgaming.co.uk  Friend Code: 1392-5016-6947. Town: Brizzle Name:Jim
  • I've got some torrented Wordpress books on both of those topics. Haven't been through them myself but I can upload them to the B&B Dropbox thing in a few hours if you want to take a look.
  • I need a Feedburner like thing for tracking subscribers and clicks on RSS feeds, but am reticent to use Feedburner 'cause Google always looks to be on the cusp of retiring it. Anyone got any experience of alternatives?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Surely your normal webstats will tell you how many hits your RSS url is getting?
  • It should but, beyond the fact it's a hassle to access, that's not even half of what I need it to do.

Edit: yes, I could manually integrate Bitly or similar, but that's a lot of hassle to go to when there's already things built to do exactly what I want.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    But Google Analytics are easy to access...

...and aside from the somewhat unreliable nature I'm not sure what else you need though?

If someone hits the url that's a subscriber. If they don't hit it they're not subscribing any more. I know I'm probably being simplistic but I'm missing what it is about that that needs managing?

What platform are you using? Drupal lets you see stats and/or Googe Analytics from within the interface.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Afraid you are Mod, just because someone has loaded your RSS doesn't mean they are a subscriber. In fact RSS in a lot of modern browsers doesn't even prompt you to subscribe, try Chrome for example. Your best bet is Feedburner.

However, an even more important point to consider is that RSS is in serious decline, hence the decision by Google to drop it's Reader. Most people today follow social networks to get their updates.

A better strategy would be to connect with people on Twitter, Facebook and Google+. You can then push out your content through those social networks and measure likes/shares/follows etc to get an idea of your online presence. You can use a tool like Hootsuite to push out to a range of social networks through a single interface. The basic version is free and you can pay $5.99 (I think) for the pro version which allows you to schedule posts and more. https://hootsuite.com
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I'm definitely confused. Don't you subscribe using whatever RSS reader you favour. What do we mean by subscribed in this context? I know someone loading the feed doesn't mean they're subscribed, but I'd have thought very broadly the numbers of loads would be a near enough approximation of subscribers. Assuming you've added them URL to the robots.txt

Also, https://bufferapp.com is a similar way to post to many at once.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Nope, RSS is just a page of information in a specific format that readers then parse and format as they wish. If you subscribe, you then get your information updated in your reader when the content on the site is updated. 

Web analytics (Google etc) only record visits if some one actually visits your website, which they won't do if they read your site content in their reader as they are not on your site. A site like Feedburner actually records the number of subscribers to the feed.

Not sure what you are talking about with Robots.txt as this has nothing to do with RSS.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Ahh right, I thought every load was recorded regardless of whether it was from a user in a browser or not. But if you say not then OK.

Robots.txt would (should) stop crawlers hitting the feed url and being recorded. But if you say they're not recorded anyway then OK.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    By the by, did you know Drupal will create an RSS for any page if you simply add /feed to the url? Handy that. I loves me some Drupal.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Hits from a package like AW Stats, which is common on most servers are server side statistics and are quite basic.

Modern analytics like google analytics use JavaScript to detect when a page is loaded and can pull a lot more info and they filter out spider hits, so yeah I understand now what you mean by robots.txt as you could block spiders from hitting your rss page. Only issue there is some spiders, like googles spider also pretend to be normal browsers to see if people are serving different info to spiders for SEO than they do to users. I'm gonna stop cos I'm even boring myself now.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    No carry on, it's interesting. I don't have much to do with stats apart from setting them up. Some of my users worry about them but as you alluded to earlier social sites offer much quicker and more detailed engagement metrics.

I don't look at my own stats much as they're too depressing.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Oh god!!

I'm guessing your clients aren't paying for metrics so set them up with Google Analytics, ensure you setup goals for things like thank you pages for contact/enquiry forms.

If you have on page interactions like downloads of PDFs jquery tabs etc then you can also add Event tracking to monitor those interactions, you could for example event track every time someone clicked a share icon, doesn't mean they completed the share action but is a good indication. Check Googles help files on how to setup.

For things like social engagement you will need to use a third party solution as Googles stats aren't that great yet at tracking social interaction. I think the pro version of Hootsuite has social metrics or something like Hubspot have social tracking, not sure on the free side as I don't do thy much social work. These tools can also be used to see how your site/brand is being discussed online. Have a look around for buzz monitoring.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    You might know, in Google Analytics, Google claims there are no links whatsoever to my site. And doing the "link:mysite" query also returns no links. Is that right? Does Google actually think no sites/pages link to me. Bing reports 745 inbound links. Feels like something has gone horribly wrong there.
  • Okay, been out for a curry and beers with my dad, so you might have to bear with me while I blather on a bit.

Google Analytics, while fucking awesome, won't work for RSS (outside displaying it in a browser that supports XSLT templates for XML) since it's JavaScript based so requires a web page to operate from and, as Boris says, RSS is just XML pulled into readers. I guess I could generate a redirect URL, but then you have to deal with negating the campaign settings. I'm surprised you didn't know how GA works, Mod; do you not use it?

I'm using a custom thing, built on Symfony, for this; Drupal is a bit overkill right now. While I've not used Drupal properly, I do like the look of it. Waiting for version 8 to launch before I start on it in ernest, though, mainly because it's based on Symfony and I fucking love Symfony.

