Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Apparently Ukraine is quite vast and hard to navigate so even without western backing it wouldn't be as straight forward as some think.

It's less than 100km from the Belarusian border to the centre of Kiev though, so not too difficult to get troops in quickly.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    The Western kids are in the playground shouting FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT, a crowd's gathered, and now Putin feels he has to flex to save face. Maybe push a geek down the grass bank.

Germany the sensible library girl trying to stop it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Putin has been building up military forces at the border, though. Not sure that western nations can be blamed for expecting a fight when he’s doing that.
  • Escape wrote:
    The Western kids are in the playground shouting FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT, a crowd's gathered, and now Putin feels he has to flex to save face. Maybe push a geek down the grass bank. Germany the sensible library girl trying to stop it.

Bullshit

NATO, US and others are hardly innocent protectors of freedom of course, but to say that this has somehow been forced upon Putin for understandable political reasons is verging on stalin-gulag-denying levels of self-kidding
  • A better playground analogy would be

There are two gangs in the playground, one which is certainly not doing as well as it was
    Putin, the leader of the gang which had declined so much, knows he needs to be a sneaky shit to get his way
    So he's been bullying in a less ostentatious way: shit has happened, everyone knows it was him, but he somehow stays out of trouble and continues to destabilise the rival gang
    Now he's got braver, no consequences for previous shenanigans, so he starts more overtly picking on smaller, more neutral targets as a proxy war
    The somewhat dim but powerful larger gang have responded with more force than Putin expected
    but back down now and he looks weak to his gang, he's over played his hand
    If the larger gang were good at this strategy shit rather than dumb brute force there'd be a way to let Putin slink back without losing too much face
    But they sense weakness and have called bluffs and here we are
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Ultimately, the EU still needs Russian gas. The UK less so, but if Putin goes into a huff and cuts the pipeline, what can NATO or the EU do?

FA really. So there are rumours about European states sourcing gas from America or the Middle East instead.
    In the best case scenario, that shit would be mad expensive. In the worse, I'm sure the Russians will aim to sabotage supplies coming from Qatar.

But why speculate?
    Perhaps this all ends diplomatically by the end of the working day.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I'd be curious to know how the Russian media are covering this
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Also turns out that the dude Belarus lifted off that RyanAir flight, was actually well connected to Ukraine's best organized defence force.
    Nazi's apparently, but supposedly well supplied.

I would only guess at who was supplying this facist army, intent on defending Ukraine from another Russian invasion...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'd be curious to know how the Russian media are covering this

No need to wonder.

https://www.rt.com/russia/547425-us-soldiers-ukraine-front/
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message

Probably as the big brother supporting a beleaguered ally.
  • Also turns out that the dude Belarus lifted off that RyanAir flight, was actually well connected to Ukraine's best organized defence force. Nazi's apparently, but supposed well supplied. I would only guess at who was supplying this facist army, intent on defending Ukraine from another Russian invasion...

hot sauce please
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    Also turns out that the dude Belarus lifted off that RyanAir flight, was actually well connected to Ukraine's best organized defence force. Nazi's apparently, but supposed well supplied. I would only guess at who was supplying this facist army, intent on defending Ukraine from another Russian invasion...
    hot sauce please
    While the exact nature of his involvement with Azov is difficult to know, Belarusian state media have seized upon it in an attempt to portray Mr Protasevich as an extremist.

From - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57229635

But if you follow the keywords around, there's a lot of murky water around his role and access.

Like I'd mentioned earlier, things took a crazy turn after he was arrested illegally in Belarus. Sanctions against Belarus for this, in hindsight, looks like they came with a huge risk. That leads me to think he was more important than Western media suggests.

At any rate, Azoz, until now at least, was the seen as key deterrent to a full invasion before.
    But I'm only drawing this from recent interest. There's going to be much more history out there on Azoz, and what they did in the first war.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message

Russia consider Ukraine to be part of Russia. They don't think of Ukraine as an ally, they think of it as lost territory.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Russia consider Ukraine to be part of Russia. They don't think of Ukraine as an ally, they think of it as lost territory.

