Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t expect much from a Starmer government. What I would expect is:

A reduction in poverty.
    Investment in public services.
    Pay rises for NHS staff and teachers.

Those three things alone should improve the lives of the poorest and most vulnerable in society and is preferable to me to another five years of Conservative rule.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Well I hope you've all read Starmer's "essay" thing. It's a depressing read: not just from the wooly centrism it espouses, but the wooliness itself: an entire flock's worth of soundbites and aspirational phrases, not much better than the kind of saccharine slogan found in a suburban picture frame. No substance. No plans: "we'll fix inequality, by working hard". It's an indictment both of Starmer and his team, and the general electorate who've allowed themselves to be viewed as people who would accept this shite as meaningful. I had little faith remaining in Starmer as a worthy Laboue leader, now it has finally evaporated. Once his leadership election changes get voted against during the conference, I hope he resigns in shame, even though I'm well aware of the Labour narrative which will follow and probably torpedo any GE chances for another round.

He should have carved it into a stone.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I don’t expect much from a Starmer government. What I would expect is: A reduction in poverty. Investment in public services. Pay rises for NHS staff and teachers. Those three things alone should improve the lives of the poorest and most vulnerable in society and is preferable to me to another five years of Conservative rule.

agree
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Politics aside he just hasn’t got the balls needed to win arguments against the Tories in the media. Always dancing around to their tunes. Looks like he hasn’t got a clue what he’s doing or saying or what he thinks.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's a general fear in most to state a strong position for fear of losing support.

It's why the likes of Johnson slips into power.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I don’t expect much from a Starmer government.

I don’t expect a Starmer government.
  • Yossarian wrote:

A reduction in poverty.

Those three things alone should improve the lives of the poorest and most vulnerable in society and is preferable to me to another five years of Conservative rule.

I accept this point. My problem with it is this is what happened under Blair. Then we got Cameron and may and Johnson. I fear that “making things less bad than under the tories” is not good enough for sustainable long term structural change in the way the country is governed and the expectations for and outcomes of our population. It’s this central (lol) issue. If you are just “not as bad as tories” at dealing with inequality, poverty, inclusivity etc, then you are merely enabling a slower decline in quality of life. What’s needed is serious and significant change, and I’m not ready to give up on that possibility yet, so in short fuck starmer and his “not as bad” pish
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I don’t expect much from a Starmer government. What I would expect is: A reduction in poverty. Investment in public services. Pay rises for NHS staff and teachers. Those three things alone should improve the lives of the poorest and most vulnerable in society and is preferable to me to another five years of Conservative rule.

I think another 5 years of Tory rule might force Labour to reassess this centrist bullshit, while a Labour victory will no doubt vindicate all those who said this position on the political compass was the only way forward. 

nope. def not. fuck that completely. with this in mind I think I'd sooner vote Tory than Labour if I had to choose. Fortunately I don't.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I don’t expect much from a Starmer government.

I don’t expect a Starmer government.

He’s doing significantly better in the polls than Corbyn was doing at a similar point in his leadership and Corbyn cost May her majority. It won’t take a huge shift over the course of an election campaign for Starmer to be heading up a coalition government.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

A reduction in poverty.

I accept this point. My problem with it is this is what happened under Blair. Then we got Cameron and may and Johnson. I fear that “making things less bad than under the tories” is not good enough for sustainable long term structural change in the way the country is governed and the expectations for and outcomes of our population. It’s this central (lol) issue. If you are just “not as bad as tories” at dealing with inequality, poverty, inclusivity etc, then you are merely enabling a slower decline in quality of life. What’s needed is serious and significant change, and I’m not ready to give up on that possibility yet, so in short fuck starmer and his “not as bad” pish

I’m not willing to give up on it either, but at the next election, that won’t be an option, not a serious one anyway. I’ll take the least bad option any day of the week, particularly bearing in mind that doing so could have a significant positive impact on the lives of many in society.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58662455

Once I got over the anger of this smug prick I started to think about what he is saying.
    His statement really boils down to 'in the financial sector working from home is having a serious detriment on productivity'.
    OK, fine, he knows better than I do about the financial sector.

