Mass Effect Universe (Spoilers)
  • £53.99 on the X Box store with EA play discount and I have £15 of store credit.. fuck me I'm tempted..
    The Forum Herald™
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Do it!

Now I’m into the loop of planet hopping, being abusive to NPC’s and killing bad guys it’s great fun. I just don’t look at the mouths when they talk.
  • I kind of stumbled my way through the first one as a relative RPG newbie and mainlined the story. 2 was obviously more arcadey anyway and my private life left a lot of time to game so I got right into 2 did everything got the good ending and kept everyone alive. bought 3 and lost my original xbox live account as I couldn't remember the password and didn't have access to the original email address any more so never really played that.. I'm definitely down for another visit.
    The Forum Herald™
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I always thought Mass Effect 1 had the best core story but the side content was pretty bad even at the time and obviously the core gameplay needed, and got in 2 and 3, some improvement. It's a shame the side content couldn't be fleshed out for the remaster but I guess you'd be looking at a semi-remake at that point.

Yeah, I'm no fan of remakes but i'd imagine if one were every to happen, that's where a lot of focus would have to be on ME1. It's a shame as, story-wise, they're great. Corrupt corporations, black ops running fucked up experiments, power struggles in galactic gangs but, yeah, the actual delivery is...not good and will only feel worse with the passage of time.
    b0r1s wrote:
    I’m currently comparing my first play through of ME1 in 14 years versus my memory of Mass Effect 2 so it’s probably not a fair comparison but until I play 2 again, it stands. I’ve only played them all through once and I’m likely to only play this version through once again. And to be clear Cinty, I’m not saying ME1 is something to endure, I’m just looking forward more to the sequel. Who knows by the end of all three games, which will now be played more closely together, I may reappraise the games, as it stand ME2 has the best memories for me.

This is my bad - my post came right after yours so it looks like a direct reply to what you wrote. Truth be told, it was just me musing without a specific direction or person I was refering to. I've seen in this thread, in the past, the idea that ME1 is something you should get through in order to reach ME2 with your Shepard - well aware this wasn't something that you personally put forward.

I'm also aware that 2 has the best rep and I can see why - it's really tightly put together and was a big step up from 1 in so many ways. I was a big fan of the story and world content of 1 (and the lifts!), so i'm slightly less enamoured with 2 than most, but I can still see that 2 is just absolute fucking quality. It's very much the whoa where did this come from Uncharted 2 equivalent of the series. It also has the advantage of being less contentious than 3, so it's no wonder it's many peoples fave.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    No worries Pew-Bro, I'm enjoying it and doing all the Mako side quests, bouncing around planets, it's gonna be a great few months by the time I get to the end of all three.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Interestingly, it seems there's no next-gen apps for this because UE3 doesn't support next-gen consoles and the scripting language they used can't easily be ported to UE4 - so it seems this might be the last time we'll see these games outside of outright remakes.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Interestingly, it seems there's no next-gen apps for this because UE3 doesn't support next-gen consoles and the scripting language they used can't easily be ported to UE4 - so it seems this might be the last time we'll see these games outside of outright remakes.

the Xbox store claims it's optimised for series X/S
    The Forum Herald™
  • There are optimisations but they’re not native apps - they’re Xbox one / PS4 games that have some extra features when running on new gen hardware.
  • Im withcinty. I passed on this when i heard they weren't remaking at least bits of ME1, the game that most benefits from immersion improvements. ME3 shooting + sidemissions would have been grand. Failing that, without the Me3 coop MP there's nothing here for me to go back to. I already did a Me1, 2 and 3 consecutive run, same save, years ago.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • What difficulty level are people playing ME1 on at present? I've upped it to Hardcore so most grunts are my level and bosses are supposed to be tough, but I am still finding it too easy. The classic chokepoints are still there though - rescuing the blue woman from that planet with those jumpin' jack sniper Geth bastards anyone?

Tempted to up it again to Insanity, but am scared that the bosses become insurmountable bottlenecks that stop me enjoying the story?

And I know I could just dial the difficulty back down again for those boss encounters, but that would break one of my gaming rules: 'when you up the ante, there's no going back down to the way it was before'.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Mass effect has just dropped a 7GB patch and I was in the middle of a paused game the buggers. Better be worth it.

Edit - fixes the headset issue on Xbox and some improvements across all three titles.

https://www.ea.com/games/mass-effect/mass-effect-legendary-edition/news/update-5-17
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The patch I got was 15gb.
    Get schwifty.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’ve only installed ME1 so far. Maybe that? I’m on Xbox.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yeah, realised that after thoughtlessly posting.  I also have ME2 installed.
    Get schwifty.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I always thoughtlessly post :-D
  • 54 quid for a ten year old game wtf
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    54 quid for three fucking amazing games that have received substantial improvements.  Bargain.
    Get schwifty.
  • I'm waiting for a sale, tbh. More out of playing other things right now though. If I had nothing else in the go, I'd be all over it.
  • 54 quid for a ten year old game wtf

Remember the ribbing shadow of the Colossus got for losing its atmosphere with shiny new graphics.
    This just looks flat and boxy and I loved the originals.
    I also think the originals look better.

I think this needed a lot more work done on it tbh,
    But glad some folks are reliving there nostalgia pangs.
  • I'm waiting for a sale, tbh. More out of playing other things right now though. If I had nothing else in the go, I'd be all over it.

Hey I was a real arse with you the other day, no excuses from me just an apology.
    I'm sorry.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I posted a few pages ago about how I thought it looked worse, and I really think it does, particularly in the lighting. Was pretty much universally told by those who replied that it looked better. Ho hum.
  • digi wrote:
    I'm waiting for a sale, tbh. More out of playing other things right now though. If I had nothing else in the go, I'd be all over it.

Hey I was a real arse with you the other day, no excuses from me just an apology.
    I'm sorry.

Fair play, Davie. Firm handshakes.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    From what I can recall of the OG it does seem flat. It’s surprising really as they could have had volumetric lighting etc. I think they have gone for the numbers tbh. True 4K/60 etc. Would’ve been better with lower res and more effects.

But it’s fun to play loads quickly and the combat is serviceable if not great.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There was so much good use of shadow in the OG that is lost. It was such an atmospheric game
  • regmcfly wrote:
    There was so much good use of shadow in the OG that is lost. It was such an atmospheric game

Yeh there also seems to be a loss of atmosphere and the world's look less good as they are missing there pure orange sky's etc.
    (There more like earthy planets now unfortunately)
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I posted a few pages ago about how I thought it looked worse, and I really think it does, particularly in the lighting. Was pretty much universally told by those who replied that it looked better. Ho hum.
    It looks utterly atrocious. Absolute con in my opinion. I'm with reg

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Omg the gonz/reg dream team is back in action after like 13 years
  • I ruined it already with a cheap dig about you looking older than your years in t'other thread. Regret, thy name is Gonz
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    What we could have had

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!