No, no... I mean in defence of Belarus.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    Also turns out that the dude Belarus lifted off that RyanAir flight, was actually well connected to Ukraine's best organized defence force. Nazi's apparently, but supposed well supplied. I would only guess at who was supplying this facist army, intent on defending Ukraine from another Russian invasion...
    hot sauce please
    While the exact nature of his involvement with Azov is difficult to know, Belarusian state media have seized upon it in an attempt to portray Mr Protasevich as an extremist.

From - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57229635

But if you follow the keywords around, there's a lot of murky water around his role and access.

Like I'd mentioned earlier, things took a crazy turn after he was arrested illegally in Belarus. Sanctions against Belarus for this, in hindsight, looks like the came with a huge risk. That leads me to think he was more important than the Western media suggests.

At any rate, Azoz, until now at least, was the seen as key deterrent to a full invasion before.
    But I'm only drawing this from recent interest. There's going to be much more history out there on Azoz, and what they did in the first war.

You seem to be reading a lot into this. One guy isn't critical to national defence.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    No. But one man's information can be.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Any info he had is well out of date now. I'm not sure I understand what critical role he would have played, or how his information he may have had may be pivotal?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message

No, no... I mean in defence of Belarus.

So they would invade Ukraine to protect Belarus?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I'm just guessing* how Putin might spin the action for his people. 
    They would probably need to tell the Belarussian on the street the same thing.

And think about how the war in Iraq was sold to us... 
    It's almost customary for politicians to spin an offensive move, as a defensive one.

Despite Putin's carefully cultivated image, he'll still understand the value of describing things in these terms.
    In fact, even the Beeb tend to summarise his actions as a consequence of a fear of NATO.

Diplomatically speaking, Putin has never said "gimme Ukraine", the message tends to be "We agreed these countries won't join the EU, or NATO. We're worried about the consequences of their association with these organisations on our border control and defence policies."

That's not to say he doesn't want to invade. I'm sure he'd love to do it at as small a price possible (a puppet government like Belarus, probably). But the question was what he's telling his own mans.

* Dammit. I was speculating... Fuck.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    He's protecting Russia from an aggressive Ukraine, and an expansionist NATO. That's the way he's selling it as far as I'm aware. Not much mention of Belarus.
  • Aye, Putin’s stance has always been that NATO are the expantionist/invading force.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Any info he had is well out of date now. I'm not sure I understand what critical role he would have played, or how his information he may have had may be pivotal?

This, I have no real answer to. I'm just specu... Guessing.

I would wonder if he at least has a good idea about how and who was supplying Azoz, and what their objectives were.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    https://mobile.twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1486740087538917379

S-500 (or maybe s-400) anti aircraft missile systems being moved to the border. This weapon system is one of (but not the) the reasons the US isn't getting involved militarily. They make it almost impossible for the US to get air superiority, which they've had in every conflict since Vietnam iirc.
  • Those are AA missiles??  They're fucking huge.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yep, fucking massive. They might actually be S-300s, so not as much of a threat to US F-35s, but still a risk to anything older.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    Bullshit NATO, US and others are hardly innocent protectors of freedom of course, but to say that this has somehow been forced upon Putin for understandable political reasons

I didn't say forced upon or understandable anywhere, just that once their cocks were out and their gazes met, who'd be first to stop swinging. I like Germany's current approach.

Maybe Poots intended to invade, but let's hope the intel was wrong, he does nothing, and the other sabre-rattlers are shown up. I do think he's basically evil, but I also believe there's a fair amount of encouragement to ‘other’ Russia by Western design. Makes me cautious about apportioning blame, when we know for sure how dodgy our lot can be.

I think that's a separation that both political sides try to use to advantage. We deserve better leaders, is the most obvious take.
  • Ah fair enough I misunderstood your point then. Sorry for aggressive response.

Putin continually calling Western govs out for utter hypocrisy is always fun.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've just realised Lizz Truss is foreign secretary. We can all sleep soundly now knowing that that intellect and charisma is focused on resolving this delicate situation.
  • The question is, can she get an all-expenses holiday and spa day out of it? I bet she can.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Putin has the world on a string. I think it's hilarious. No-one will do anything about this.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!