The British Politics Thread
  • monkey wrote:
    At some point people will be sick of the lies and sick of him. Might take a while though.

Thirty or forty years?
  • monkey wrote:
    At some point people will be sick of the lies and sick of him. Might take a while though.

They dont seem to though. Like the trump, the more he lies, the more support he seems to pull.

My main worry is that apart from the likes of Trump and Johnson being in power, it only encourages similar fuckers in other countries. And these pricks all seem to back each other. Trump backed Johnson. Orbán backed Trump and Netanyahu. Bolsonaro sent nice letters to Trump. Fucking on and on, its depressing.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    monkey wrote:

They dont seem to though. Like the trump, the more he lies, the more support he seems to pull.

Currently, it’s impossible to separate support for Johnson from the vaccine rollout. At the point that the pandemic starts to fade into memory, that’s when we’ll see how he actually does with the public.
    My main worry is that apart from the likes of Trump and Johnson being in power, it only encourages similar fuckers in other countries. And these pricks all seem to back each other. Trump backed Johnson. Orbán backed Trump and Netanyahu. Bolsonaro sent nice letters to Trump. Fucking on and on, its depressing.

That’s fair. He has pretty much torched the idea of honesty or integrity as a necessity in politics in the U.K.
  • All is well again. Great Britain is getting a great boat. That will impress the simple minded colonials.
  • So we can't really afford to give nurses a much earned payrise that they deserve, we can't really afford to fund the NHS properly. We have homelessness, people on the breadline, food bank usage through the roof, an economy in the toilet and people losing livelihoods left right and centre... But hey, we can find £200m for a FUCKING BOAT
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I like big boats and I cannot lie
  • Words cannot express the anger and contempt I have towards the "old boys club" who run our country
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I remember William Hague writing a piece about getting a new royal yacht.  Pure colonialist wank fantasy.
  • "It can host trade talks"

So can buildings.
  • Honestly I want out

So can buildings.

Buildings now empty because businesses lost everything
  • Its natural that people like Johnson will hark back to the ways of the Empire, they never left it.
  • He's a cunt of the highest order
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Boats and hoes!

So can buildings.
    If we host other countries on a boat they’ll be so blown away at how great our boat is, they’ll give us a better deal.

I’m joking. But I don’t think they are.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Apparantly we don't have enough fighter planes for the aircraft carrier we built. It cost something like £5bn.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • £200m is a lot of cash to keep Andrew in intentional waters.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I’ve got an update on the LTNs on my road. I’ll post a pic tomorrow or Tuesday.

In short
    They have admitted that it is causing an “issue” for the emergency services. So are removing the planters and bollards and replacing it with Anpr till the end of the consultation period. Gonna be a massive money maker as every sat nav still sends people down my road as if there is no LTN.

Then. Cunning Merton council. They say we can feedback online. They don’t give us a url. Just an area on their clusterfuck of a website. Me and others obviously go to find it and it’s not there.

If I was pushing an agenda like they are then this is exactly what I would do.

It’s not going to work though. I’m going to print my letter and when the URL does go live I’m going to print it off at work with an accompanying latter and post it to everyone on my road. Two can play that game.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Why would you not want less traffic on your road?
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The argument is that it means more traffic in the non-LTN places (even if less overall).  If you suddenly have traffic jams outside your house, and often poorer main-road houses getting more pollution, then it's not wholly unreasonable to be a bit aggrieved, and declaring NIMBYism is arguably unfair too.
  • Surely that's an objection to the how not the what
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I mean maybe? I'm not sure it's a meaningful distinction though cos there's not exactly a shopping list of competing LTN implementations.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    (I'm pro LTN fwiw, just relaying the objections I've heard)
  • Yeah I've heard the same. But I suspect the people who are complaining are just nimbies who won't come out and say it or admit it to thselves.

For me the first few weeks of lockdown 1, hardly a car in the street, kids and people reclaiming roads, was a life changing event. Since then, congestion has got way worse and not because of LTNs. It's because people are driving way more to get out.

When the pandemic's over, and public transport is undoubtedly safe, I want LTNs slapped all over the fucking place. I want that time back. It will work out better. There must be pain in the meantime. Better that than starvation and the eventual turning of our planet into Venus. It. must. Happen.

That and a million other things. Glass bottles for everything, no plastic on veg, no plastic on meat. Grab the veg, put it in your bag. Go to the butcher, get a cut of meat. Trade in your empty bottle for a full one. It was like that growing up for me. Fucking irrational shite consumerism, we're fucked because of it.

Fuck people's feelings. Also, go to your local school down the road, fuck off with your school run. Some kids spend less time outdoors than prison inmates. I was shocked at that stat
    7% or something.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I do basically agree.  But I can't say I don't have some sympathy for those who's lives are materially adversely affected having to hear their richer acquaintances chirp on about how great it is that little Johnny can now cycle to school.  e.g. an NHS nurse who has to drive from home to the hospital she works at, who's commute is now 20 mins longer cos of indirect route + extra traffic on artery road, and who also now has traffic constantly outside their front door.  Yes, it's for the greater good, but it must grate rather when none of the other things also for the greater good are happening.

i.e. it's not just "their feelings", it's their lived reality
  • ]
    nick_md wrote:
    Sweet, happy with that. Sorry again Sparks. I am also officially calling out Fossildog for shit tier xenophobia, what a cowardly piece of shit. Come in here with teenager level insults then do one. I don't have enough knowledge/time to counter but still want to point my finger and call the fucker out.

You don't have enough knowledge/time to counter. So you get all salty, rally the troops against something that you don't fully understand. Feelz over facts. Here is a crazy idea, why not take a bit of time to break down what I posted and let me know exactly where I am wrong? That would be the mature, adult thing to do? Easy to reeeeeeee against something, a bit harder to deconstruct it and treat this place like an actual forum where ideas are voiced and counter arguments are made without playing the man and not the ball.

You are clearly upset over what I posted, why not close your eyes and concentrate really, really, really hard, wipe the tear from your eye, blow your nose and try to identify where the bad man touched you?
  • Reeeeeeeeeturn of the Mack
  • When was that even from?

Has he been on pause all this time?
  • JonB wrote:
    When was that even from? Has he been on pause all this time?

4 months ago. During Indigogate.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!