Plastic Instruments
  • nick_md wrote:
    I saw a demo yesterday but no full game, any link?

It might have been a freeware demo online thing. I'll have a look later.
  • Crosspost from the Arcade thread:

Las Vegas Wardour St are getting Pop'n Music and Sound Voltext Booth pretty soon. Oh I hear they already have taiko and groove coaster too, if thems your things.

This is SDVX, not keen myself - looks all over the place and full of shite music tbh. I can put up with the latter in iidx as it's not trying to give me an embolism at the same time:

• Where was this arcade 5 years ago when all I had time for was ganja and iidx?

8th dan scraped.
  • Yes this thread is now my corner of achievements no one cares about, allow me innit.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Probably already been talked about, but there's been like LOADS of pages since I last ventured in here.

Harmonix announce collectible card/rhythm action game mash up (ha!) Dropmix.

It's mentioned in the news section of this month's EDGE. You buy packs of cards like any other CCG, except these cards are magic™, and have songs stored on them (I'm guessing NFC, like amiibo cards, but on steroids). You place the cards on a special board, which plays the music through an attached smart device with relevant app installed. Each card adds one instrument to the mash-up that's created on the fly, with the first card added setting the tempo. So you could have the drum pattern from a Skrillex song over layed with a bass line from Disturbed, all accompanied by vocals supplied by Jackson 5, etc. etc.

Only one game mode has been confirmed, a competitive battle scenario. Odds on more modes'll be added later, there'll be DLC up the arse, micropayments, all that glorious modern gaming guff.

No word as yet on how much the cards'll cost, but I'm guessing £lots.

DropMix_Board.png
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I really really like this but also £££££££
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I really really like this but also £££££££

Yeah, it's interesting, but it all boils down to "is the fun worth the cost?", and both are unknown quantities at the moment.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Gazing into my crystal ball, I see a really dedicated but small fan base, with the vast majority of gubbins sold being future carboot fodder.
  • Before being redonk expensive again.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Given enough time, anything can be valuable.
  • DJ Max coming to PS4 ~June.

Actually quite pumped for this. 140 odd songs. Looks crisp.

No official controller so basically as per PSP, dabbling with the notion of a hitbox or something, or any kind of custom controller.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hardcore.

Parappa -> this
    Space Invaders -> Futari or DDP Daifukatsu
    GB Tetris -> TGM3

These genres have moved on to be unrecognisable to the uninitiated.

It's a good thing but casuals are left in the dust. Sad face.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Seems odd that something like that wouldnt have its own controller, I guess it makes it a much bigger risk.
    Would a decent fightstick with enough buttons be appropriate?
    Or would you be better with a drum pad type thing?

No idea if you could hack it to work but I imagine a Korg NanoKontrol drum pad would be cool.
    31th3iXjwmL.jpg
  • DJ Max has always been a keyboard or ps pad game tbh, it started off on PC only via keyboard, then had several releases on PSP using dpad + face buttons. The one foray into official controller they did wasn't really embraced by fans as they're mega-used to small keyboard buttons: 

EqBgG95.jpg

It also looks strikingly similar in design to a certain Japanese rival, which I think they got in fair bit of trouble for: 

6M73U3v.jpg

I'm going to try my arcade stick out with it anyway. Drumpad would be a cool hack to get working.

davyK wrote:
    Hardcore. Parappa -> this Space Invaders -> Futari or DDP Daifukatsu GB Tetris -> TGM3 These genres have moved on to be unrecognisable to the uninitiated. It's a good thing but casuals are left in the dust. Sad face.

It's surprising how fast progression is when starting out tbh, a few hours play usually yields results in early sessions, but the skill ceiling is enormous at the other end of the curve and walls around the later game can take years to get over.

• Get on it lads, keyboard is legit, I need at least one forum mans.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    This is one genre of game I really wouldn't know where to start with respect to building skill.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Start at the start (appreciate that sounds condescending, don't mean to be).

