Current Affairs
  • My problem with the whole thing is: the actual facts look bad for the kid. So why was there a need for made-up bullshit to make him look worse, and why did well-paid journalists not question the bullshit while maintaining the actual facts?

He didn't buy a gun he was given it, he didn't own it illegally, he didn't "cross state lines" other than to go to his job in Kenosha the night before -so why make it up (or parrot falsehoods without fact-checking) when it already looks real bad for him:

He was roaming around a febrile atmosphere with a fucking assault rifle almost as big as he is, and he lost control of a situation, and he shot and killed 2 people and wounded another. He claims self defence and frankly, the first guy he shot was at the very least scary and needing mental healthcare - whether he goes down for that, or not, in strictly legal terms is not something I'd like to be on the jury to decide. In reality we all know if he was black he'd already be in prison but that's not what the law should be about.

What I really fucking hate about the made up facts which have been repeated everywhere ad nauseam is how much ammunition it gives to the racist cunts on the other side: if they're making this up they must be making everything else up and so Rittenhouse is innocent and BLM is terrorism and mainstream media is fucking terrible (which is not true in all cases and certainly doesn't help stopping people getting their "news" from dodgyonlinecuntshills.com
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Not as poor as the judge though.
    Is he though? Genuine question. I don't know much about legal formalities etc, but at a brief glance over the competing narrative summaries, I found the arguments justifying the judge's words/actions to be more convincing. That may well be because I haven't given enough time to looking into it, so if I've overlooked something, please do share it.

I'm not an expert at all, and I've not been following the case as closely as Griff, so I might be exposing myself a little here.

Apparently, he's the most experienced judge on his circuit (40+ years experience), and is known to be a judge that consistently upholds the rights of the defence. Tbh, these are probably good qualities. 

The most contentious of his two rulings (or whatever they're called) were the request that the victims, not be referred to as 'victims', and another request that a video of Rittenhouse saying that he'd shoot looters would not be admitted into evidence.

The first (the prohibition use of the term 'victims') would have been fine, if, for example, the judge was equally nervous about the use of the terms 'looters' and 'rioters'. Apparently, this is the type of thing Judge Schroeder does consistently as a way of redressing the balance between the defence and prosecution. I can understand the reasoning, but in the context of this trial, surely you also strike the term 'rioter', and force the defence to prove who the 'looters' are. 

That's probably one of the main criticisms of Judge Shroeder, and I think it's bad enough. It already prejudices the jury to think of 'self defence', even before the lawyers debate it.

This also feeds straight into the decision to strike out the video of Rittenhouse expressing a desire to act as a vigilante. Surely if the defence team are allowed to tell the jury about the criminal pasts of those who were shot and killed, then the prosecution should be allowed to raise evidence where the perpetrator himself describes the very crime he's been all but caught for.

So those are the arguments against the judge that I feel clearly show some bias. And as always, I'm pretty sure there are many other people who can pick up these two points, and provide a better argument than my own.

But aside from these two very serious, but admittedly subjective, points of view, you have the Judge and his gaffes... 
    This guy might claim to be impartial, but some of the shit he's said and done in his courtroom, in front of the cameras, inspire no confidence in the idea of a fair trial at all.

At least two clunky racist gaffes. That pause during the address to the jury. The veterans day salutation. The ringtone thing...

I bet the prosecution are seething. You're fighting to admit fairly important material into evidence, all the while, this prick appears to be thumbing his nose at the sizable portion of society that want to see Rittenhouse prosecuted for murder.

You're right though. The prosecution team has been utterly stupid. So much so, you'd wonder if it was planned. 
    So now, there's a very high chance of a mistrial.

Apparently, in a new development, there's a drone video of the very first shots fired, and it doesn't look good for Rittenhouse.
    But, of course, there's some dispute over it's introduction. The defence want this new vid stuck out and, while they're at it, how about a mistrial?

That said, I think the Judge defence team has gone on record and said that he'd they'd take the heavy handed mistakes of the prosecution in good faith, so if there is a mistrial, they'll take the mishandled material as new evidence, and allow Rittenhouse to stand trial again.

But while it was supposedly said on record, I think it's still speculation.
    So a mistrial could still mean Rittenhouse walks away and is never tried again.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • On that last point, the defence have withdrawn their motion for mistrial with prejudice (ie: no retrial) to simple mistrial which means Rittenhouse could be re-tried
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Well, the jury's still out. So I'm guessing the judge can wait for the hung jury verdict, and stop making a prat of himself.
  • Have been following this. For my money Rittenhouse is a shitbag who went looking for trouble, and waited to trial to tailor his story. He did buy that gun, he just couldn't buy it so he agreed someone else would pending his being legally able to own it. It's all a bullshit story. He went to Kenosha to own the libs, pure and simple.

But the judge is sound and the case is shaky af. I cannot see a unanimous verdict of first degree murder. I don't blame the jury, once you give someone the right to open carry an AR15, the law on self defence stops making sense.

"I feared for my life"
    "But you had an ar15 and he was unarmed"
    "Exactly".

