Monster Hunter
  • The font on the 3ds really is spectacularly bad, almost unusable in 3d.

Speaking of 3d, there's an awful lot of menus that ovelap but are behind in depth, and all sorts of crappiness like that.

Still, it's the moment to moment that counts, and I've totally been settled in for the evening with guild quests, resource hunts, farming and dispatching my fishing fleet.

Still liking the Great Sword now i've given it more of a chance than i ever have, outside of demos and arena quests. Upgraded it a bit already

Have burnt through half of my 3ds battery, so still a few hours left in it yet
  • The font on the 3ds really is spectacularly bad, almost unusable in 3d

I have to admit I struggle to play any 3DS games with the 3D on, I just lose the effect far to quick with the slightest movement.  Apart from the odd cutscene it's pretty much off all the time.  My XL is really just a DS on 'roids.

Where is Reg? Has he died on the field?
  • ok, I really finally want to get into this. Have decided to get a 3ds XL tomo with a bunch of trade ins, and getting game to match CEX in london. gives me about £200 which will get me the bundle box if they have it (hopefully they have other bundles for it- with circle pad pro or something).

So, is the 3DSXL really totally dumb with the frankenstick? also, having enjoyed diablo more solo, is this game totally solo-able? Portable is much better suited to me these days, as long commutes and planning for wedding etc mean I dont have as much time to sit at my tv no more. I also hear MH4 is only confirmed for 3ds and has online, so hopefully that gets here by end of year anyway.
  • The font is terrible on 3DS.  Really silly design choice there.

Game is totally playable solo.  I went on-line maybe 20 times in total on the PSP versions (over 700 hours of play).  I played Tri on-line roughly about 50/50 and it's great fun.

So, solo is perfectly fine, but on-line with friends is good as well.

Ultimately, I want to be able to kill things solo so I'm happy playing off and on-line.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    cindemon wrote:
    The font on the 3ds really is spectacularly bad, almost unusable in 3d

I have to admit I struggle to play any 3DS games with the 3D on, I just lose the effect far to quick with the slightest movement.  Apart from the odd cutscene it's pretty much off all the time.  My XL is really just a DS on 'roids.

Where is Reg? Has he died on the field?

I'm here. Have had a spectacularly busy run up to the end of this term, so much so that my first real "session" will likely not be until tomorrow.

However, as of next week when I'm on holiday KERCHING - also mrs reg is not on holiday meaning sit in my pants and play this time.
  • Hovering over 'order' for this right now....

who'll hunt with me?

(Please)
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Me! I'm in for the long haul whether I like it or not. Got it on Wiiu and 3ds!
  • You're my reliable Internet friend, Reg :-) <3
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    The hunting horn has sounded! 

Had a quick dabble on this last night, seems to ease newcomers in alright. Definitely up for some casual online hunting sometime :D
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    WiiU has arrived. I'm ready for tomorrow
  • *Hears distant horn*

I awake to find the Amazon God has delivered.  Time to honour its name with a hunt.

Well maybe after a fresh coffee & shower, that was a long night shift with a double school run on the end of it & atm my eyes are on fire.  Hopefully get an hour or so under my belt before chaos gets home from school & I revert back to fathering it.

TIRED EXCITE!
  • They really missed an opportunity to utlise the squares on the inside of the 3DS box, luckily someone has made an insert for it
    http://tinycartridge.com/post/45924501730/monster-hunter-3-ultimate-insert-for-3ds-boxes#_=_

In other news I'm up to 5:52 gametime on my gamecard already, was pretty sure i didn't have that sort of free time ;-)
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    They really missed an opportunity to utlise the squares on the inside of the 3DS box, luckily someone has made an insert for it http://tinycartridge.com/post/45924501730/monster-hunter-3-ultimate-insert-for-3ds-boxes#_=_ In other news I'm up to 5:52 gametime on my gamecard already, was pretty sure i didn't have that sort of free time ;-)
    I think i'm gonna have to try get the 3DS version too, maximise my hunt time away from home.
  • http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/03/guide_transferring_your_monster_hunter_3_ultimate_save_data

