GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Brooks wrote:
    Yeah I'm no fan but I strongly suspect he was speaking in some kind of qualifying context, however clumsy. Spotty'll be covering their arse here, clumsily.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/feb/05/joe-rogan-apologises-for-using-n-word-and-racist-planet-of-the-apes-story

Certainly seems to be his angle.

I've listened to a good few rogan episodes over the year. He is alpha male through and through but racist and homophobic seems a reach.

Have you seen the clip where he describes a black neighborhood as 'the planet of the apes, like walking into Africa". That shows what his attitude really is, no matter how much he back peddled or apologies afterwards, those words were what he thought appropriate when describing a black neighborhood. He's a piece of shit.
  • https://youtu.be/nNwxyxdKXh4

There's the clip, worth going to about 3.20 where he makes the point that sitting in a theatre full of black people having to watch trailers for movies with only white people, no wonder they feel disenfranchised.

He fucks up at the start (and he calls himself on it) but hard to say his overall observation is that of a racist.
    SFV - reddave360
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    He describes the community as the planet of the apes. He is also very surprised that he had a positive experience there, which inferes that for whatever reason he didn't think he would have in a black neighborhood. Why is that?

That he felt it appropriate or acceptable to use those terms to describe black people, and the fact that he assumed that going to the cinema in a predominantly black neighborhood would be a negative experience speaks volumes about his actual attitude. And why didn't his co-hosts/guests immediately pull him up on it? It's telling.

The fact he even thinks it's a story worth telling (I went to the cinema in a black neighborhood and survived, this is my story) rings alarm bells.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    New Prime Minister of Peru has to leave office after just 4 days in power because his hat was just too stupid.
    MQ5DGQVFS5IZ7EWJNY56BEMRPY.jpg

Actually it was because he was battering his wife and daughter but who cares about that, right?
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    https://youtu.be/nNwxyxdKXh4

There's the clip, worth going to about 3.20 where he makes the point that sitting in a theatre full of black people having to watch trailers for movies with only white people, no wonder they feel disenfranchised.

He fucks up at the start (and he calls himself on it) but hard to say his overall observation is that of a racist.

They removed 70 eps. Now, whether he's dropping n bombs in all of them, I'm not sure, but it seems he's a repeat offender. I also don't get the inevitable responses like this. (have to single you out RD because I've quoted you, but honestly, I promise I'm commenting on the bigger trend rather than trying to aim at you specifically)

Why do folks feel the need to actively go hunting for caveats, context, and generally bend over backwards to find a way give benefit of the doubt? The pearl clutching over someone being called racist is freakin weird.

Anyhoo.

Fuck rogan.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Maybe Rogan should just chat with musicians and actors etc and avoid the controversial types. He's fine when he's talking about their music and lives and stuff. I wonder if Spotify has that level of control over him.
  • I don’t care either way about Rogan TBH, but i gotta figure that in however many thousand podcasts, each several hours long (?), he’s gonna have come out with a lot of howlers, especially given his need to interview “interesting”/controversial folk to get content that gets listeners, and his skewing towards the “ooh I wanna be an edgy edge-lord that says the thing!”
  • Facewon wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    https://youtu.be/nNwxyxdKXh4

They removed 70 eps. Now, whether he's dropping n bombs in all of them, I'm not sure, but it seems he's a repeat offender. I also don't get the inevitable responses like this. (have to single you out RD because I've quoted you, but honestly, I promise I'm commenting on the bigger trend rather than trying to aim at you specifically)

Why do folks feel the need to actively go hunting for caveats, context, and generally bend over backwards to find a way give benefit of the doubt? The pearl clutching over someone being called racist is freakin weird.

Anyhoo.

Fuck rogan.

I think context is important. I think there is a fair distinction between hulk hogan's use of the n word and tarrantinos for example. You can make a strong argument neither should use the word but there is still a distinction between the use of the word.