It's all circular. Prosecution having to say, the victims had a right to self defence also.

It just makes no logical sense. It's a tautology.

TLDR America is a fucking nuthouse
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    If there isn't enough premeditative evidence for first-degree, does a murder charge default to second-degree and continue down the line? Is it a thing to gamble on a higher charge as a calculated dodge, in other words?

In my limited understanding of US law this can't be third-degree because he knowingly aimed at them (unless he's claimed he intended warning shots?), nor involuntary manslaughter because there was no immediate threat when he started firing.

Voluntary manslaughter and a few years, d'ya reckon?

(Also, he looks like a wrong 'un. Tried and tested. Listen to the music, Marge.)
  • Have been following this. For my money Rittenhouse is a shitbag who went looking for trouble, and waited to trial to tailor his story. He did buy that gun, he just couldn't buy it so he agreed someone else would pending his being legally able to own it. It's all a bullshit story. He went to Kenosha to own the libs, pure and simple. But the judge is sound and the case is shaky af. I cannot see a unanimous verdict of first degree murder. I don't blame the jury, once you give someone the right to open carry an AR15, the law on self defence stops making sense. "I feared for my life" "But you had an ar15 and he was unarmed" "Exactly". It's all circular. Prosecution having to say, the victims had a right to self defence also. It just makes no logical sense. It's a tautology. TLDR America is a fucking nuthouse

Agree with this, basically. Can anyone tell me what happened to Greg Greenwald by the way?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Glenn Greenwald?

His hatred of the liberal establishment seems to have blinded him to the danger currently being posed by the US right wing, and has led him to some very questionable positions.
  • Yeah him. His tweets on Rittenhouse were interestingly cherry -picked. All about how the "MSM" have been peddling a false narrative, but without any of the balancing "but he's still a racist cunt" part that I hope I made clear in my post above. He seems deep in to the "owning the libs / MSM / establishment" rabbit hole rather than, you know, thoughtfully unpicking the problems whilst maintain balance
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yeah, I stopped following him on Twitter a while back. He does seem to have gone off the rails.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    He went nuts a good few years ago.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    There's ya Not Guilty then. Murica woo.
  • Cue a whole bunch of good ol’ boys rednecks with the confederate flag doing vigilante “patrols” with their assault rifles in black areas to “keep the peace”, meanwhile a black dude in an open carry state will get gunned down by police for walking about entirely legally with his gun.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    What a fucking horrible verdict.
  • Called it. The evidence was thin, and their laws are stupid. If he can have an ar15 on him, anyone charging him = self defence.

Of course, if black people open carried, the police would execute them. Like they already did Huey
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I don't think the country will allow this verdict to stand. 

This decision is too cruel.
  • Don't put kids inside, regardless. Stupid case, seems like they aimed way too high and sensational here. I hope the prosecuting team are feeling like real dickheads.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I actually do agree with keeping kids out of jail (where it makes sense). But is this the price?
  • Yep, apparently it is.

Of course now he gets to be a talk radio blob for the rest of his life, which I don't think I'd wish on many people either.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I don't think that's a fair concession. How many people did you think about killing at the age of 17 (or threaten to kill), and how many did you actually kill?

Why didn't you kill them?
  • Hopefully he'll try this shit again at some point and get killed, preferably by a cop so they won't be charged.
  • I don't think that's a fair concession. How many people did you think about killing at the age of 17 (or threaten to kill), and how many did you actually kill? Why didn't you kill them?

I'm super lazy, among other things.
  • Well done America. Libs own'd.
    Can-of-sprite
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I think I'm ok with 17-year-olds going to jail for killing people
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    I don't think that's a fair concession. How many people did you think about killing at the age of 17 (or threaten to kill), and how many did you actually kill? Why didn't you kill them?

I'm super lazy, among other things.

Lol. Most of us have that box ticked.

Leaving a killer unpunished however, is madness.
    White or black. Young or old.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    If it wasn't so cold I reckon a good chunk of America would be burning this weekend.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Fuck it. Burn it all down folks. You’re fucked either way.
  • If it wasn't so cold I reckon a good chunk of America would be burning this weekend.

If the verdict had been the other way around I think it would have.
    Can-of-sprite
  • I'm curious what would have happened had he been shot/ injured? Its madness to think that he was let walk around in a dangerous situation, armed, effectively endorsed by the Police (the Police did encounter him and the other vigilante militia and basically thanked them I think) 

Awful situation, I cant think of a more divided first world country than the states. Libs v Dems. Whites v Blacks. Immigrants v "supposedly" Indigenous, North v South.

Back when the Charleston shooting happened, Jon Stewart made a fair point on the strangeness of America - they will break every rule, invade other nations and spend insane money to "keep America safe" but none of those outside threats compare to the damage Americans do to each other. 

A pity, most of the Americans I've met (and I met a lot through work) are lovely people.
    SFV - reddave360
  • On a straight up ethical analysis, it would have been better if someone had shot him, two lives saved and someone's arm.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!