Monster Hunter
  • regmcfly wrote:
    15 hours :'( pary

New dad. I'm shocked you managed that much
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I've watched the credits roll on the single player side of MHR. 35 hours on the clock, according to my Switch. Magnamalo went down first try with zero KOs. Have I got really good at MH or is MHR really easy? To compare, 3U had 600 hours ticked up before I had to call it quits, with the final quest yet to be done.

I dunno. I had a ton of fun, and MHR is gorgeous to look at. (Pretty sure the credits listed low double digit numbers of external animation companies, which I can fully believe.) I'm definitely going to keep playing, what with the multi-player, updates to come, and post-credits single player. I just miss the challenge. Even a bog standard Barroth took multiple attempts back in the days of Tri. And when I did succeed, I had minutes left on the clock. Magnamalo fell in under 20.

Oh, and I loved the way the credits feature an Ocarina of Time-style pan around the village. "Ah memories" says the game. "Remember this guy? What fun we had." I literally talked to them once between training quests. I laughed out loud during the final cutscene
    Spoiler:
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Done the Shara (lol at Water Mobility being endgame useful), now it's all the Guiding Lands stuff to see off.
  • Swirly, it seems the Village quests are pretty much just tutorial fights with the monster agro turned down and the health pools lower. Hub quests are where the challenge is at from what I understand, although maybe still not a crazy challenge for pros like yourself.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I hope you're right. But I'm mid-tier at best. ;)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • What's the best armour in this? Also, is it ever with switching out your buddies from the ones you get at the start? I've trained so many in the dojo but don't really see the point in using them?
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    I've watched the credits roll on the single player side of MHR. 35 hours on the clock, according to my Switch. Magnamalo went down first try with zero KOs. Have I got really good at MH or is MHR really easy? To compare, 3U had 600 hours ticked up before I had to call it quits, with the final quest yet to be done.

I dunno. I had a ton of fun, and MHR is gorgeous to look at. (Pretty sure the credits listed low double digit numbers of external animation companies, which I can fully believe.) I'm definitely going to keep playing, what with the multi-player, updates to come, and post-credits single player. I just miss the challenge. Even a bog standard Barroth took multiple attempts back in the days of Tri. And when I did succeed, I had minutes left on the clock. Magnamalo fell in under 20.

Oh, and I loved the way the credits feature an Ocarina of Time-style pan around the village. "Ah memories" says the game. "Remember this guy? What fun we had." I literally talked to them once between training quests. I laughed out loud during the final cutscene
    Spoiler:

The story is garbo and the village quests are piss weak, but the overall monster roster is really good and the Hub quests are also mostly really good, especially once you start getting into HR.

It ain’t G Rank, for sure, but there’s a few slightly tricky monsters at times. Wouldn’t call it hard, though. It’s deffo the easiest MoHan I’ve played when considering base game.
  • Above may sound over critical - I like Rise a lot, just to be clear.
  • I'm probably going to watch the movie at some point. Fuck help me.
  • Congrats Swirl, welcome to the big leagues. Village is super easy, plus you’ve got your experience from thousands of hours in other games.

Hub isn’t ultra difficult but it has challenges, and you’ve not even seen the whole roster yet. Wirebug evasion is the key to the flattening of the difficulty in places, but they’ve given a lot of the tougher monsters juggles to compensate.

I’d say it’s about as easy as World really in that most things won’t give you a headache, but if you’re going for quick clears and breaks on your monsters you’re still gonna end up in dicey situations. I think it was a canny move making the earlier stuff easier cos it lets folks mess around with more weapons, without feeling like the investment is too high for swapping early on.
  • What's the best armour in this? Also, is it ever with switching out your buddies from the ones you get at the start? I've trained so many in the dojo but don't really see the point in using them?

There's no such thing as "best armour" in Monster Hunter. All armour has skills attached to it, and different skills benefit different weapons/hunting styles. If you're a Great Sword user, you'll get loads of mileage out of Quick Sheath, Focus, Punishing/Crit Draw. If you play Gunlance, those are effectively useless, and you'll want Artillery, Load Shells, and Guard Up skills, as a rule of thumb. There's then scope to mess around with other things - pure attack/crit up, evasion window/extender if you prize mobility above all. Decorations and Talismans let you fit new skills and plug gaps in builds. 