However it does rather fly in the face of a good number of studies that have found flexible working and work from home has not hurt productivity.

Could it be that the financial sector maybe has problems unique to itself or at least not reflected across the board?
    Maybe discipline problems? Or miserable work place pressures that can't be enforced without people leaning over their shoulders? I've certainly read of both those things being a problem in recent years.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Interesting point here about Labour’s potential paths to a GE win, which has recently seemed to often rest on the assumption that the route is through current non-voters:

Working on better graphics but striking pattern, especially important for any discussion of the next election that rests on Labour winning non-voters. At fixed levels of age and education non-voters are always less liberal than voters.

There’s a bit more in the (short) Twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/p_surridge/status/1440989181803745280
  • LivDiv wrote:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58662455 Once I got over the anger of this smug prick I started to think about what he is saying.

He’s not making a case really, is he? He just gives his opinion and doesn’t back it up with any evidence, not even anecdotal stuff or typical scenarios.

“His view is that a lot of people who ask for flexible working want to work part-time but on a full-time salary.”

‘His view’ means it’s not backed by evidence. ‘A lot of people’ means other people, you know, normal people, not high achieving hard workers like him, obviously.

“Mr Monk said the time it takes for firms to set up a stock market flotation has jumped from three months on average to six.”

This is the one and only piece of evidence Mr Monk puts forward. I’ll give him this one. but has he looked into why that is taking longer? Or has he jumped to some unfounded reckons? Because it reads a lot like the latter when he says things like “of course when things take longer, it means they cost more as well, because these people tend to charge by the hour.”
  • Yeah its an opinion over anything else.
    I'll take it as an expert opinion given his status in the field of financial services but you are right in that he hasn't provided actual evidence.
  • But his status in the field isn’t that impressive either. He runs a firm with around 20 staff. Not exactly Blackstone Group, is it?

The whole interview just seems to be Mr Monk bigging himself up as being really hard-working while everyone around him is an untrustworthy slacker. Maybe he should reflect on his leadership style if that’s the case.
  • I mean thats pretty much my conclusion as well.
    I've just extended it to the whole sector given things Ive read in the past.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    At the risk of over generalising, CEOs are more likely to be psychopathic work-a-holics. So they will see people as lazy and care little for their well-being.
  • It's almost like they're the last people you want steering the lives of others, ever.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Bless 'em.
  • The Grun feed has a run of opinions on Starmer's essay and I think this one is probably the most accurate.
    https://twitter.com/SophiaSleigh/status/1440986571264733189
    Methinks the intellectual chatterboxes are making the mistake of thinking Starmer’s essay is anything other than something for intellectuals to chat about
  • Time for Angela Raynor to take the reins then?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Why did Corbyn have to be such a beardy weirdy?
  • LivDiv wrote:
    The Grun feed has a run of opinions on Starmer's essay and I think this one is probably the most accurate.
    https://twitter.com/SophiaSleigh/status/1440986571264733189
    Methinks the intellectual chatterboxes are making the mistake of thinking Starmer’s essay is anything other than something for intellectuals to chat about

Yeah all us dumb metro people actually reading and trying to understand what our political leaders stand for, when it’s all meaningless innit oh we think we’re so clever for having opinions and shit but we don’t realise how disconnected we are from the true brit who only cares about his apples and pears and brexit and football

We certainly shouldn’t be looking at this document as any statement of real intent it’s just to shut us all up about how starmer stands for nothing by making us talk so much about what Labour stands for and fuck off with the “we’ve had enough of experts” variations please
  • Fucking “methinks” Jesus Twitter is such snotty garbage
  • Only in this fuckwitted country is being called an intellectual an insult (well, here and Cambodia back in the day I suppose)
  • Is she wrong though?
    Does the general public give a fuck about any of this?

I doubt it.
    They'll see the bickering and infighting but won't give two shits about the detail.
  • What is the purpose of this essay?
    Who is going to read it outside of journalists and the heavily politically involved?
  • Who here has or will read this essay?
    Be honest.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!