People are saying Rogans a racist and I don't agree. I've gone through the planet of the apes clip and to me it's not the comments of a racist. Feel free to disagree. I think he was ignorant/ arrogant in his use of the word, I think his apology is much more sincere than his vaccine one.

By all means call out the episodes and moments where he has stepped over the line, but he does seem both aware that it was wrong and committed to not repeating the mistake again.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Ok...

I still fail to understand why you even feel the need to listen to it in depth to try and decide if the context is important.

Dude is a millionaire how many times over and as has been repeated many times (by me, let's be honest, as well as others) he's got a track record of letting charlatans, bigots and conspiracy theorists on his show.

Do I need to listen to Alex Jones on rogan for 3 hours to make sure that I have all the context for saying he's offensively wrong that Sandy hook didn't happen and that all his brain pills are garbage? Really?

Do I need to check for context if Gavin macguiness, founder of the proud boys, goes on rogan and talks about Muslims breading like roaches to check if maybe he's alright and just misunderstood?

See the covid thread for an excellent thread on his interview technique and lack of facts when it comes to covid conspiracy.

Fuck the guy. (my ire aims to be proportionate to his reach and influence.)

Anyhoo.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Joe Rogan is actually church for a lot of people who think religion is stupid imo.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Mmmm, breaded roaches.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Maybe it's my mood today, but that story of the poor kid dying down a 30 metre hole in Morocco has really upset me. I guess I can't help thinking of my own kid, alone and broken, crying at the bottom of a dark hole. What a shit world. Usually I can let it go but this one is just stuck in my throat.
  • That one hit me hard too.  Had been following it (admittedly from a distance) in the hope we'd get another Chilian miner story.  Gutting.
  • It's horrid. I read it and wanted to cry.
    My boys are 5 and they're so ... Innocent.
    That poor boy
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Yeah I’ve been struggling with that too. Really awful.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've stayed away from that because I can imagine, and I don't want to.
  • I've stayed away from that because I can imagine, and I don't want to.

Same.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Loving Kirsty Allsop getting absolutely dragged as a result of her idiotic comments regarding young people buying houses.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • The version I saw (scan/photo from the paper) actually dragged her in the article itself which is quite impressive. Something like “… of course, it would take 37 years of foregoing Netflix, lattes and avocado toast to afford the average deposit …”
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That’s at the end of the Times article, sadly cut off by the paywall.

https://twitter.com/thhamilton/status/1490279178519945216
  • I really wished I had an avocado on toast.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    To be fair, that second paragraph in the Times article seems like a dig. This bit in particular:
    'Allsopp, 50, bought her first property with family help at the age of 21, when the average house price in the UK was about £51,000.'
  • Found the whole thing again, for laughs.

FK5TqxLXEAAwaXK.jpg
  • I can’t see the point of that piece, apart from generating outrage. A report that she said some things. Said them where? Why was she being interviewed? When?
  • She was doing an interview with her bald pal in the Home magazine section of the same newspaper.
  • The problem isn't really her maths it is the usual sweeping assumptions about how people spend their money and their lifestyles.

I crunched the numbers. A couple with a £25 per month (each) gym membership and buying a £3.50 (about the price of a medium coffee in Costa) coffee 5 days a week could save £10k in 5 years. (actually closer to £12k, £3k Gym, near £8k coffee)
    Enough for a 5% mortgage on a £200k property.

The assumptions are huge though. 
    Are they a couple? Are both working? Can they buy a £200k property in the area they both work?
    And most obviously, are they actually buying a £3.50 coffee every work day?

Then comes affordability checks. Unfortunately these are often based to some degree on average spending and not just your own. You can live like a monk and still get rejected or be offered much lower than you can afford, almost certainly lower than what you already pay in rent.
  • Do lenders still offer 95% mortgages? That clipping above mentions the average deposit for first-time buyers being £59k. Which is 25 years of saving by your sums, or thereabouts.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!