PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Speedhaak wrote:
    Well personally I don't know what the fascination is with playing games based in the real world. It defeats the escapism aspect of it all.

I'm all for escapism too, and thought Chicago I'm Watch Dogs was a load of old bullocks, but just think this Manhattan looks (and it's looks I'm talking about specifically) cracking

• Speedhaak wrote:
    Well personally I don't know what the fascination is with playing games based in the real world. It defeats the escapism aspect of it all.

Speaking as somebody who has never visited a post Event New York, let alone shot up the various miscreants that inhabit it, I'd say The Division counts as escapism.

GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Pre ordered to get a code and got it straight away. If it's plop I'll cancel.
  • What we all really want though, is a now gen China Rising. I don't think this or Wildlands is it, but the latter may come close.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    As in the BF map dlc?
  • Nah, its a new restaurant
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Decent vid by datto introducing the game and it's mechanics:

• FranticPea wrote:
    As in the BF map dlc?

China Rising, Dragon Rising, whatevs.
  • Uh oh. You made a boo boo.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Ah. I didn't twig.
  • Speedhaak wrote:
    Although, if it weren't Ubisoft and had they not (once again) put misleading content out there prior to this I might have been interested, but after watching several YouTube and seeing just how downgraded the graphics are compared to E3 I thinks it's foolish to give them money. Really unsavoury practise, it is.

regmcfly wrote:
    There'd been rumours for ages that it was a "secret numbers game", but none of the vids / footage till now had been so explicit. What a gutter if this is it for this gen.
    Facewon wrote:
    I'm sure I always had the impression it was rpgish.

I'm at work right now, can someone post the relevant clips, because, as i said, I'm sure I always had the impression it was going to be RPGland.

Don't know that I've noticed a downgrade in graphics either.

I could be wrong, mind you, the fucking things been coming for 85 years.

(Also, for context: remember I started the "in which way will the next Ubisoft games suck" thread.)
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    There's a video in the OP from the 2013 E3 reveal which has damage numbers popping and shit which hints at the RPG elements. Think they've always been there, long before Destiny was a success.

It is odd how many people seem to be surprised by it though, myself included the other week. Maybe it's just having played and experienced Destiny I now see this stuff with a different set of eyes and notice stuff that passed me by on first watch. Either that or I'm getting old and senile, but that's unpossible, right?
  • Graphics have been scaled down a good deal Face:

https://youtu.be/uv5OXQayi2o

I'm amazed this is getting so much interest. It looks pretty third rate if you ask me. I don't see how shooting dozens of indentikit humanoid bullet sponges is gonna last.

The online team play and persistent world they've pinched from Destiny looks great, but without the variety and colour, coupled with that Bungie magic in the gunplay, I can't see this lasting more than a couple of weeks. Reports are it's buggy as hell which is worrying so close to release.

Never forget Watchdogs.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    Angry Joe sits down with the devs and plays The Division for an hour. Asks a lot of questions, gets a lot of answers. There's nearly an hour of this, but if you're at all interested in the game, then it's well worth watching... Me? I'm liking the look of most of what I'm seeing. Looks like it could be a hoot in co-op/multiplayer.
    After what Ubisoft did with Watchdogs you can colour me completely out of the frame for this. It looks heavily run of the mill. Visuals look way worse than that initial E3 reveal. I do wonder how much variety there will be with nothing but humanoid AI to shoot as well. The third person action looks distinctly lacklustre.

OK, so I admit I haven't read all promo/preview stuff for this, but am getting more perplexed by this narrative of a. a downgrade in graphics and b. RPG aspects being added in response to Destiny.

The E3 reveal Has numbers all over the shop. Right smack bang in the middle of the screen after a kill it says:

+250xp

How are people surprised by this?

I also question, unless someone's done some proper side by side pixel counting, that there's been a "major" downgrade. 

Don't know what the E3 reveal was running on, and it was clearly scripted to fuck, but the angry joe vid looks to me exactly like how I would expect the gameplay to look in the hands of an actual player vs a scripted e3 presentation. 

