The B&B Writers Thread
  • The cities one in particular is brilliant. Well done, would read more.

Thank you for being my biggest fan
  • Tempy wrote:
    I had two decent things published. First was a very wanky bit on MO: Astray, which I stick by! It's a lovely underdog. Second is a more grounded but sadly short piece on how city builders handle (or don't handle) narrative elements. I especially like this one.
    Two really good pieces there, and I have to say, the tenor of your prose is maturing very nicely.
    Keep up the good work Temps.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Thanks G, I really appreciate that.
  • Tempy wrote:
    The cities one in particular is brilliant. Well done, would read more.

Thank you for being my biggest fan

Yikes, I hope you don’t think I’m being over the top? It’s just I kinda think the least I can do for the published games writers on here is read their stuff, considering how and where the forum was birthed and how difficult the industry can be to break into for those of you constantly trying.

• Not at all! It's great that you have stuff to say about my work, when so few others do! It's better than posting it into the void. YOu can't get better as a writer without feedback, support and criticism. Or at least, I definitely can't.
  • Submitted a short story 30 months ago. It went past slush on day 1.

They just bought it (subject to edits and contract).

That's ridiculous, frankly, and I had to chase many times. The current editor only read the story last week. But I'm obviously delighted. Woo.

Maybe this is what will get me out of my 'write one short story a year' funk that is absolutely not conducive to getting better at this stuff.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Congrats, tiger!
    Get schwifty.
  • That's insane - but really pleased they've finally got round to taking it, brilliant stuff.

If it's any consolation your "one story a year" funk is better than my current "once in a blue moon".
  • Nice one Tiger!
  • Thanks all!

Will share once I know when it will be available, though given the timeframes so far it might be long after our sun has died.
  • What an insane timeframe. Congrats tiger. Can I ask what the publication is?
  • Galaxy's Edge Magazine.
  • Galaxy's Edge Magazine.
    Looks great. Congrats again.
  • Nice one Temps!
  • Funnily enough as a follow up to that piece from way back in March, here is my final ever freelance piece about video games: https://www.pcgamesn.com/terra-nil/ecocentric-city-builders
  • Submitted a short story 30 months ago. It went past slush on day 1. They just bought it (subject to edits and contract). ... That's ridiculous, frankly, and I had to chase many times. The current editor only read the story last week. But I'm obviously delighted. Woo. Maybe this is what will get me out of my 'write one short story a year' funk that is absolutely not conducive to getting better at this stuff.
    Well I received the contract. Signed the contract. Got paid.

They still haven't sent me any edits or published the damn thing! 

And I've largely done no writing at all since. I find myself at my most productive when writing in the morning and, uh, I have a job and 3 young kids. So that doesn't really happen. I think this may be partly down to wanting to crack on with The Novel and it's just too daunting. So I think I'm going to play with some shorter stuff and see if I can at least get a few stories to send out.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Gratifying to say the least!
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yeah well, congrats on getting paid at least. But I hope it gets published soon. That (I imagine) is the most gratifying part, after all.

I haven’t dared yet even submit something. If I’m hard sometimes on the things I read, I’m doubly so on my own work. Having said that, I’m working on a novella (I too have scaled back my ambitions) called Apricot Firefly, and if ever I had a good feeling about anything I’ve written, it’s this one.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    If it's any consolation your "one story a year" funk is better than my current "once in a blue moon".

Apart from in 2018, when there were two blue moons, so I assume you managed twice as many shirt stories as Tiger that year?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm trying to write poetry. Have written a few but it's hard not to stray into Birthday card territory - esp. when you start trying to rhyme instead of just matching the rhythm.

I become compelled to write something every so often. It's often when I am reminded of deceased relatives. Being autobiographical compels me too. But it's hard trying to convey feeling while being compact and not being hackneyed.

Then you read someone like Betjeman which is demoralising as he makes it look so easy. His style is particularly deceptive and high brows can be fooled into looking down their collective noses at it.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Give us a demo, davy. You know you want to. :)
    Get schwifty.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think showing poetry is likely the most embarrassing thing one can do. It can so easily be a twee train wreck.

Or pretentious hot air.

A thin line.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I did it a few years back on here. Something from my first novel, I think. It was something whimsical, so I wasn’t at all bothered about sharing it.
    Get schwifty.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    Apart from in 2018, when there were two blue moons, so I assume you managed twice as many shirt stories as Tiger that year?

It's true, I wrote an astonishingly large number of stories about shirts that year.  (Sorry, had to be done.)

But, yeah, I've not written much that I've put out into the world since 2018. I have done a few bits here and there for other people, as gifts, but I've not dared submit anything to anyone who wasn't guaranteed to be kind.  As I mentioned in the Reasons to Be Cheerful thread, I did write a kids book last year for a friend of the family. Whilst that sounds grand, I wrote the first chapter of it ages ago - in fact I owe all of you a big thank you, as I posted that chapter on here ages ago and some of you were kind enough to give feedback on it.  Looking through the feedback, much later, was in part what gave me the confidence to dust it off, and attempt to write the rest, so thank you.

(If anyone wants to listen to it, I can send a link, but I'm more comfortable with the critical appraisal of primary school kids...)

Having said that - Davy - you should post a poem. I'm genuinely grateful for the reception that was afforded to my slightly wonky kids story, and I'm sure anything you penned would be treated with equal care.
  • I've been scratching a living the past couple of years writing Hallmark style family-friendly rom-coms.
  • My freelance games writing is now earning me a living at Cyprus living cost standards, although nothing like what I'd need to come back to the UK.

Bit of a milestone today in that I finally got something published in Eurogamer:
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-01-27-the-rise-of-taiwans-indie-scene-and-why-it-deserves-our-attention
  • Scout wrote:
    I've been scratching a living the past couple of years writing Hallmark style family-friendly rom-coms.

Wow - anything we might have seen?
    JonB wrote:
    My freelance games writing is now earning me a living at Cyprus living cost standards, although nothing like what I'd need to come back to the UK. Bit of a milestone today in that I finally got something published in Eurogamer: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-01-27-the-rise-of-taiwans-indie-scene-and-why-it-deserves-our-attention

I can't read that from work, but looking forward to sitting down with a cup of tea and reading tonight.  Hopefully it's the first of many.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    Davy - you should post a poem. I'm genuinely grateful for the reception that was afforded to my slightly wonky kids story, and I'm sure anything you penned would be treated with equal care.
    Well..  A short one.

...removed...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!