And what do you do? including linkedin if you like..
  • I am a 3D generalist and Motion graphic artist.  Sometimes this job is exciting... other times, boring as dick. It really depends on the movie I am making. The two I currently am on are a 2D After Effects based movie set in the 1940's... but a vision of the future (think Jetsons?) and a 3D animation for a box company lols.  One is more interesting than the other.

<--- this showreel will give you a rough idea of what I do.
    XBOX: Kurt Russel
    PS3: Air_Hair_Lair
  • You finally got your showreel done :D
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Nice.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • You finally got your showreel done :D
    Yeah did it a few weeks ago broski.  I had an interview on Tuesday for the guys who do all the Sky TV idents.  Got into the last 2 candidates, then they bust out a test they wanted me to do (6hours work) for tomorrow... Fifth are sending me to Brazil for 2 weeks this weekend for one of their shit photoshoots, so I had to turn it down and basically say (in more flowery words) if the other guy is shit, and the position is available I'll do it the weekend I return.  I'm already working evenings as it is!

It's a shame as it was a good opportunity, but that's the 1st time I've interviewed in 5 years... I am sure there is other work out there :P  I've so far ignored the agent that set it all ups calls today, what a Diva!
  • Should have thrown a sicky mate, fuck Fifth and their bender shoot.

Nice to see they still haven't rolled out the website that was an absolute priority when redundancies were announced 6 months ago.

Yeah you will do alright mate, didn't take me long to find anything.
  • I got so much to do for tomorrow here at Fifth, throwing a sicky would have just been the same as punchign myself in the cock :( Nevermind, when I am back I can look around a bit more seriously :)
  • Facewon wrote:
    Someone talk to me about how to use Linkedin. I have done that thing where you sign up to a network and then not touch it. ('sup, google+) It seems like it should be a good thing to be on. I've even added some of you. I've barely had time to scratch my arse since signing up though. Tell me stories of dos and don'ts and also tell me if it's actually gotten any of you anything.

Just seen this. I think I did a pretty indepth review on how to use it either in this thread or the work pros and cons thread. Try googling linkedin with B&B and look for my posts. 

If you want some very indepth training then let me know. I use it daily for work now and have a premium account etc. All of it really depends on what you want to use it for and get out of it.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Right, so I've joined this linkedIn thing, now do I have to collect connections or something?
  • Add me. I'm awesome
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • mk64 wrote:
    Someone talk to me about how to use Linkedin. I have done that thing where you sign up to a network and then not touch it. ('sup, google+) It seems like it should be a good thing to be on. I've even added some of you. I've barely had time to scratch my arse since signing up though. Tell me stories of dos and don'ts and also tell me if it's actually gotten any of you anything.
    Just seen this. I think I did a pretty indepth review on how to use it either in this thread or the work pros and cons thread. Try googling linkedin with B&B and look for my posts.  If you want some very indepth training then let me know. I use it daily for work now and have a premium account etc. All of it really depends on what you want to use it for and get out of it.

Wish I could bookmark this. Because I think all the plans I have are already coming to fruition. Looks like there is a (paid FT) role doing exactly what I want where I'm volunteering and it's up in July. Fingers crossed. Still, would like to see what comes of linkedin down the track. The basketball goals are moving forward using more old fashioned networking, as it were, but still. I'll use anything that helps.

Anyhoo, cheers.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Nice showreel chap above! I've just finished a personal animation project thats taken up most of my free time over the last two months, just waiting for approval on it but hopefully it will be worth the time and effort.

I've been working as a motion graphic artist for a year today and really happy with the way its worked out. i'm employed by a creative agency for 3 days a week which is my regular source of income and my own freelance work makes up the rest of my working week. I did one job for free last May that has just snowballed into all kinds of awesome work.

Paid work comes first, but I definitely will be updating the showreel over the summer.
  • Thanks :)  It's hard to find time doing showreels amongst paid work and procratination I admit :P
  • Apologies if this is a bit spammy, feel free to delete if it breaks the rules.

We are currently recruiting tech people at Future and I thought I'd throw this in here to see if anyone is interested I'm not entirely sure what the role comprises as I'm an art guy and not techy at all but if any of this sounds like something you do drop me a PM and I'll forward you more information. 
    We are looking for six Systems Developers in Bath and want you to tell us about any ex-colleagues or friends you know who have the following skills, and may be interested in joining this talented team.

We are looking for:

PHP experts who can write optimised object-oriented code
    Know their web stack from JavaScript back to the database/NoSQL
    Can make web sites/applications beautiful
    A proven record on successfully delivering web services and/or web applications
  • Just a matter of the timing being right as far as this new job goes.
  • Just finished a 45 minute first telephone interview for a job in the city (was only supposed to be 15 minutes). Good start to a Friday, fingers crossed.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Just a matter of the timing being right as far as this new job goes.

Everyone cross fingers for me.

Things have moved faster than expected and new FT job could be happening as early as late next month!!!

Perfect timing.
  • Just finished a 45 minute first telephone interview for a job in the city (was only supposed to be 15 minutes). Good start to a Friday, fingers crossed.
    Good luck. Doing what?
  • Good luck mate. Hope it goes well for you.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Fingers crossed Face. Which made typing this tricky.
  • lskghafgjghrjhrg
  • Facewon wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    Just a matter of the timing being right as far as this new job goes.
    Everyone cross fingers for me. Things have moved faster than expected and new FT job could be happening as early as late next month!!! Perfect timing.

Go Face! Fingers crossed and good luck!
    WorKid wrote:
    Good luck. Doing what?

Audit/Risk Management/Being a bastard!
  • Sounds like Deloitte to me.
  • Funny going for a job trying to help people find jobs, because obviously the way I go through the process is part of the test. Double and triple checking my resume, and about to embark on a stressful weekend writing a killer cover letter.

Also, will be my first panel interview. 3 people. yikes.

I'm interviewing other job seekers today as part of my training/try out/volunteering. Should be fun.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Also, will be my first panel interview. 3 people. yikes.

Just imagine them in their underwear. Unless they're Jabbas, then don't.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • So I've been pretty happy working for the same organisation for close to 10 years now. Given that depth of tenure I've kind of let some of the more modern approaches to networking pass me by, LinkedIn being the prime example. 

Some things are happening at work currently that are giving me cause to have a look at my options externally. So it strikes me as a good idea to get on LinkedIn. 

My question is how best to go about this. If I suddenly appear linking with my colleagues and acquaintances, won't that look a bit suspicious? I don't want to burn any bridges at the current place. Are there ways of more smoothly establishing a presence? 

Many thanks.
  • Nah, so many people are on there now that it is a common thing to have. I wouldn't worry.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Plenty of people use it just for networking.
  • Given the sudden upswing in emails I'm being included in, even as a volunteer, I shall be very surprised if this job isn't on the cards. 

Things are too hectic, and they still haven't put up the vacancy and job description yet, but it's all moving forward.

Looks like I'm gonna be in a bit more of a managerial role with Longhorns too. And I'm in on the debrief of the Sth Sudanese basketball tourney. Hoping to get more hands on with the end of year event, which is at the same venue. Lual Deng is hopefully gonna give it some financial backing, which should make things run a heck of a lot more smoothly.
  • Recommendations work really well on linkedin. 

We should all be writing fake recommendations for eachother to enhance our profiles for potential clients/recruiters etc
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!