Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I think the problem is that Corbyn won't bite until it's too late, if at all. I expect he'll want to run for one last term, leaving the ball in Starmer's court to placate him.

The thought of a chunk of Labour '17 voters not bothering in '24 is really disheartening. I understand you'd rather we vote Starmer than Johnson (gun-to-my-head I would), but it's such a lack of vision to not hope to force him into a coalition of leftwing influence. Else we're just looking at Diet Tory until 2029, where at least a Milibanding in '24 gets him replaced.

Labour's manifesto might even be semi-reasonable come the time, but the trust has gone. Starmer's u-turned on too much already. I and hundreds of thousands of others won't be campaigning for him.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    By the way, I think...

tedious and counterproductive leftwing gatekeeping

Is almost always a rightwing play.

These purity radicals wanting it exactly their own way: a considerate leftwing government in one of the richest countries, or nothing at all! There's no compromising with 'em!

There isn't, because nothing we're after is remotely unreasonable in the minds of anyone decent. If Kennedy were still leading the Dems he'd be labelled far-left now! I'd probably vote for him.

Compromising with the right won't halt our main parties' progress that way. Having said, Layla Moran's to the left of Starmer. But Dems gonna Dem, so they're going with Ser Davey. A man with the look of a haunted one-time gameshow host.
  • I assumed with all the new posts it was about the 11 parties the conservatives have held while we've all been in lockdown/restricted movement, but no... It's about Corbyn. Because of course.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • It's the usual late night Escape woe-is-me-athon.
  • Escape wrote:
    By the way, I think...

Except purity gatekeeping is a favoured tactic of the Brexit Ultras as well.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    By the way, I think...

Weird, because literally the only person who has ever tried it with me is you.
  • I think he means calling out the gate keeping.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    In that case, why is it a ‘ploy’? What sense is there in people putting others who may well support left wing candidates into boxes, being hostile towards them, making them feel unwelcome? Why shouldn’t that be called out as being counterproductive when it pretty clearly is?
  • A new left wing party is doomed to failure at national level. A Corbyn led one would return, at best, Corbyn. And he could do that without a party.

The only way one might succeed is to ignore national politics, and operate exclusively at local level building support potentially over decades.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I don't believe they have a clue how to properly delete emails. Pretty sure there will be a server side backup/log of emails for audit/record keeping purposes, as all emails sent via official govt accounts are official communications.
    I reckon so.

If they are using Office 365 with legal hold switched on , then deleting emails is a waste of time. Having on-prem email is becoming increasingly tedious.   Not sure if O365 is complaint with the required security levels.......but it seems WhatsApp is good enough for the PM...
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'm not sure how a left wing PR supporting party bully Labour into adopting PR.

It sounds like what UKIP did to the Cons in threatening their majority and bullying them into the Brexit ref.
    Except threatening a majority while demanding something that will end majority rule doesn't really work.

If Labour really are fully committed to FPTP then they are going to risk not getting a majority over agreeing to remove FPTP entirely.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I don't believe they have a clue how to properly delete emails. Pretty sure there will be a server side backup/log of emails for audit/record keeping purposes, as all emails sent via official govt accounts are official communications.

If they are using Office 365 with legal hold switched on , then deleting emails is a waste of time.

They almost certainly will be.
  • A new left wing party is doomed to failure at national level. A Corbyn led one would return, at best, Corbyn. And he could do that without a party.

The only way one might succeed is to ignore national politics, and operate exclusively at local level building support potentially over decades.

The party name is now critical for branding - you need that name to stand a chance . If that Dominic Grieve became toast because he wasn’t an official conservative anymore the chance that some unknown leftish party will make gains feels like a pipe dream. Even Change UK -every one of them is a famous politician and couldn’t do anything.

Also - there are precedents of left wing parties sweeping in from nowhere but they almost always need the country is literally bankrupt levels of cock up for them to come in.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    If they are using Office 365 with legal hold switched on , then deleting emails is a waste of time.
    They almost certainly will be.

