And what do you do? including linkedin if you like..
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    fhsQVfK.png

where do I sign?
  • Nigel Clough would be more entertaining.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    ToArx8S.png
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Does anyone have any experience of BNI?

http://www.bni.co.uk/

I want to get the bushiness face/name out there, and I'd prefer to do that over throwing an ad in the paper/Google. As much for the social interaction as anything else.

I went to a meeting yesterday morning and it's all very positive on the surface and I like the way they structure things. On the downside it's 600 bones for a years membership (plus a tenner per week meeting fees). The money isn't so much of an issue, one job would cover that, it's just it comes across as a bit..well..cultish. It's clearly very American and there's obviously some very powerful psychology at play, and that always makes me a bit nervous.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Not BNI but we joined the local chamber of commerce can't remember the fees and was mostly breakfasts and lunches. We gave it up as we started going to co-working days like Jelly. You must have a Jelly where you are? Just working from somewhere else for free, with others can direct a lot of traffic and you can make a lot of contacts.

We have quite a strong network in liverpool but surely you've got something similar or better.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I don't mean working for free, I mean where you are hotdesking/co-working is free.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    There is a co-location thing somewhere round here, I've got a leaflet for it somewhere. The chamber of commerce was recommended to me as well, and something called Mussel Club. (not Muscle Club, as it turns out).

I do like the idea of BNI though, the emphasis on referrals and one trade per chapter rule (chapter lol) is -seemingly- a good thing.

Well I guess if people haven't heard horror stories or that it's just a scam, then I'll go ahead. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Sounds like a reined in Freemason's church.

Seriously, I'd stick to more locally organised affairs. That includes finding a gentleman's club with a library.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Given the sudden upswing in emails I'm being included in, even as a volunteer, I shall be very surprised if this job isn't on the cards.  Things are too hectic, and they still haven't put up the vacancy and job description yet, but it's all moving forward. Looks like I'm gonna be in a bit more of a managerial role with Longhorns too. And I'm in on the debrief of the Sth Sudanese basketball tourney. Hoping to get more hands on with the end of year event, which is at the same venue. Lual Deng is hopefully gonna give it some financial backing, which should make things run a heck of a lot more smoothly.

Well, finally, the FT roles are up and about. 

Applications due by next Monday. Spent part of the weekend updating my resume again. (A very important aspect, because a large part of the role is knocking out updated resumes for clients.)

Still very very confident, and they've restructured how the Work and Learning Centre is going to function, in a really good way. 2 new FT roles, both with a 1 on 1 client base, but also with one of the positions focusing on reverse marketing to employers (which has already been massively successful in the last month) so we can put forward groups of clients for jobs and tailor things for different companies. I kind of got the vol role etc because of my corp connection, and I will apply for this role, and could do it, but am actually more excited by the other role.

It focuses on recruiting clients. And I've already sussed how it ties in beautifully with the work I'm already doing with Helping Hoops and Longhorns. There's just a nice flow from working with kids and younger brothers etc from the age of 10-14 in Helping hoops, continuing with them right up until 18 and then being able to be there as a helping hand once they're out doing uni and looking for work. 

Super excited, pretty darn confident although naturally a bit nervous. This is a role I really really want, and it's gonna be my first interview in front of a panel.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I'm sure you will storm it face. Hope your little one is doing well.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Melbourne Cup Holiday today. Spent most of it answering Key Selection Criteria. Thanks fuck there's overlap between the 2 roles and I can cut and paste.

Got some NBA games, some GTAV and some cuddles in with Ara too, so wins all round.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    My only tip would be, don't act as confident as you maybe feel. The panel probably won't want to see you presuming you're going to get it, but the juggling of that with keeness and obviously being clear you're good enough can be a fine line.

As rev says though, I'm sure you will storm it. Just stay calm and, most importantly, keep us posted :-)
  • Yeah, keeping confidence in check is definitely a strength of mine; some would say it's been a weakness, tbh. Either way, I'm taking it very seriously, and not taking the chance for granted. Feel much better now that a large chunk of the content is written. 2 more role specific questions to be written, a little bit of clean up and second and third drafting and then a cover letter, which will be a summation of the KSC stuff and I'm good to go. 

The missus has given the first draft a once over too, and is pretty much happy. She's an excellent sounding board, and has been on the other side of screening for very similar roles, so I know I'm on the right track.

Because the written content is mostly done, and I still have time and next weekend to do some more, I'm hoping to finish the online version as well. 

I really do enjoy playing with some of this stuff, without feeling the need to get all expert on web design. As mentioned in the website thread, Jon's suggestion of squarespace is excellent. I'm calling it research, and it's fun seeing what can be created easily with a layman's knowledge. Being able to password protect viewing the site actually makes it quite cool for creating an online resume. 

I'm on the 14 day free trial anyway. Hoping, given part of the KSCs is a question about using tools and other left of centre ideas for training, that this sort of stuff will do a good bit of show and tell.
  • Reference letter I got from helping Hoops is so glowing it nearly brought a tear to my eye.
  • paperwork all in. And now we wait for the interview time. . . .
  • Good luck Face. Sounds like you've got everything in hand.

Do you have a list of objectives or competencies for the job? If you have I'd prepare for the interview, etc by going through them and writing down a couple of good examples of where you have achieved those objectives in your current role (or life). Take these notes with you as well, it's easy in the heat of an interview to forget stuff.

Teaching your grandma to suck eggs and all that, but you know. :)
  • Thankfully, answering the Key Selection Criteria was largely an exercise in just that, so I'm fairly well prepared on that front. Taking it as an excellent sign that the other casual going for the two roles and I were both invited to the (paid) personal Development session yesterday.
  • artworks-000033618528-bg2d24-crop.jpg?3eddc42Finally a date.
  • Interview done yesterday. Didn't rip it up, but missed some chances too. Happy with the work I've been doing casually to hold me in good stead, and my written answers to the KSC I'm happy with.

Still hate the waiting though. Might hear today, or monday at the latest.

been waking up in the night panicking. FUCK.
  • Fuck.
  • Does "Rit it up" mean ruin it in Oz land?
    Is a positive phrase where Im from, crazy upside down land.

Anyway, chill now man, you cant do anymore and Im sure you did better than you think.
  • Have you called them, Face?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Didn't get it.

It was down to the interview.

Gutted.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Didn't get it. It was down to the interview. Gutted.

Sorry to hear that dude.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Flip sake mate. Sorry to hear that.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • It's a tough situation. 

On the one hand, I know my interview wasn't great, on the other, I had my direct manager getting overruled by two senior managers based on one interview instead of the previous 8 months work.

I know exactly where I dropped the ball in their eyes, I knew at the time, a little, but was hoping it wasn't that disastrous. I am disappointed they didn't even ring my other references, who would have given me a great leg up. 

The positives to be taken are that I absolutely know I can do the work, I know what to work on, and I already have the connections to be back on the job hunt today. Once I've let the disappointment and hurt die down, I'll even give my replacement a good handover, as the clients I have had deserve the best transition they can. My manager is staying on my resume as a glowing reference too, which is good (although does beg a fucker of a question).

Thankfully, I am not completely out of work and am back on the grind in my old job today.

Allowed myself yesterday to be a complete mess and mourn a little, tears were shed. From today though, it's back into overdrive.
  • I've sent some of you a linkedin connection request recommendation. It's for olimite, in case you are wondering.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!