Step by step "There & back again" MH style.  A guide for peeps with both flavours.
  • Anyone know how much the WiiU version is in Sainsburys ?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Just bought (ordered) this on WiiU.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    @ Reg - You need to accept my FR on Wii-U
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I will do. I'm piss drunk in a pub ATM
  • got meself a 3ds xl and this today, gotta say after all the, ahem, questionable staff I usually get in London's Game store, the gentleman who served me today was awesome. Big monster hunter fan who tried all he could to subtly guide me towards the wii u (as I've heard the 3ds version is clearly the worse of the two), and matched all my cex trades, and gave me a stonking deal, and didn't take up my entire lunch break doing so. paid about £12 after trading about 11 oldish ps3 games.

The game looks amazing. the controls are taking time to get used to, so might invest in the CPP next week. I much prefer the visuals in this compared to the psp freedom games, thought they were quite washed out and grey in that. This reminds me of FFX in it's sun and green fields, with al bhed gear and Wakka's village.

I love the long sword, is there any recommendations for new comers? should I focus on something that blocks instead?
  • Put around four hours in today on Wii U. So far, so good - although it's all rather familiar. I really dislike the farm/resource addition in Tri/Ultimate. Much prefer the streamlined and slick system from Portable 3rd. All that said, this will consume hundreds of hours and it's a delight to play MH on the big screen with sharp visuals. Looking forward to seeing the new content and taking it online.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Given the fact the messaging system on Wii-U is archaic at best, we need to find a simpler way of organising online lobbies amongst friends.

Suggestions?
  • CJB, longsword is a good weapon to begin with.  Rolling rather than evading is all you need!  Plus the only thing you need to consider in co-op is to not unleash your spirit blade when everyone's in on the monster.  Generally though, you can't be too much of a pain in the arse.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • ayns wrote:
    CJB, longsword is a good weapon to begin with.  Rolling rather than evading is all you need!  Plus the only thing you need to consider in co-op is to not unleash your spirit blade when everyone's in on the monster.  Generally though, you can't be too much of a pain in the arse.
    Thanks, am loving the longsword, the building combo meter is fun too. Also likeing the poking from afar then smacking their face into the dirt when they get close (you can tell im still pretty early on, i bet some big dragon dude doesnt even flinch).

Oh, is there friendly fire in this? Having no online and very few friends who play games means this will probably be a solo effort through and through. At least MH4 is confirmed online on 3ds.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Come on then Wii-U hunters. Whose playing today? Gimme a time and i'll set up a lobby. Not sure how the invite system works yet, but we'll figure a way.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Even though I only scratched the surface of the Wii original, I'm tempted by this. How is the gamepad/ pro controller combo setup or are you just using the gamepad?
    Things can only get better.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I'm using the Wii-U Pro + Gamepad.

It's all very slick - i chose the 'Dynamic' option which does away with almost all of the on-screen HUD, leaving all the important stuff on your Gamepad screen (which you can tailor to your preferences). Only hiccup with that option is that taking your eyes off the screen can be risky at times.

Don't forget this supports the standard Wii CC-Pro as well.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'll be on tonight
  • Should be on late tonight aswell, so if you see me on bang me an invite.

Played a bit of co-op with the boy yesterday & enjoyed it, probably more than he did.  Reason is he has a fair few hours of Tri under his belt & was rushing about & trying to be cool whilst his old man was just trotting around & smacking his av in the face with my bow from time to time rather than the monsters.  That said we did have a fair few Lols & omgs when other monsters decided to turn up when hunting our original prey.

I learned a fair bit yesterday.  I promise to do my best not to hit any of you.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Curtis wrote:
    I'm using the Wii-U Pro + Gamepad. It's all very slick - i chose the 'Dynamic' option which does away with almost all of the on-screen HUD, leaving all the important stuff on your Gamepad screen (which you can tailor to your preferences). Only hiccup with that option is that taking your eyes off the screen can be risky at times. Don't forget this supports the standard Wii CC-Pro as well.

Thanks for the info, couldn't resist - downloading off of the eShop. Justifying it as a late birthday present for myself.
    Things can only get better.
  • A few more Lvl 2 quest done & the level of intimidation that the game has thrown at my greenhorn ass has dropped a touch, its starting to click.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!