Most early game builds focus on Attack Up>survivability, then in High Rank you'll figure what skills you need and build armour pieces to match that. My current end game Great Sword build only has two pieces from a matching set, four monsters across the whole set to get me the skills I like.

As for Palicoes and Palamutes. The dogs don't seem to bring huge differences with them, but cats come from various types, denoted by their icon, and they all have different skills from pools within that. I like my basic starter kitty, who dishes out the heals, but you can get better attacks, trappers who deal stun/element, all sorts of different things. You might find you want the chance for a big stun/partbreak/element inflict over healing, which is why you'd swap.

I think consensus amongst the "meta" players is that HR Rathalos Arms and Spio Waist are invaluable for 90% of damage kits cos they have Attack 2 and Weakness Exploit 2 respectively, but I only run the Spio Waist myself.
  • Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Same guy did a video against Chameleos, they shared about 40 abandoned attempts in a follow-up tweet.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Above may sound over critical - I like Rise a lot, just to be clear.

This. It's a good blend between the World style and older games, and despite the credits rolling very early, I can imagine spending a lot of time with this. Maybe not 3 Ultimate number of hours, but definitely more than I spent in World.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Above may sound over critical - I like Rise a lot, just to be clear.

This. It's a good blend between the World style and older games, and despite the credits rolling very early, I can imagine spending a lot of time with this. Maybe not 3 Ultimate number of hours, but definitely more than I spent in World.

When are you usually playing at the mo? Nina and I (and often shabby) are doing lunchtime (China time) hunts pretty much every weekday, and I often get some time in the evening. Would love to team up and hunt.
  • Boy is getting annoyed at the very first hunt. Some honey guzzling bear thing?

Can I co-op it with him? I’ll have to look up how to set up local co-op. 

I went through initial stages yesterday. Man, going through all those tutorials and stuff was so tedious but I guess it’s a must for a MH noob and given all the different things going on.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • If you're on separate Switches you can co-op, you just speak to the mailman palico in Kamura village.
  • This game gets better and better. Just hit HR 6 this morning and my new Hunting Horn is an absolute beast
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Cheers. I’ll co-op with him later. I can see he will probably want to co-op the whole game! As long as he enjoys it I guess.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    When are you usually playing at the mo? Nina and I (and often shabby) are doing lunchtime (China time) hunts pretty much every weekday, and I often get some time in the evening. Would love to team up and hunt.

Whenever really. All the schools in Taiwan have been shut down until next Friday, so I'm free as a bird at the moment. We might be doing online classes next week but nothing's been decided.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:

Whenever really. All the schools in Taiwan have been shut down until next Friday, so I'm free as a bird at the moment. We might be doing online classes next week but nothing's been decided.

Cool. Best bet is to keep an eye on the BnB discord. We usually hang out there in the MoHan channel and sort out MP. But, generally speaking times I play are usually lunchtime 12-1, evenings 10+, or weekends (pretty much any time) Beijing time with Nina and Shabby.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I honestly forgot about the BnB Discord. I have my own for the same purpose; just me and a few old hunting buddies from down the years.
  • There's a discord for this? How does one get involved?
  • Check your discord Wookie - just @‘ed you. Assuming that’s still the Discord ID you use, you should be able to find the channel easily. There’s people in it every day at the mo.
  • Wooo!! Let's HUNT
  • Looks like Denuvo has been removed from the PC version. Capcom in continuing to be reasonable shock - at least for MH and RE games.
  • Discovered how easy it is to host an online hunt. Started farming some bits and bobs and had 3 random OP japanese players jump in each hunt, lay a huge smackdown on the beasty and get me all mats in minutes! brilliant!
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I do like the request system in MHR. Gets you some randoms in, and then automatically boots them after you're done. Means you can always find a hunt but you don't have to worry about being saddled with an eejit. No fuss, no muss.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    I do like the request system in MHR. Gets you some randoms in, and then automatically boots them after you're done. Means you can always find a hunt but you don't have to worry about being saddled with an eejit. No fuss, no muss.

Exactly. Its brilliant

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!