If legal hold is on (I don't think it's on by default) then everything is logged and cannot be tampered with. Clue is in the name.

The e-discovery tool that MS provide for email searches is rather easy to use.
  • I think it's a subtler thing that accusing others of gatekeeping or accusing gatekeepers of being rightwing, which is not going to get anyone anywhere fast.

It's more that Yoss and Escape have two different objectives which are very hard to tie together, so that you have at least some overlapping goals and can work together.

Yoss objective: get rid of Tories at any cost, despite acknowledged compromises needed by voting for a centrist (ie: market forces based) party as the only viable opposition in a FPTP system.

Escape objective: bring in FPTP so that coalitions of left wing parties can actually gain some power and influence.

You can see that these things are extremely difficult to tie together - any tactic that Escape can come up with to achieve his goal will almost necessarily undermine Yoss' objective of getting rid of the Tories at any cost.

As for me, if anyones interested: I sympathise with both goals but err towards Escape's, even though it's 100% more fantastical than Yoss'. The reason for this: I think we have enough recent-ish history to show that centrist parties do not really move the dial in any meaningful manner in terms of the, shall we say, "general direction of travel" of the economy, unfairness, public services, inequality, regionalisation, and so on which should be the goals of any left wing voter, which Yoss (I'm sure) is. Sure Blairism packed loads of money into services, but also slammed open the door to privatisation via PPPs and PFIs which we're still paying off as tax payers. All the money was conditionally attached to severe "management-itis" and centralised power. Big ideas about education led to fees for university, which has hugely exacerbated inequality. And so on and so on. 

At worst, these policies despite seeming generous are so market-driven and capitalistic* that they undermine the concepts of fairness and equality fundamentally, and lead to a disenfranchised base who look elsewhere and internally for better solutions, and that's how we end up with Brexit and demagoguery and populism and unchecked executive power and ludicrous culture wars.

Do I place the blame for our current fucking mess at Blair and Brown's feet? and the horrific undermining of Corbyn? Not totally of course, but surely anyone can agree that you can draw some lines, however faint or dark they are.

And that really is the essence of the differences between Yoss and Escape. Yoss sees those lines, but thinks they are faint, and believes the "not great but better" policies of a centrist party is worth the compromise to get the undoubtedly more harmful tories out. Escape believes it's a sticking plaster over a gaping wound - which actually means, you're just saving up trouble. You get 5, maybe even 10 (unlikely!) years of Biden-style triangulating and failure, better than under Tories but you invite them back as soon as enough people have had enough with inequality continuing to grow, market-focussed public service reforms not leading to decidedly better conditions. So long term - Escape believe Starmer cause MORE harm than it's worth voting for them.

I'm not sure you can reconcile this dichotomy, it has certainly caused significant arguments in here

* Don't believe me? check out the recently released memos from Blair's early days. Move past the (frankly understandable, given the contexts and recent history of Tory sleaze being so high on the 1997 electoral agenda and recent ludicrous electoral losses by Labour under Kinnock) paranoia about electability and appearance to the electorate; and focus on Blair's What Is New Labour. Market forces are front and centre. Nothing about regulation. Everything about "opportunity" in the current capitalist paradigm. That's gone well for us hasn't it?
  • The party name is now critical for branding - you need that name to stand a chance . If that Dominic Grieve became toast because he wasn’t an official conservative anymore the chance that some unknown leftish party will make gains feels like a pipe dream. Even Change UK -every one of them is a famous politician and couldn’t do anything. Also - there are precedents of left wing parties sweeping in from nowhere but they almost always need the country is literally bankrupt levels of cock up for them to come in.

