Everybody's gone to the rapture
  • I didnt put as much thought into it as you did to be honest, im just running with what you're saying
  • I wonder whether games like this are shit for those with little imagination. Spoon feed me pls.
  • Seems a reasonable supposition.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Same with Destiny.
  • Nah, Destiny is just intentionally vacuous. It's purely a fun with friends title. The great aching void at the centre of it is ironically it's greatest strength.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I, too, have a thing for aching voids.
  • I've just started 'Lizzie'. Is there much more of this to sit through?
  • I'm going to say you're at circa 60% through....but then the characters didn't really grab me so I might be a bit off.

Strength of the game for me is the way it communicates absence through the broader environment, and its smaller, more personally compartmentalised spaces.  

I'm sure there's bits of dialogue and things I've missed and I'd like to replay again in the future.... but I would need a speed-boost patch first. Too little patience on my part probably.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I wouldn't play this expecting a game. T'story's superfluous to me. It's just very, very pretty, and that's the experience I'd play for.

But then I do love wandering around in real nature, such is my boredom threshold. I wear clothes; such is my threshold.
  • Just played this (I'm off work, so thought I may as well sit down and do the whole lot.)  For me, at least, it doesn't really work.  

It's an undeniably pretty strolling-in-the-English-countryside simulator, but that just made me feel stupid for not actually spending the afternoon walking around in the real thing.

Meanwhile I quite enjoyed the elements that were lifted straight from Emmerdale - the inter-family arguments and intrigue - not the usual stuff you find in a game.  However it's quite a feat to pull off a plot in which everyone in the world is dead, and still manage to make it not terribly compelling - for all its desperate reaching for philosophy, it felt more like a duff episode of Doctor Who.  (Without any of the humour.)

Humph.  I suspect I'm being particularly hard on it, because I wanted to like it, but ultimately I was bored.  (A problem not helped by the worst part of the game being its finale.)  Which isn't to say that you need a bunch of puzzles, or a wave of zombies to make a game interesting - but if you're going to make it little more than a pretty way of funnelling players from one plot point to another, you've got to actually have a decent story to tell...
  • So, I finally finished this… this literally soporific mess. I was genuinely nodding off with the pad in my hand for the last two characters.

As somebody has already pointed out, don’t make countless references to ‘all of the birds dying’, and ‘birds falling out of the sky’, and litter the ground with avian carcasses, then have birdsong everywhere that you go.

Don’t needlessly introduce changes in the time of day if your night skybox is a pig of a flat texture and your engine chuggs at a spluttering, stuttering frame rate every time you move the sun.

Don’t have a game heavily reliant on voice acting, and employ only those types of Radio Actors who like to show of their Acting with every syllable. Fuck me, they’re fucking awful. Spectacularly, despite all the Actorly voices, I only ever recognised two of them without the constant refering to each other by name. One of them because he was in Bread, and the other because she was American.

Don’t make your only gameplay mechanic a) pointless , b) motion controlled, or c) stubborn.

Don’t refuse to give your player a map then make so many of your in-game maps so difficult to read. Don’t, amazingly, make pretty much all of the maps in the top-half of the game world lie flat, so they’re even harder to read.

Don’t make your player move at a snail's pace then put them in a world with no obvious route to follow to find everything first time.

Don’t apparently introduce a visual indicator where ajar doors can be opened and closed ones can’t, only to occasionally have ajar doors stuck and closed ones openable.

Don’t allow a door to open into an area where there is nothing to find, and nothing to do. Especially don’t do this when that initial door leads to an area where all the other doors you’ve coded shut have no lock on them, making their inability to open nonsensical.

Don’t have a mechanic of hearing telephone calls if you don’t have some sort of telephone interaction animation.

Don’t allow pretty physics of walking through a sheet hanging on a line if a) the pristine sheet appears to suddenly then be covered in grubby lines, and b) it makes it obvious that in this entire valley, nobody has clothes hanging out to dry, but nearly everyone has white sheets hanging out to dry.

Don’t have the pissy, floaty camera which gives you no sense of existing in this world bob laughably over some footballs, but crash into an invisible wall at some tyres lying flat on a sheet. Don't also have it bob dismayingly over flimsy plastic picnic chairs, and unrealistically over styles.

Just fucking don’t.

I wanted to like this. I liked the early eighties look, I liked the feeling, at times, of a populated world suddenly emptied. But, in my often flawed opinion, there’s little point in making a world so pretty if player interaction with it is so devoid of feeling. The fact that, for example, swings swing and drying sheets flap over you only draws more attention to the fact that everything else is welded tight.

I know it’s the same in many other fps, but more than ever I did not feel I was a physical presence in this world. The sound of the footsteps (which seem totally out of sync with the rate of movement) suggests I’m controlling someone left behind. A physical person. These occasional interactions reinforced the idea, but everything else just fails completely. Maybe it wouldn’t fit with what they were trying to do (whatever that may be) but I spent the whole time wanting this to be third-person, and for there to be animations to back up the interactions.

I’ve often said that what’s important for me in whether or not a game looks good is a sense of solidity. I don’t get any of that with EGttR, so it’s prettiness counts for very little. It’s incredibly pretty, as long as you don’t move or do anything. And that makes the already paltry level of interactivity even more pointless.

A pointless waste of time.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    We should get adkm to play more shit games, his rants are quite etertaining.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Sing it lads.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'd have liked them to leave a fair amount of religious symbolism throughout rather than just frontend it all for the first character and drop it afterwards.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    I'd have liked them to leave a fair amount of religious symbolism throughout rather than just frontend it all for the first character and drop it afterwards.

Nope

Maybe i liked it more because i hadn't paid for it
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Finished, posted in Just Completed. 

Won't be playing again.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I was tempted to go back again to pick up some of the more esoteric trophies (trainspotting..wha?) but probably never will. Did enjoy it though...
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • I'm gonna clean up on Sunday and get that Platinum just for the hell of it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I got trainspotting. No idea how.
  • You get it from just looking at the train numbers. Only one of them is kinda hidden, you have to go to the end of the track (in woods area) and look at last train.
  • Trophies in a game like Rapture seem utterly intrusive and stupid.
  • And if you look at some of them they are indeed utterly stupid. Getting platinum would involve multiple, lengthy, contrived playthroughs building a detailed knowledge of the whole map, and if you've got the time or inclination to do that you are an irredeemable cunt.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Anyone who gets platinum, or max gamerscore on any game needs to check their life a bit tbh. Fuck achievements.
  • They're not entirely without merit. I think I'm two achievements shy of maximum on Revengeance, and one of the last ones I got was some of the best times playing that game - specifically the  achievement for defeating all bosses on hard without taking any damage.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    My Dark Souls platinum gives me power inconceivable you ignorant bellends.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    They're not entirely without merit. I think I'm two achievements shy of maximum on Revengeance, and one of the last ones I got was some of the best times playing that game - specifically the  achievement for defeating all bosses on hard without taking any damage.

Monsoon flashbacks.
  • It was Armstrong that proved toughest really. Stupid fist fight.
  • I loved it too. That guy that comes apart (what was his name again?) was most memorable for me.

I'm gonna go for platinum in USFIV on PS4. All those trials all again but now on stick instead of pad? Fuck, it's gonna be a challenge.
  • Duh, Bollo mentioned him. RIGHT HAND RULE, JACK!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!