Monster Hunter
  • Right a fair few hours under the belt & I now own 2 full semi upgraded suits in Rathian & Lagiacrus flavours for fire & water protection & 4 bows, 3 of which bring fire, water & lighting pain.  Starting to get my head round the farm stuff as I have spent the last few chunks of time not playing online, but still a being a rookie in regards to the boat stuff.   The game has some crazy depth & even with all the hours banged in(to embaressed to write down) I still only feel that I have barely scratched the surface. 

Loving it, even with its constant carrot chasing moving the goal posts vibe.  Can anyone recommend a good published guide?  Bit of a ball ache doing on the fly researching on the phone.
  • Gamefaqs or Minegarde forums
  • Also:

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:MH3U

I caved big style yesterday.  No intention of getting it and came home with a WiiU MH bundle!
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Been having lots of solo switch axe fun thanks to the 3DS, thought I'd pick the bowgun for multiplayer but I haven't the foggiest what I'm doing... Went all tooled up with lots of different ammos but found I could only use a few of em!
  • I bought this on the 3DS. The will is strong but the flesh is weak.
  • Vastik wrote:
    Been having lots of solo switch axe fun thanks to the 3DS, thought I'd pick the bowgun for multiplayer but I haven't the foggiest what I'm doing... Went all tooled up with lots of different ammos but found I could only use a few of em!

Most bowguns only fire a few types of ammo so you'll need a range of them to cover off the different elements.  Rapid fire is something to look for as well as that fires multiple shots per one normal ammo.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Ah, I assumed you could use any old ammo!

Hmm, maybe I'll go hunting horn for multi...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm on level 3 quests and that Quoro thingie is proving a right cunt especially when it calls in a great Jaggi. Need halp.
  • When he gets mouthy, stun his head with a hammer.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • he took me a while too. realised I hadn't upgraded my Long sword at all, thinking it'd be a waste as I'll get a new sword soon... silly me.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I'm on level 3 quests and that Quoro thingie is proving a right cunt especially when it calls in a great Jaggi. Need halp.
    You're lucky if you're only getting a great Jaggi... First time I fought him he called in a massive flying dragon thing!
  • Ha ha.  I remember Rathian giving everyone a shock in Tri after being summoned.

Just wait until you get to the High Rank Red Qurupeco.  That git summons something far nastier and then keeps re-summoning it every time it leaves an area.
  • Cheers @mrsmr2 & @ayns.  Will check them out.

Did the Crimson Qurupeco today online, that had a nasty surprise as well.  First time I have died twice in one hunt online, almost gave up, but we got him on the third time of trying & I got the beak I needed.

Got me a full set of dragon armour today, now gotta grind some advance armor spheres......

....it never ends.
  • Now have a full set of Qurupeco armour and going back in for the Qurupeco Horn. Need a couple of Strange Beaks and I'll be set. My Rhenoplos gear is all set for Barroth but still working my way through the three-star quests and farming stuff. 18 hours on the clock.
  • I just beat a Great Jaggi with my trusty Bone Long Sword, then I made a Bone Gunlance because it is the daddy, and now I am sad because I just discarded my pickaxes whilst mining so had to abandon a quest, herp.
  • Now have a full set of Qurupeco armour and going back in for the Qurupeco Horn. Need a couple of Strange Beaks and I'll be set. My Rhenoplos gear is all set for Barroth but still working my way through the three-star quests and farming stuff. 18 hours on the clock.

18 hours & two sets of kit, this confirms I have been playing it like an absolute rookie.  *sobs*

On a brighter note, I fully understand this bad boy of a game now.  Though today's sesh of hunting/capturing Quru's ended with no fecking wing drops(6 bloody attempts) which irked me a tad.  Even more so when I went searching the webz to find that its a drop that must be broken off. FFS, research cindy, feckin must do more research before I go off on a MH shopping list.

I did a bit of online HR3 stuff yesterday.  Am I right in thinking, its no more hand holding?  As in no map, no dino steak, no extra kit goodies aka traps, bombs etc & hunt party all split up over the land with a just a get the feck on with it attitude & make sure you got the goods ya need before even signing up for one?

I like(proper hunting init, be prepared yadda ya), but it came as a shock to this nooblet first time off the bat.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I wanna do some online stuff. Really need help in getting armor sets together
  • I should be free over the weekend Reg, if you see me on, bang us a message.

Would be nice to see a B&B room with a key in those lobbies one day....
  • I also have a full set of Jaggi armour, Arzuros armour and Bnahabra armour. I have to make every set! Working on my Ludroth set now, but still need to smash Qurupeco's beak a few times to get two Strange Beak drops for the Qurupeco horn. I'm rockin' the bagpipes for sweet status buffs.

Edit: If I'm online, I'm definitely in for multiplayer if anyone needs a hand. I'm no expert but I'll at least be useful as monster bait!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Okay. I'll be on this weekend for sure, will keep an eye out for kilted and cindemon
  • Fingers crossed for my copy to turn up today from The Hut , at home ill some who will hopefully sleep lots
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • For drops, you'll want to look at the monster guides on gamefaqs/wiki.  These tell you the chances of a drop and what you need to do to increase the drop rate e.g. break a part, or capturing.  Quite often, capturing provides better rewards than killing a monster.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I've played loads online with others, but none of you lot. Sort it out!
  • I am in love with this on 3DS. 18 hours so far, hunting Qurupecosmfor feathers and scales with my Ludroth Switch axe. Is anything more satisfying than landing the axe uppercut, or the sword mode's burst attack? Yeah, a long sword spirit combo BLABLOW.
  • What game would this be closest to? Kind of like Demons Souls but with more monster killing? I've always been intrigued by the series and its popularity.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's like an MMO Dark Souls but single player
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Been playing this most of the day. Farming and grinding bits & bobs is strangely relaxing.

The inclusion of the Guild Card system is rather useful. The A.I. dopplegangers have come back with all sorts of goodies.  :)
  • regmcfly wrote:
    It's like an MMO Dark Souls but single player

The thing it reminds me most of is the Mark Hunts in FFXII, especially as you need to track them and stuff. It's tougher than Dark Souls in its own way too, healing and sharpening and regaining stamina all has to be done on the fly, it can prove tough.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Sharpening is a pain, also dat muscle flex after healing damn u
  • My copy from The Hut still hasn't turned up ! It was sent last Monday :-( . Mind you I can't really play till the update though. 

Anyone had problems with The Hut ?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!