The British Politics Thread
  • I really dont agree, they should have something to back it up. This is making a public declaration of intent. I wouldnt expect them to have all the answers and maybe not a full plan but some solid info and an analyse of the breakdown of what impact it would have for employers.

As i said, it wouldnt be hard to give an example where moving the wage didnt damage the employing company. Otherwise why pick 15, why not 20 or 12? If the living wage is recommended at 12.30 why go for 15. What effect might it have on inflation etc. I'd fully expect them to lead with positive data of course, but they should have more than just a proposal
    SFV - reddave360
  • DrewMerson wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    I really dont agree, they should have something to back it up.

Why should they? Do you expect your employees to come to you with a proposition on how to increase your business’s profits to pay for the pay rise they’d like?

Id expect something explaining why they thought they should get a pay rise. I certainly wouldnt be sold on someone saying that they wanted a 33 percent increase because... reasons.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Im not sure what you mean and to be honest i dont think the two examples are equivilant. But as an alternative, if the floor manager came to me looking for an incentive proposal for the wait staff i would expect her to have it costed out to a certain degree - what the waiter will get, what they need to do sales wise and how we benefit. They wouldnt have to have everything cast iron but its the basics of the proposal.

To put it in another way, if you agreed for a plumber to do a job in your house and they said initially it would be 100, than they came to you and said they would actually need 150, would you not ask why the jump?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Instead of focussing on this silly conference argument / sabotage / motion whatever, isn’t it more interesting to look at fundamentally why a higher floor for earnings may be a good thing and how to mitigate for its impacts and what other things could be explored like fucking up the rentier class etc?
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Instead of focussing on this silly conference argument / sabotage / motion whatever, isn’t it more interesting to look at fundamentally why a higher floor for earnings may be a good thing and how to mitigate for its impacts and what other things could be explored like fucking up the rentier class etc?

Absolutely. Personnally dont care if this labour proposal has workings behind it or not (i think they should but whatever) but for those of you who do endorse the idea id like to see something and im guessing someone has workings or links to such a concept to show that despite the worries of someone like me that in fact it wont fuck up small business
    SFV - reddave360
  • It wasn't his proposal though, it was a Unite proposal. If he felt he couldn't in good concience argue against it, his position becomes untenable surely? It's also worth noting that as well as the minimum wage, he was also instructed to argue against the sick pay proposals, so it's not just about this £15 thing specifically.
    Yeah I suppose I don't really have an issue with the bloke who walked. Min wage clearly isn't something Starmer wants to even discuss at the moment. So it's not like he could have gone in there and started haggling. Probably given an order to close the whole thing down and that was as much as he could take.
  • Its such a weird loss when you put it like that. Starmer is like - you work hard you do okay. Then doesn’t want to either (presumably) gun for UBI or something that actually rewards working in a job.
  • They're watertreading professional dipshits, please ignore them. They are immune to scrutiny.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It’s worth remembering that there are 11.7m people living in poverty in this country, including 3.2m children, figures which are only likely to increase over the next few years of Tory rule.

Starmer’s not great by any means, but he doesn’t need to be particularly great to make a material difference to millions of lives. I don’t think that should be dismissed so quickly because it doesn’t go as far as some of us would like.
  • Thats a real thin string to cling onto.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Bollocks is it. Where’s the empathy for those people struggling to put food on the table? Parents going without food so their children can eat? You think this is a thin string for them?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    This level of comfort could surely be afforded on half a day of work.

Definitely a conversation we need. The only thing I really dream about is a detached 2-bed instead of the council 1-bed I don't like, but if I worked five times as much the treadmill'd just speed up.

When you lose council and benefits access, it's taking an ever-bigger jump to land on the other side where you reap rewards for your increased effort. We're maybe at the point where some people on benefits are as well off as people on £30k, where the only real difference is that the former feel shame and the latter burnout.

Specifically, he [Starmer] said Labour would boost arts and digital funding and offer better careers guidance to children – making work experience compulsory and teaching students about pensions, mortgages and contracts.

Education, education, and fuck free universities.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Bollocks is it. Where’s the empathy for those people struggling to put food on the table? Parents going without food so their children can eat? You think this is a thin string for them?
    No but the assumption hell actually make things better is hard to have faith in.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Why is it that hard to believe? Blair managed it, why wouldn’t Starmer?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Bye bye small business. Hello even more power to big business. That is not going to lead to a more equal society.

