Holidays
  • Frosty wrote:
    Who's the guy on the left? I assume unlikely is taking the picture.

Unlikely is in his car in the background.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    With an unwrapped ham
  • regmcfly wrote:
    That's me
    That's a belter.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Well, this holiday’s just taken a turn. We were flying out from Naples this evening, so thought we’d head in early and try some authentic Neapolitan pizza before flying out to London.

Barely half an hour here and my partner’s wallet and passport were lifted out of her bag.

Currently sitting in an Ibis, hoping the police call because someone’s handed the passport in, but otherwise waiting for Monday for the embassy to reopen.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Oh no :-( :-(
  • Ah that sucks.  Naples does not have a good reputation.  I was slightly surprised when I read you were planning to spend the day there.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Well, this holiday’s just taken a turn. We were flying out from Naples this evening, so thought we’d head in early and try some authentic Neapolitan pizza before flying out to London. Barely half an hour here and my partner’s wallet and passport were lifted out of her bag. Currently sitting in an Ibis, hoping the police call because someone’s handed the passport in, but otherwise waiting for Monday for the embassy to reopen.

That does indeed suck.
  • Oooof! :(
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Oh shit, that's awful mate.
    Hope it gets resolved quickly
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That's an authentic Neapolitan experience alright
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Naples does not have a good reputation. 

We changed at the station as part of a Rome < > Pompeii day trip and decided to give the city a swerve having read similar on a number of sites.

Sorry to hear that Yoss, and hopefully a swift resolution.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Barely half an hour here and my partner’s wallet and passport were lifted out of her bag. Currently sitting in an Ibis, hoping the police call because someone’s handed the passport in, but otherwise waiting for Monday for the embassy to reopen.

Oh no, what a brick. Best of luck.
    Lost a debit card in Mexico once, and that was scary. Can't imagine losing a passport.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Hard luck there. I've been reading Roberto Saviano's book about Naples and I can safely say the only reason I'd go there is out of serious morbid curiosity. Sounds like a real kip. And Google street view backs that up.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I weirdly like the city despite this. Feels like the midway point between Paris and Cairo. Faded, scruffy, noisy and chaotic, but pretty energetic nonetheless. Food’s better than Cairo too.

Anyway, on to Rome tomorrow to deal with shit at the embassy. Sprung for a fairly fancy hotel to relax in, if all goes well, I’ll be back in London on Tuesday.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The food is supposed to be the best in Italy, but you probably have to get someone's granny to cook it for you.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The plan for lunch tomorrow is to queue for maybe an hour for a Michelin-starred pizza.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    The plan for lunch tomorrow is to queue for maybe an hour for a Michelin-starred pizza.

Fuck that, there'll be a better one round the corner for €8
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    This one’s only €7.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I weirdly like the city despite this. Feels like the midway point between Paris and Cairo. Faded, scruffy, noisy and chaotic, but pretty energetic nonetheless. Food’s better than Cairo too. Anyway, on to Rome tomorrow to deal with shit at the embassy. Sprung for a fairly fancy hotel to relax in, if all goes well, I’ll be back in London on Tuesday.

Glasgow of Italy. I love Naples but you need to be a bit careful I guess. Tbh I think you wre just unlucky. Hope things improve.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I think food in Italy can be hard. Best food is often in the worst looking places but that doesn't apply if you're veggie. If you eat meat then the best food often has no menu but what tourist risks that? 

Anywhere near a good market is usually sound if you have no clue what the food or prices are, and especially if it looks like a converted living room, which it is. 

If you ever just sit down and they start bring you stuff you're in for a treat. The wine will be ropey but the food will be amazing. The tendency is to worry and think it's a con but you'll rarely be charged much when there's no menu. You just eat the stuff they've cooked that day, half a bottle of local stuff and 15 euros a head.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    This one’s only €7.

Ah, okay. Being Micheline starred I expected it to cost a fortune.

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

Da Michele's?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yeah, although it turned out today that, despite what Google claims, it’s shut until 4:30pm on a Sunday.

Bit gutted, that was the number one thing I wanted to do in Italy.
  • Just say that what you did and that, though great, you’ve actually had better in London. You’ll sound wise then. Cultured.
  • I'm in Devon. It's not so warm here, Woolie would love it.

I am testing positive for COVID still.

There's nowt but pasties to eat here. You can't even get Dishoom on deliveroo
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Just saw that pic of Tin & Unlikely. Mildly disappointed Unlikely's not actually a ringmaster in blackface.
  • Just saw that pic of Tin & Unlikely. Mildly disappointed Unlikely's not actually a ringmaster in blackface.
    Unlikely is also an absolutely lovely chap and an absolute gentleman.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm in Devon. It's not so warm here, Woolie would love it.

I am testing positive for COVID still.

There's nowt but pasties to eat here. You can't even get Dishoom on deliveroo

How long are you in Devon for mate?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Yeah, although it turned out today that, despite what Google claims, it’s shut until 4:30pm on a Sunday. Bit gutted, that was the number one thing I wanted to do in Italy.

If it's any consolation, the one in Baker Street is awesome. Soho, a little less so.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!