This is some lvl 3 beginner play:

...even that he's playing on a pretty fast high-speed, but that's a different kettle of fish.

What I'm getting at is, this game starts of very easy, and the notes can move as slow as you want, although keep in mind that everyone has an ideal note-speed that is never the slowest.

Most player also move very fast through the first 7 to 9 difficulty levels, with the first major wall being the level 10s. The hardest part at the beginning is getting your brain the remember which button/finger equals which note. Once that's all in muscle memory, you speed ahead and clear things you never thought possible. It's a truly amazing feeling.

If you're interested in trying, or for anyone else who is, you can give it a try on any computer using this pretty damn great Flash emulator:

http://bbr.eucaly.net/bbr3rd/bbr3rd/x2.html

The first thing you want to do is figure out a key combination on your keyboard that lets you press 7 keys at the same time, or 5 keys if you're going for 5 key to start with.

Use this test - http://www.gigahype.com/nkey-rollover-test-page/

Just press keys and find a comfortable combination where you can press 5 or 7 keys (for 5 or 7 key mode).

Here's what I use when I play on my Sony Windows laptop:

OzGaKhd.png

Every keyboard is different, and if you have a mechanical keyboard you should be able to press whatever you want.

Once you have a key combination sorted, go to the bbr Flash game above and go to Settings, then in controls enter those keys for the 7 buttons. Make sure you map a button to Start and Select.

Then go to Free Mode and pick a song. When choosing a song, press whatever key you assigned to Start to bring up the options, press the 6th key (top right black key) and switch auto-scratch on because trying to scratch with keyboard settings is a nightmare.

Other than that, just start at level 1 and keep playing.

In the options menu you can alter things like high-speed (which should really be labelled 'scroll speed' and shouldn't be thought of as something which makes the game harder, playing too low a speed will actually make things more difficult for you), randomise the notes, easy life gauge, hard life etc etc). You can also switch on 5 key mode, as an easy introduction.

My recommendation, in options put:

auto-scratch
    5 key
    easy life gauge

..and start at level 1. You'd be amazed at how fast your fingers start taking over and you're just staring at the screen :)

Hopefully one of you mob gives it a try! It's definitely one of those games where people who don't play think it's mental but up until the very high tiers is actually very doable and even brain-switch-off enjoyable.
  • Hoh shit man, some people are just not human, 99.2% rate, 1 poor note:

• Everyone seen that rabbit rap game by Parappa and Gitaroo/Ouendan mans? Haven't seen anyone photoshop a big spliff into the frog fingers yet.
  • Yeah I'm very close to backing the kickstarter myself.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Everyone seen that rabbit rap game by Parappa and Gitaroo/Ouendan mans? Haven't seen anyone photoshop a big spliff into the frog fingers yet.

ye shall receive

jiuFu8e.png
  • Ayyyy, was crying out for it.
  • Been playing this the last few days:

Is called Beat Evo and plays similarly to Love Live / Glee, which is no bad thing. The play area is split into three, with notes travelling toward you from the horizon line. Centre lane notes tend to be holds or individual notes, out lanes have scratches and hold-move trail thingies. The music is all YG record label stuff, so K-Pop. Expect the likes of Big Bang, Psy and, err, them other lot.

Gameplay is decent so far, although after a few games on easy I ramped it up to expert and haven't failed anything yet (#humblebrag) so I don't know what staying power it has. Around 10 songs unlocked by default, I think more get unlocked as you do the Tour mode but yet to find out as that forces you to do easy/normal play.

Anyway, definitely worth a shot if you're so inclined. I can link the APK via PM for those that are interested.
  • Looks good but very hard. And the music...
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I linked an expert track mate, like all music games it starts pedestrian as fuck.

Music I cannae help with, but I have a low threshold for Asian music when presented in music game form.
  • At this point, trash Asian pop is well beyond critical to the true rhythm action experience. There must be mania.
  • Brooks wrote:
    There must be mania.

This must be intentional, no? It's like a mantra of my mid 30s game habits. There must. Be. Mania.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!