The B&B Writers Thread
  • tin_robot wrote:
    Scout wrote:
    I've been scratching a living the past couple of years writing Hallmark style family-friendly rom-coms.
      Wow - anything we might have seen?
    JonB wrote:
    My freelance games writing is now earning me a living at Cyprus living cost standards, although nothing like what I'd need to come back to the UK. Bit of a milestone today in that I finally got something published in Eurogamer: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-01-27-the-rise-of-taiwans-indie-scene-and-why-it-deserves-our-attention
    I can't read that from work, but looking forward to sitting down with a cup of tea and reading tonight.  Hopefully it's the first of many.
    Certainly not. Unless you're keen on the type of romantic comedies Channel 5 might show at lunchtime. The one I'm working on at the moment is for a French broadcaster.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Edited: gone like magic
    Get schwifty.

• Scout wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    Scout wrote:
    I've been scratching a living the past couple of years writing Hallmark style family-friendly rom-coms.
      Wow - anything we might have seen?
    JonB wrote:
    My freelance games writing is now earning me a living at Cyprus living cost standards, although nothing like what I'd need to come back to the UK. Bit of a milestone today in that I finally got something published in Eurogamer: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2022-01-27-the-rise-of-taiwans-indie-scene-and-why-it-deserves-our-attention
    I can't read that from work, but looking forward to sitting down with a cup of tea and reading tonight.  Hopefully it's the first of many.
    Certainly not. Unless you're keen on the type of romantic comedies Channel 5 might show at lunchtime. The one I'm working on at the moment is for a French broadcaster.

You're right, definitely not my thing, though to be fair I've never tried, so who knows?  Is it fun to write, or does it feel like work?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I appreciate the positive comments.

I hated poetry as a kid. I used to moan when homework was to learn a poem. I'm very poor at rote learning. I have to understand something to remember it. Poetry can be very dense and can take time to unpack - that's what the fascination is with it now that I'm older. The economy and artistry really tick my boxes.

Reading poetry is only a recent thing with me. I visited Yeat's grave several years ago and picked up an anthology of his work and that might have been the seed. I read it a fair bit now - I'm gradually reading the big names like Larkin, Betjeman, Elliot, Cavanagh, Heaney etc. but I've discovered some unlikely poets.

Clive James' work at the end of his life is one discovery. Just didn't associate him with that type of thoughtfulness.

An interest in the arts has grown as I have aged. When I was young I was into the STEM side of things. Mathematics, science and later information tech. I have always liked writing - when I was a kid I loved creative writing and I always did well in English exams.

I arrogantly and ignorantly wrote art off as something done by people who weren't very bright. That's because I saw art (painting, drawing) as a means of just replicating reality. I enjoyed music but again didn't really consider musicians as intelligent people.

I have of course seen the light in recent years. The mathematics of music was probably the first thing that made me consider the arts as being just another way of perceiving the world - and mostly parts of the world that science cannot explain.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • @tin

Creatively it's not exactly what I want to be doing but I've got absolutely no complaints as it's paid writing work and I need all I can get. It's also fantastically refreshing in many ways compared to the 'proper' projects I've got on the go. I have 2 films in development at the moment. One of them has been on the go for 12 years (I shit you not) and the other for around 8 years. My main TV project has been in development at the BBC for a few years now. After an enormous amount of work over the last two years we got a 'maybe' yesterday. So it's back into the development cycle with that one.

Conversely with the rom-com stuff it's lightning fast. This new one I'm working on will take around 6 months from the point of commission then it goes straight into production. So it's a real breath of fresh air in that respect.
  • Scout wrote:
    @tin Creatively it's not exactly what I want to be doing but I've got absolutely no complaints as it's paid writing work and I need all I can get. It's also fantastically refreshing in many ways compared to the 'proper' projects I've got on the go. I have 2 films in development at the moment. One of them has been on the go for 12 years (I shit you not) and the other for around 8 years. My main TV project has been in development at the BBC for a few years now. After an enormous amount of work over the last two years we got a 'maybe' yesterday. So it's back into the development cycle with that one. Conversely with the rom-com stuff it's lightning fast. This new one I'm working on will take around 6 months from the point of commission then it goes straight into production. So it's a real breath of fresh air in that respect.

That's really interesting - thanks.  It sounds like a good way to keep honing your skills, and earning some money, whilst you pursue the stuff you're more passionate about.  (12 years...)
  • Hello people. My Grandad wrote a whole bunch of short stories in the late 80's/early 90's, but they've been out of print for nearly 20 years now. If you're around my age you may have read some, or used some of his textbooks. I would like to get them republished, but I'm not sure if they perhaps need some slight editing. They were written for Primary school ages, but maybe the language used it a bit outdated in places.

Could some of you give a read over a couple of the stories, and if any of you have kids see what they think of them?

Wondermouse and Other Stories is on the Internet Archive, and I'll post a couple of them from it below. If anyone can give some feedback it would be most appreciated.