Once we've crippled the farmers and growers and forced them to sell their land to developers for overpriced, shit homes, we can get more money from those homeowners!

Yossarian wrote:

Blair brought in university fees and Starmer's on about compulsory work experience. We're simply further away from the boomer years Blair caught the tail end of.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    University fees are shit, no question, not defending that at all, and I have no truck with compulsory work experience, but Blair also reduced poverty, I would expect Starmer to do the same.

And let’s not forget that our current government is about to push a lot more people into poverty with the changes to universal credit and NI.
  • I think Yoss is certainly right that Starmer would improve things in at least some way for the worst off, by simple virtue of not being a Tory government.

He absolutely won't do anywhere near as much as he should do, but barring some kind of electoral miracle, your choice is Starmer's Labour or Johnsons Tories as the Government, and the worst off will be the least worst off under Labour.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    And let’s not forget that our current government is about to push a lot more people into poverty with the changes to universal credit and NI.

Let's also not forget that Labour brought in sanctions and Corbyn was the only leader who wanted to ban them.

Compulsory work experience is just fucking heinous.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Work experience was compulsory at my school, it was fine. Interesting, even.
  • I worry about where we would be with another 5 years of this current government.
    The country was in a shit state in 2015 under CamBourne but by every metric I can think of we are in the same or worse state now 5 years later. That isnt to say I want to go back to where we were in 2015 either.

I guess truck drivers are getting paid more. Anything else?
    Closer to the end times, the sweet blissful relief of global apocalypse. Thats something I suppose.
  • The notion Spammer is going to do a fucking thing about anything is a little hard to take srsly.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Work experience was compulsory at my school, it was fine. Interesting, even.

It's the normalisation of workfare. If it's optional and paid at adult rates it's fine.

Brooks wrote:
    The notion Spammer is going to do a fucking thing about anything is a little hard to take srsly.

It's the man who brings a kiddies' sand bucket to a sinking ship. And then makes someone else bail.
  • Yossarian wrote:

Look I see nothing from Starmer except a person conveyord into a leadership position with nothing. He just seems as pointless and reliant on vague shit as Johnson.

Hell get into Parliament in day one and see it’s a complete cock up and vow to fix the mess but not actually give any money to people.
  • I wasn't aware opting out of work experience was possible.
  • Specifically, he [Starmer] said Labour would boost arts and digital funding and offer better careers guidance to children – making work experience compulsory and teaching students about pensions, mortgages and contracts.

Every one of these things is fine. Good even.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    As an underperforming pupil I'd have been roadworking or labouring. Interesting. (I'd have said I was labouring with my dad who'd have covered for me, but that's not the point.)

When I left school at 14 with MH problems they made it more stressful to stay out, and I did think about going back and just dossing around again, but their combative treatment rubbed me up the wrong way and I dug in.

Starmer's playing to the National Service crowd with a gateway policy even the Tories lack, so of course it triggers the anti-authoritarian in me. It's no way to treat kids — as futurework commodities.

monkey wrote:
    How about the same amount of houses with all the Green New Deal money going into insulating them to increase their value?

Should be an independent policy, not something used to tickle greed creep. Besides, increasing house prices only benefits the buffered; rents go up.

Its such a weird loss when you put it like that. Starmer is like - you work hard you do okay. Then doesn’t want to either (presumably) gun for UBI or something that actually rewards working in a job.

More education! Dignity in work! Summat-summat-Tory HEIRTOOLS!

Look I see nothing from Starmer except a person conveyord into a leadership position with nothing. He just seems as pointless and reliant on vague shit as Johnson.

100%, but we'll suffer another five years of red Tories before some people recognise it.

Yossarian wrote:
    Where’s the empathy for those people struggling to put food on the table?

Empathy for people like me? I felt it in spades when we united behind Labour's last two manifestos. It's very centrist to use that line and then dismiss those same people when you disagree with their belief that Starmer's as bad for their futures as Johnson. We form the majority of those calling Starmer a shit!

Last two elections, every poor person I know voted for either Labour's manifesto because it was leftwing, or Tory because they wanted to leave the EU. All of us wanting a fairer shake in common.

If slightly better's enough, the Lib Dems.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!