These days, counting subscribers is going to be difficult with any accuracy, since services like Feedly will be reading the feed once for any number of users. This isn't overly important, though, because of the other thing FeedBurner and ilk do, which is changing all your URLs to tracking proxies, so you can see how many people have clicked on them.

I realise that RSS isn't used by many people any more, but it's so easy to set up a feed there's no reason not to and I'm still curious how many people access it and what CTR it's getting. I've already got my system posting automatically to Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus and Tumblr using a combination of HootSuite, IFTTT and Tumblr's built-in scheduler. There's even an email subscription option. I'm still evaluating it all, but I'm very impressed with HootSuite. For what it's worth, I found Buffer to be pretty useless.

Edit: Damn you pesky fast people... now I've got to go back, read and maybe respond to more...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    GA won't record links to your site only visits from those links under referrals. Google Webmaster Tools will show links but its a bit dodgy if you ask me. Openwebsitexplorer.org can show you links and will at least give you an understanding, but you have to pay for the pro version to get full data. If you want to PM me your site I can generate you a full report as I pay for the pro service.
  • Phew, nothing other than to say how awesome I find GA. I'd share some pics of the amazing dashboards I have, but I don't have any with data I can show publicly.

What seems a bit dodgy about Webmaster Tools to you, Boris?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I don't trust some of Googles link reports. They have an agenda not to give you the full picture as it means people cannot game the system so I think they don't show you the full range of quality sites that are linkin to you. I use moz.com that work hard trying to create a full link profile based on their understanding of Google's link algorithm.

I know that sounds nuts, but they base the link metrics on the relative popularity of sites across the web, with more transparency than Google
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    AJ_ wrote:
    I'm surprised you didn't know how GA works, Mod; do you not use it?

I don't use it a great deal no, other than trying to fettle SEO. I'm not really running a website as such.

In any case I was conflating server stats with analytics, my bad.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    GA won't record links to your site only visits from those links under referrals. Google Webmaster Tools will show links but its a bit dodgy if you ask me. Openwebsitexplorer.org can show you links and will at least give you an understanding, but you have to pay for the pro version to get full data. If you want to PM me your site I can generate you a full report as I pay for the pro service.

Sorry, I said GA I meant Webmaster Tools. That (and the "link:wotevs" query in the main search page) both report no Links To Your Site. I'll PM my site but I kinda know already what pages link to it, I just can't understand why Google reports zero do when Bing reports at least the ones I know do (i.e. the ones I made) and a few I didn't.

Rev said it's because Google can take its sweet time indexing, but there's been pages linking to my company domain for well over a year now.
  • You should stick GA on some sites, Mod, just to play with it; it's awesome fun if you're anything like as nerdy as me.

I think I get what you mean, Boris; are you talking about the links it doesn't count for Pagerank? Do you see a lot of difference between what Google's and other services report?
  • Mod, what are the links you don't see on Google like? Could it be Google's decided they're spam links and so ignores them?

I know it does take ages for some links to appear in Webmaster Tools and even longer for the "link:" queries. That music site I posted the a while back still doesn't have any incoming links according to a "link:" query.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Mod the link command hasn't worked properly for years. I can't remember the last time I used it. What my link report will show you is the relative quality of the sites linking to your site. If they are all low then Google will probably be if ignoring them.

AJ PageRank is a tricky one. Google still uses PR, but it is an internal metric it uses within its own algorithm and it is constantly updating based on the continually shifting factors. However the public PR updates much more slowly, maybe once or twice a year if you are lucky, so you can't make changes to your strategy then rely on PR to tell you if you are on the right track.

For example, lets say you are after a link from a site that has PR 4, during this time Google has downgraded the PR of the site to 3, but you won't see the PR change for some time.

The only other service I use is Moz.com and their service updates much more quickly. But you have to pay for it. In general Moz.com is pretty close to the PR of the site in question.
  • Ahahaha! Apparently (according to Google) the second most relevant keyword for this site is "correctly".
  • Aye, I get how PageRank works, what I was wondering is if the links you see missing from Google reports, compared to Moz, are the ones from locations which'll have low PR scores.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ahh right I see, tbf unless a client starts to bang on about PR I don't generally check as its not worth my time.

At the end of the day it shouldn't just be the PR (or DA in moz) you should be looking at, but the relevance of the sites to yours. For me anything else is just spam. Better to build links with like minded sites.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    AJ_ wrote:
    Mod, what are the links you don't see on Google like? Could it be Google's decided they're spam links and so ignores them?

They're just footer links
    <a href="http://www.CompanySite.co.uk/"; title="Web Design Newcastle" target="_blank">Web design Newcastle</a> by CompanyName

Plus whatever has been posted to social media. Though I'm presuming Google mostly ignore them?

tO3h6gy.png
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Plus even though a site might have a low PR/DA if it is an active content rich site those metrics will build over time and your link will be sitting there for even longer. So as their site builds in popularity the link authority they pass to your site will grow.
  • Well, maybe it doesn't like the random semicolon you throw in them. ;)

Do you know the stats for those sites linking to yours, Mod? If they're low traffic, Google could well be ignoring them for some things.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!