Seriousy confused by folks feeling duped or misled.
  • Speaking of misleading, that clip you linked shows a side by side comparison, and then I couldn't find a single side by side in the whole thing. (Granted I'm skipping with no sound.)
  • I read somewhere that while the graphics have been toned down (like that's never happened before) ten alpha, which everyone is comparing it to, wasnt the full texture pack.
  • It's not misleading, it's fact. Should've listened to the vid bud. ;)

I find it amazing that people are hyped for this game when there is already a game out there that does all this stuff - third person online, team based action in a big city - this game has even more to boot, it has vehicles and a true open world and custom missions and upgrades and ranking.

It's called GTAV.

Nobody plays it.

It's over two years old FFS.

When I look at this game that's the game
    that springs to mind before any other - GTA but without all the other good stuff.
  • But GTA online was awful.
  • Exactly!! It still gets updates now though. When was the last time any of us played it? Heists came out and we never touched it.

I remember having an absolute riot with badgers a couple of weeks after release. We were all there. Then it just died.
  • It took them too long to get it running. 
    Nowadays if it's not working well out of the box then by the time it's fixed its dead.

Caveat - online.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I read GTAO was good these days, just no one bothers with it.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • pantyfire wrote:
    It took them too long to get it running.  Nowadays if it's not working well out of the box then by the time it's fixed its dead. Caveat - online.
    Fair warning, I'm going to waffle here...

Which is weird though right, cos stuff like gta online comes out broken and there's a small window where if they make it awesome in time it retains a decent player base. But a free to play or open alpha/beta comes out and is obviously broken and still early days but can still grow a player base long term. Expectations I reckon, we buy things like gta and the division as blockbuster boxed products, expecting (hoping) the online to be pretty much spot on within a few weeks, but stuff like mine craft we can get behind for the long term from an alpha.  Makes me wonder what would happen if Ubi had developed the division in the way minecraft was made, for its entire 5+ year cycle.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • The point I'm trying to make is that this game seems to comprise of mainly peeking out of cover behind waist high walls and shooting things.

Without the emergent hilarity of vehicles and all that other stuff that is supposed to be fun, I just can't see the lasting appeal in it at all.

GTAO is one giant sandbox yet none of us bother. I'm pretty sure it still has a big player base though.

Funny old game.
  • It would be really refreshing if you could start slagging a game off once you've played it.
  • For me the appeal of this is teamwork. 
    The emergent hilarity of GTA drove me nuts. 

Hey lets do this? 
    Nnneeeeooooww webbing goes flying past hanging off the back of a plane. Mission failed. 
    Restart mission, oh, g has been dumped, hang on why cant we join the same server now, WTF!?

I don't want a sandbox, with random shit going off all the time.  

I want a tight tactical team shooter, that isn't a jacked up on speed twitch fest.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:

I want a tight tactical team shooter, that isn't a jacked up on speed twitch fest.

This. I don't think this is it though, but am willing to give it a shot.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Oh, it's Chalice. Again. Pointlessly reducing a game to a single mechanic again too, just like 'follow the yellow dot' GTAV. Yawn.

Good video Moe.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:
    pantyfire wrote:

This is what I am expecting from this- watched a few vids the other night- not really on board with the crit. in here but have noticed the difference between visual promises in the recent vid. DIdn't Watchdags face the same aesthetic challenge when it came to delivery?
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano wrote:
    FranticPea wrote:
    pantyfire wrote:

This is what I am expecting from this- watched a few vids the other night- not really on board with the crit. in here but have noticed the difference between visual promises in the recent vid. DIdn't Watchdags face the same aesthetic challenge when it came to delivery?

It did indeed.
  • It's not misleading, it's fact.

I was half tongue in cheek, but seriously, unless I missed it, the still screen in your post shows side by side, yet there's no side by side of The Division in the vid. Not that that matters particularly, a drop off in quality, as someone pointed out, from E3 reveal to final product is a complete non-shocker. I'm going to say that it happens on just about every fucking release ever. Whether it should or not is moot, again, I'm just a little confused by people feeling misled, or surprised. 

I mean I'm only comparing youtube vid to youtube vid, and the link you provided is a guy talking about dynamic lights and reflections and such and highlighting details in the background which, frankly, aren't the be all and end all. 

Anyhoo, will probably give this a bash when it comes out, mayber.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!