Wondermouse

eXR3WuE.png

Ddh3kHL.png

lKgIQHs.png

FLo5Z5C.png

The Filthy Stranger

doT4nR4.png

Ag14us5.png
  • The mouse one is pretty bleak TBH, and feels like it's discouraging imagination, ambition and difference.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Conform or die
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Conform or die

A sentiment all children need to learn in their formative years.
    Get schwifty.
  • I think that's a distinctly uncharitable read - it's just as likely to be a rumination on the dangers of placing people onto a pedestal and deifying them as some messianic figure by virtue of them being different or in opposition to the status quo. 

This is how we got Aung San Suu Kyi. Can't believe Jon literally supports genocide.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    This just in…
    Jon literally supports genocide.
    Get schwifty.
  • I think that's a distinctly uncharitable read - it's just as likely to be a rumination on the dangers of placing people onto a pedestal and deifying them as some messianic figure by virtue of them being different or in opposition to the status quo.  This is how we got Aung San Suu Kyi. Can't believe Jon literally supports genocide.
    I mean, clearly it's an attack on radicalism, claiming movements for social change are always rudderless and mindlessly populist. It leaves no room for the possibility of a genuine mass organisation of rodents towards progressive ideals. I didn't have you down as a There Is No Alternative zealot, Mike. Is there nothing in your ideology between conformity and genocide?

Mice of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your cheese!
  • JonB wrote:
    Is there nothing in your ideology between conformity and genocide? Mice of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your cheese!

Of course there is. And, indeed, my reading of the text left greater room for that possibility. I did not argue that the status quo = good and difference = bad, merely that rejection of the status quo = / = good.

Still, let's not butt heads on this - I try to build bridges across the entire political spectrum (unlike those snowflake kids nowadays) so I'll look past your support of what happened in Myanmar. 

We all agree the innkeeper in the 2nd story is a tory, right?
  • I certainly hope no-one supports the genocide (ethnic cleansing) of the Rohnigyas, which Aung San Suu Kyi defended.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I certainly hope no-one supports the genocide (ethnic cleansing) of the Rohnigyas, which Aung San Suu Kyi defended.

I certainly don't, and if more people had read Wondermouse there would have been more like us, Elf.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Dante: Hey Bear & Badger forum, do you think these old children's stories need editing? Yes or no?

Bear & Badger forum: ɢᴇɴᴏᴄɪᴅᴇ
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    If Jon was French we'd call him Philippe Philoppe, such is his ability to u-turn
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I like the mouse sitting in an armchair.
  • I dropped a speaker cabinet on a mouse once by accident, and was fairly distressed about it.
  • Not as distressed as the mouse.
  • That kinda thing can sometimes be de-stressing too.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    When I was a teen we had a mini crisis with a mouse running about upstairs. My ears were ringing from my sisters' screams. My mother has a real phobia about them too.

Pops came upstairs and we went into the room it was last seen - sealed the door and started searching. Drew a blank and then I spied him atop the curtain. Right on the curtain rail looking at us.  First time I had seen one not running away - he looked Disney-esque. I started to say "How are we going to catch him" when out of my peripheral vision came a shovel that had been made in the shipyard where Pops worked and thus enthusiastically over-engineered with a large surface area. The steel from which it was made rang out like a tuning fork as it smacked the mouse and the surrounding woodwork. He dropped to the floor stone dead. Problem solved and removed with the same shovel. My Dad didn't utter a word during the entire exercise. Normality returned.
  • Surprised it didn't hear that coming. Must've had cheese in its ears.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :)

I felt really sorry for the wee mite. But he was causing chaos in the house.
  • Hello people. My Grandad wrote a whole bunch of short stories in the late 80's/early 90's, but they've been out of print for nearly 20 years now. If you're around my age you may have read some, or used some of his textbooks. I would like to get them republished, but I'm not sure if they perhaps need some slight editing. They were written for Primary school ages, but maybe the language used it a bit outdated in places.

Could some of you give a read over a couple of the stories, and if any of you have kids see what they think of them?

Wondermouse and Other Stories is on the Internet Archive, and I'll post a couple of them from it below. If anyone can give some feedback it would be most appreciated.

Wondermouse

eXR3WuE.png

Ddh3kHL.png

lKgIQHs.png

FLo5Z5C.png

The Filthy Stranger

doT4nR4.png

Ag14us5.png

I tried reading the rest on the archive - but I’m currently on holiday with a dodgy internet connection so…. Yeah, that didn’t work. Will try again when I’m home in a week or so.

I suppose the question is what sort of editing you think they need? From a pure language / grammar perspective I’m sure they’re fine. (Or at least better then mine.).

There’s an argument for editing to bring them more up to speed with modern sensibilities - as Jon has implied. But that may well destroy your Grandads original intent. (There are several ways to tweak Wondermouse to sound less like “change=death” and more “beware blindly following people just because they’re promising change” but you’d need to be very sure which message is the one your Grandad was going for, and whether he would welcome any changes anyway…)
  • Thanks for the sensible response tin.

Basically, the question is, is the wording a bit old fashioned/stuffy in places, and would that matter for modern kids? Would you replace for example "innkeeper"? Or is it fine as it is?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wondermouse could be a cautionary tale about demagogues.
  • I tried the app but viewing seems restricted to one or two pages.  Tilly reckons she'll read/review these if you can get me the full text.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I tried the app but viewing seems restricted to one or two pages.  Tilly reckons she'll read/review these if you can get me the full text.

You need to sign in to 'borrow' the book.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!