#Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I completed part two (of five) of The Prince of Everything and Nothing yesterday. It’s a cosmically-inflected retelling of the Brothers Grimm fairy tale Little Briar Rose. I’m feeling very good about this one.
    Get schwifty.
  • Oh, nice.

Did you do anything with your first novel yet?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Still mostly in a first draft state at the moment.  The reason I put it on hold: too damn big.  Some advice I took to heart, if you’re not yet published, is to focus on smaller, standalone pieces.  So for now I’m concentrating on shorter fiction.  I’m hoping to keep The Prince of Everything and Nothing down to a novella, but it’s going to be close.
    Get schwifty.
  • Ok, cool.Standalone is wise.

I've recently managed to get a bit more writing done recently after really struggling to put fingers to keyboard for any sort of extended time. Similarly focused on shorter stuff, though I've finished one thing about 2k words and am about 50% (rough idea) into another that is currently 3k.

Tempted to trunk the novel. It's become something of a millstone at 65k.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Oh, nice.

giphy.gif
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Well it’s good to hear you’re still writing here and there.
    Get schwifty.
  • You too! It's the consistency that's hard and something I've lost over the past few years. Had a nice boost recently which has given me the motivation I've needed to just Get Shit Finished again.

What age is you novella written for?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    There’s a few instances of fairly gruesome body horror in there, so I guess young adult and up, but it’s absolutely not targeted a YA.  It’s grim, complex, and has a very weird narrative structure, which is why I’m desperate to keep below seventy thousand words.
    Get schwifty.
  • Love a bit of body horror!
  • And the weird in general.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Now tell me about this ‘boost’.
    Get schwifty.
  • Oh, it was nothing big. Just got named by some random blogger on a list of their favourite portal stories, alongside an author I love.

But any little boost that gets me wanting to get stuck in more is massive!
  • Oops, wrong thread!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Oh, it was nothing big. Just got named by some random blogger on a list of their favourite portal stories, alongside an author I love.

But any little boost that gets me wanting to get stuck in more is massive!

What does portal story mean in this context? And do you have a link to yours??
  • After getting a few rejections for my novel I've kinda let it sit for a while. Not sure if I'll dive back in and start rewriting or move on to something else. However, after randomly reading a couple of books that were published by Unbound I decided to submit it to them. For anyone that hasn't come across Unbound it's a publisher that crowd funds the publication of books. So you submit to them and then they decide if they want to take it to the crowd funding stage. 

Not sure if it's any good but thought I'd give it a go anyway.

My screenwriting stuff is keeping me going a bit better. I've been pretty busy writing a TV script for BBC Drama that might or might not happen. I was also commissioned to write a family friendly rom-com in 6 weeks which proved to be quite the challenge. I have another movie which has been on the verge of production now for the last few years. It's currently going out to actors. We need someone fairly famous to say yes. So far a few fairly famous people have said no. So we'll see.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Good to hear you’re still getting work, Scout.  That Unbound thing sounds interesting.  You’ll have to let us know how you get on.
    Get schwifty.
  • @acemuzzy A portal story is, broadly, a story in which there a character finds a 'portal' to another world. Narnia is the most famous, I suppose. Alice in Wonderland would be one too. Neverwhere would fit the type, too. 

Original print version is here.

Audio version is here.

@Scout 

That's fantastic that you've had such great successes with screenwriting! Keep us informed. I'm still waiting for my casting call, for what it's worth. Have you looked into Inkshares? Not sure if that might be of interest.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Cheers Tiger. If it's a good read I may forgive your Diplomacy betrayals.
  • I've been totes honest, guv.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    A literal work of fiction
  • Thanks guys. And Tiger, no I've not heard of Inkshares. Looks interesting. Will look into it properly. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Perhaps unsurprisingly, Jacob Geller's latest about The Future of Writing About Games is a really good watch...

Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Any poets here?

There's a national competition around this time of year. I entered it a couple of years ago.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    Any poets here? There's a national competition around this time of year. I entered it a couple of years ago.

Hmm, might have a look.  Is it this one?  I'm not much of a poet, but happened to write one in a quiet moment the other day as I needed to get something out of my head, and it seemed a good way to do it.  Might see if it can be tidied up at all, and send it in...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah that's it.

I have found myself being compelled to write the odd one - dead relatives tend to kick it off but there's other events that prompt it.
  • Took me me just over a year to finally get this piece together, due to various stuff happening in the interim - editor moving jobs, guys being too busy with publishing/other commitments to actually interview, various places passing on it. Finally got greenlit late last year but had to keep kicking the can down the road until I finally ended up with a 13,000 word interview transcript which had to be wrestled into a coherent article - finally finished it, and have been given the OK to eventually share the rest of the interview. What a relief, a huge amount of work for the money, but worth every penny.

https://www.dicebreaker.com/games/lancer/interview/lancer-rpg-interview-future-roleplaying
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've had a few attempts at writing something about 2D shooters. It's a genre I am so enthusiastic about but yet is so misunderstood in my opinion. I haven't yet done it successfully but I have had a go..

http://www.cubed3.com/news/26558/1/insight-a-modern-2d-shooting-game-primer.html

Not a patch on something like @Tempy's polished piece - just that it reminded me of a latent desire I have to write about gaming that breaks out from time to time. It really needs a lot more work - but there it is for now. It was only picked up by that site because they probably were desperate for content. It was thrown together but I intend to go back to it and improve it at some point.
  • Don't sell yourself short man, I enjoyed reading that!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've not been in here for what feels like an age. Nice to see people smashing it.

Anybody interested in reading a second draft of a short story I've done that still needs a fair whallop of editing? Happy to email it over if so, ive sent it to Moot so far so no worries if not. My missus aint exactly the target audience.
  • I've not been in here for what feels like an age. Nice to see people smashing it.

Anybody interested in reading a second draft of a short story I've done that still needs a fair whallop of editing? Happy to email it over if so, ive sent it to Moot so far so no worries if not. My missus aint exactly the target audience.

I’d love to read it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!