Nintendo Switch
  • Suck it down and pretend it’s what you wanted !
    The Forum Herald™
  • LivDiv wrote:
    The claim is also a bit of a double edged sword. First new game in 19 years of a popular franchise. Well that begs the question why.

The little developer commentary bit was good, it highlighted that they've tried to make Dread work twice before but felt they couldn't do it justice on the hardware. I'd rather a dev admit that than force something out half cocked. Considering how cool it was avoiding X in Fusion, I think Dread looks ace.

Nothing else really stood out (though WarioWare is always fun).
  • I have celebrated the slightly hotter than lukewarm E3 show by purchasing a discounted game on my wishlist.

Disc Room here I come.
  • Advance Wars made me do a sick.
  • Tempy wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    The claim is also a bit of a double edged sword. First new game in 19 years of a popular franchise. Well that begs the question why.

The little developer commentary bit was good, it highlighted that they've tried to make Dread work twice before but felt they couldn't do it justice on the hardware. I'd rather a dev admit that than force something out half cocked. Considering how cool it was avoiding X in Fusion, I think Dread looks ace.

Definitely agree that if they couldn't get this idea working they should leave it for later.
    However I feel Nintendo (and related studios) sometimes get bogged down with always making something unique with certain franchises while others they will barely change and churn out on the regular.

I guess it comes down to what sells but it wouldn't hurt to just release a Metroid or F Zero or Star Fox once in a while that is just the core gameplay that made them popular in the first place, even if just as smaller budget titles.
  • Yeah, I think Other M really soured them on giving out Metroid to other teams, they seemed happy with Mercury Steam though.
  • Forgot about Other M. What a stinker.
  • The problem is that fzero, metroid and starFox aren’t that popular. So what do they do, sell something that doesn’t sell for no reason?!
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:

Definitely agree that if they couldn't get this idea working they should leave it for later.
    However I feel Nintendo (and related studios) sometimes get bogged down with always making something unique with certain franchises while others they will barely change and churn out on the regular.

I guess it comes down to what sells but it wouldn't hurt to just release a Metroid or F Zero or Star Fox once in a while that is just the core gameplay that made them popular in the first place, even if just as smaller budget titles.

Definitely. Sometimes more of the same is all that is needed.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • The problem is that fzero, metroid and starFox aren’t that popular. So what do they do, sell something that doesn’t sell for no reason?!

Like LivDiv said, try it with a smaller budget.

Test the waters with a remake even, it worked with Metroid Samus Returns. F-Zero GX should be an easy one to do with added online play.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • That was a bit… err average.

No switch pro. Booo
    PSN - minkymu
  • Not too excited with Metroid. It’s Samus Returns running at 60fps, with slightly faster run speed, a slide, and a palette swap. Even has identical metallic sound effects as you shoot doors and objects (which don’t fit the game). Let’s hope they nail the atmosphere this time because Samus Returns had very little.

• To me that smacked of previous generations, where Nintendo had both a home console and a handheld.  The "big" teams wheeled out the "big" hitters for the home console in the first three years, who then began to look towards the next gen.  From year four onwards, Nintendo kept going, "yes this big game is coming, but hey!  look at these handheld games we have in the meantime!".

I think we'd be mad now to think that BoTW2 won't be coming out on the "next" Nintendo console.

x
  • A bit like breath of the average appearing on Wii U? Yeah they’ve got form.
    The Forum Herald™
  • To me that smacked of previous generations, where Nintendo had both a home console and a handheld.  The "big" teams wheeled out the "big" hitters for the home console in the first three years, who then began to look towards the next gen.  From year four onwards, Nintendo kept going, "yes this big game is coming, but hey!  look at these handheld games we have in the meantime!".

I think we'd be mad now to think that BoTW2 won't be coming out on the "next" Nintendo console.

x

Yeah sounds about right, which is a bit disappointing considering they only have one system to support now.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

x

Yeah it's got switch pro/2 + switch version written all over it. "Aiming for" 2022 sounds like add a year or so on.
  • My prediction is it'll come out on the base Switch but will sneakily melt an essential component whenever it hits 30fps. Nintendo will offer a repair for £180 or a replace with a Pro for £349 £305.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    And fuck Sony for pursuing the custom controller scam too, while I'm here.

What's this all about?

Just about everything is USB based now. Even Nintendo will allow you to use a randon USB controller on a Switch, but you can only use PS5 controllers on a PS5, with PS5 games.