Or PR.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I still believe that Labour can be pushed on PR, in large part because it seems to me to be the most logical choice for them to remain in a position of actually being able to win power on a regular basis. That’s the big goal for me, get PR and the whole political landscape changes, and I think that the most likely way to get PR by far is through Labour.
  • The party name is now critical for branding - you need that name to stand a chance . If that Dominic Grieve became toast because he wasn’t an official conservative anymore the chance that some unknown leftish party will make gains feels like a pipe dream. Even Change UK -every one of them is a famous politician and couldn’t do anything. Also - there are precedents of left wing parties sweeping in from nowhere but they almost always need the country is literally bankrupt levels of cock up for them to come in.

Or PR.

Maybe. I remain unconvinced that PR will lead to anything that works well here.. We had a taste of it with the coalition and all it lead to was knifing and broken promises. Essentially manifestos will become at best a vague indications for plans of government as each part is then subject to some dirty horse trade because majorities will be unlikely except in the most ridiculous circumstance.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    How is any of that different to what we get under FPTP?
  • Do you mean that manifestos are meaningless? I think up until the last one the manifesto was an accurate reflection of a governments plans (and to a large part I think they still are. Maybe in such a context a moderating PR system would be better.

Still I think it’s easy see what the “left wing” parties would have to give up just to get a taste of any ability to do stuff. At which point the worries about purple labour will just become official.

I can’t see how anyone saw the Lib Dems giving up tuition fees promise can see any party properly holding their nerve on stuff that is in any way “extreme” which to me will literally be identical to the policies that are the most attractive and inspire voting from certain people.
  • I fucking hate British politics thread. It’s so easy to get sucked in again and again.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Manifestos are pretty much meaningless, I doubt that a single government has ever been elected that has implemented everything promised in a manifesto.

And the horse trading you’ve mentioned still happens, it just happens between different factions in the same party.

More than that, however, I, like millions of others, would have a vote that actually counted for something for the first time in my life. Plus, we would likely never see a Tory party hold a majority again.
  • The most likely route to PR in my mind is one where Labour are forming a coalition post-election and to do so they adopt PR under pressure both from the other coalition parties and internally.

For that to happen the Tories can't be able to form a government of any form. So constituencies need to have fewer parties splitting the non-Tory vote.
  • I'd not let the capitulation of the Lib Dems guide you on what is likely to happen under a non FPTP system.

If it teaches us anything it's that it almost destroyed them.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    The most likely route to PR in my mind is one where Labour are forming a coalition post-election and to do so they adopt PR under pressure both from the other coalition parties and internally. For that to happen the Tories can't be able to form a government of any form. So constituencies need to have fewer parties splitting the non-Tory vote.

There is historical precedent for this - the opportunity was there when the LibDems held the balance of power. Brown offered them PR parliamentary vote, I believe; but they rejected him for various reasons (Tories larger party; didn't want to be tarnished with stale New Labour brand; Brown insisted I believe in staying in control at least for a while and didn't hand out so many gifts (ministerial positions) to libdems as Cameron did, etc). This could of course happen again
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I fucking hate British politics thread. It’s so easy to get sucked in again and again.

Same here. I'm best staying away to be honest. I got into a Tennis match with Sparky over Corbyn which was a waste of both our time.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    The most likely route to PR in my mind is one where Labour are forming a coalition post-election and to do so they adopt PR under pressure both from the other coalition parties and internally. For that to happen the Tories can't be able to form a government of any form. So constituencies need to have fewer parties splitting the non-Tory vote.
    There is historical precedent for this - the opportunity was there when the LibDems held the balance of power. Brown offered them PR parliamentary vote, I believe; but they rejected him for various reasons (Tories larger party; didn't want to be tarnished with stale New Labour brand; Brown insisted I believe in staying in control at least for a while and didn't hand out so many gifts (ministerial positions) to libdems as Cameron did, etc). This could of course happen again
    I didnt actually know that, cheers.

Like you say could happen again. Different situation now.
  • I must stop getting angry and calling radio talk showsn
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!