The British Politics Thread
  • 12th March - trying to decide whether to introduce household quarantine, plan A disintegrating, Trump wants to bomb the Middle East that night, and the PM and the press office is occupied by Carrie Symonds who is going 'crackers' about a story in the Times about her dog.
  • He dropping f bombs lol
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • 14th March - plan A is fucked. The NHS is going to be "smashed in weeks." There is no plan B. Six weeks after the first case in the UK at this point.
  • "Matt Hancock should have been fired for 15-20 things including lying to people in meetings and publicly."
  • Loving the question to him about if he thought people should face corporate manslaughter charges since he's admitting they were wrong and knowingly didn't do enough.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Hancock is fucked here. Lied to everyone in a meeting that PPE was all sorted. Johnson and Cummings both went on sick, came back, PPE was fucked. Hancock said it was the treasury's fault for blocking purchase. Another lie.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Last Friday’s Have I Got News for You featuring Baroness Warsi saw Hancock get absolutely savaged. It was great.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hancock is a deer in car headlights. But he is no more useless than the rest of them - just happens to be there. Heh.

Could you imagine these clowns administrating a war? Fuck me.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Someone's got to go under the £350m bus.
  • "Any system that gives the electorate a choice between Jeremy Corbyn and Boris Johnson is one that has gone horribly wrong."
  • davyK wrote:
    Hancock is a deer in car headlights. But he is no more useless than the rest of them - just happens to be there. Heh. Could you imagine these clowns administrating a war? Fuck me.
    Lying behind closed doors in meetings to your colleagues is usually a big no no. Public lying is treated differently.
  • This is brilliant. Sat here with popcorn and a small window open on one screen whilst I work.

I hate Cummings but let's watch him try and burn the lot down
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Awesome bit of TV.
  • I'm enjoying this today
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I dunno guys. I kinda suspect this is the chapter where Cummings realises he’s nowhere near as important or powerful as he thinks he is. He can whistleblow all he likes, Johnson and his ilk are Teflon.
  • Yup. Whatever he says here will likely just be pissing in the wind.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    He’s claimed that he’s got evidence to back him up on some of this. That could potentially be damaging, depending on what it shows, but his word alone likely won’t do much.
  • He might take down someone like Hancock. There are plenty of comically inept ministers who could be sacraficed.
  • What would it take for an alternative, yet democratic, political system to be implemented... in practical terms?
  • He is laying out an extensive tool kit to take down Bohnson, Hancock, Raab, any number of civil servants, reform Whitehall, reform Party systems...

It will be up to the likes of the Murdoch press, major Tory donors or Tory in party groups to use them.
  • Love the BBC cutting away the exact moment Dom ours Laura K as the one person who he continued to speak to through all this. “THAT’S ALL WE HAVE TIME FOR ON BBC TWO FOLKS!”
  • LivDiv wrote:
    It will be up to the likes of the Murdoch press, major Tory donors or Tory in party groups to use them.

Hahahaha. Hahahaha. Haha. Yeah, that’s going to happen.

The only people who might use this to attack are Tory politicians who see an opportunity for their own advancement. Anyone who thinks they could be the next PM.
  • The press/donors might if they feel its time to move on from Johnson, or scapegoat to protect Johnson.

It will all be to further their own agenda of course.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    What would it take for an alternative, yet democratic, political system to be implemented... in practical terms?

is the question: what is an alternative, yet democratic, political system? The answer is proportional representation so that everybody's vote means something.

is the question: how can this be implemented in practical terms? The answer is never vote for Nick Clegg
  • Cummings, I think, has always been resentful that the way he can do anything relied on being joined to an idiot like Johnson.

These are the last grams of his power (unless gove gets in) and he’s using it to its max. But he’s probably seeing his own irrelevance in front of him and it kind of terryfies him (maybe).
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    What would it take for an alternative, yet democratic, political system to be implemented... in practical terms?

is the question: what is an alternative, yet democratic, political system? The answer is proportional representation so that everybody's vote means something.

is the question: how can this be implemented in practical terms? The answer is never vote for Nick Clegg

Kind of. The limited term issue, partisan civil service, career politicians etc.
  • Big Bald Dom: "It doesn't matter if you've got great people doing communications if the Prime Minister changes his mind ten times a day and then calls up the media and contradicts his own policy, day after day after day."
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    This Luke Evans guy is a waste of hot air.
  • The Director of Communications advised twice not to pick a fight with Rashford. The PM ignored him twice. And then ended up surrendering twice. Then everyone started blaming the communications.
  • Luke "lessons learned" Evans.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!