Sony lets players use random USB pads on the PS5 for PS4 games though, so it's a soft lock.

It's a dirty little scam.

Actually worse than Nintendo and their £60-70 worth of defective hardware.

"I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Ah gotcha, that is a shame.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I was happy with the direct, prefer 2D Metroid over 3D and huge Wario Ware fan.  Add in Advance Wars and that’s more than I expected
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Advance Wars made me do a sick.

Seeing the OG art style next to the new one made me wish they hadn't changed it
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I expect I'll be on this soap box for a while, so apologies in advance.

Advance-Wars-1-2-Reboot-Camp-switches-to-Switch.jpg

That looks unnecessarily rough, right?  Like it's accidentally moved at least half a dozen squares into yikes territory.  Nintendo do have a history of sprucing things up between first trailers and launch (3D World and A Link Between Worlds both prettied themselves up substantially, iirc?), but I can't think of a grid battle strategy game that looks worse.  Into the Breach, Tiny Metal, Wargroove...each took a different approach to the visuals that worked far better than this does on first appearance.  Obviously plenty of people wanted them to announce this game (myself included), but did anyone watch that trailer and think yup, them's the gffx I wanted for an Advance Wars reboot?

Gonzo mentioned Dread looking like it was developed by an undergrad student but at least you can see what they're aiming for with that style (even though I don't like it either).  At the moment AW looks like a cheap knock-up for an April Fool's tease circa 2010.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    TBF, a disclaimer was stamped on the vid to indicate the game is a WIP.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I expect I'll be on this soap box for a while, so apologies in advance.

Advance-Wars-1-2-Reboot-Camp-switches-to-Switch.jpg

That looks unnecessarily rough, right?  Like it's accidentally moved at least half a dozen squares into yikes territory.  Nintendo do have a history of sprucing things up between first trailers and launch (3D World and A Link Between Worlds both prettied themselves up substantially, iirc?), but I can't think of a grid battle strategy game that looks worse.  Into the Breach, Tiny Metal, Wargroove...each took a different approach to the visuals that worked far better than this does on first appearance.  Obviously plenty of people wanted them to announce this game (myself included), but did anyone watch that trailer and think yup, them's the gffx I wanted for an Advance Wars reboot?

Gonzo mentioned Dread looking like it was developed by an undergrad student but at least you can see what they're aiming for with that style (even though I don't like it either).  At the moment AW looks like a cheap knock-up for an April Fool's tease circa 2010.

You mean Links Awakening? I hated that art style with a passion.

Original Advance Wars art style is perfect. This new look is horrible.
  • A step to demilitarise the look a bit for younger kids maybe? They look a bit more like toy pieces than the original.
  • TBF, a disclaimer was stamped on the vid to indicate the game is a WIP.
    True, but the vast majority of trailers for upcoming games have similar stamps and it's easier to say what you see than predict what it might look like in six months. 
    You mean Links Awakening? I hated that art style with a passion. Original Advance Wars art style is perfect. This new look is horrible.

It was ALBW that made a decent jump from first reveal to launch imo.  Plus it looked a lot better in the hand than in screenshots, as was often the case with 3DS games.  I quite liked the look of the LA remake, excluding the border smudge effect.
    nick_md wrote:
    A step to demilitarise the look a bit for younger kids maybe? They look a bit more like toy pieces than the original.
    Mayber, but the the TA for a modern AW would probably be old enough to be in the TA?
  • I quite liked the style of advance wars. it's a cartoony take on war, and everything looks like little plastic toys.
    And fuck Sony for pursuing the custom controller scam too, while I'm here.
    What's this all about?
    Just about everything is USB based now. Even Nintendo will allow you to use a randon USB controller on a Switch, but you can only use PS5 controllers on a PS5, with PS5 games. Sony lets players use random USB pads on the PS5 for PS4 games though, so it's a soft lock. It's a dirty little scam. Actually worse than Nintendo and their £60-70 worth of defective hardware.
    This isn't new to PS5 though.
    i'm sure it's been the same on all recent xbox and PS...you have to have an 'official' controller or it won't work.
    I wasn't aware Switch let you plug anything in, i'd say that's more the anomaly! :)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I don’t think Switch allows you plug in any controller either. I use the 8 bitdo adaptor to use a ds4 on the switch. It won’t work via a usb cable alone.
  • I liked the look of Metroid 5.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!