Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'll get it sorted this week.

Problem with Chaos is lack of skills on a fresh team. Beastmen can be trained into pretty much any position though.
  • This bugger is getting nothing buy quality rolls...
  • Last turn winning touchdown passing play from Chaos.

Booooom!
  • Actually, are interception rolls made before the throw? Hmm. Don't remember.

Anyway - Great first game online. Really good fun. Plenty of Nuffle screwing me over, plenty of me screwing me over, and plenty of teef (thanks swirly) gathered. Should have scored in the first half - I was on the offensive and had the ball the whole half without being able to punch a way through his defence. Second half I kept him at half-way, forced the ball wide, messed up the pick up and knocked it into the crowd... they threw it into the centre, he got it back... and on the the last turn, from half way, I managed a single dice blitz to down his ball carrier, pick up the ball, launch it to a beastman and run it home.

That's Blood Bowl*.

*Also all the killing.

Levelled up a single warrior and gave him Block. He killed a man today. He will kill many more.

Lovely stuff. Pity we only have 3 (?) for an Xbone League.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I know. Such a great strategy game more people should be on it. Perfect for forum leagues. Could have legendary players born that other teams but bounties on :)
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    The dice roll stuff puts alot off I guess, but it's in Xcom and that's popular. The whole team building thing and skills etc makes you really get into your teams and grow fond of them.
  • The dice rolls in XCOM are abstracted because they're a percentage. BB works because it's a real dice game, and the intricacies of that system put people off. You have to work out the chance for success in your head rather than being presented with a number that shows how likely your success will be. It's important in bloodbowl to know what stats are effecting your dice, but in XCOM I imagine very few ever open the tab that explains why your percentage is what it is.

Despite a similar heritage of 'minimising risks whilst maximising favourable outcomes' i think a fundamental difference is that in XCOM you're actively trying to optimise your rolls with modifiers and gain more rolls per enemy by eliminating targets to give you more attempts per attack. Conversely, true success in BB comes from making as few rolls as possible, and those that you do make are as secure as they can be. There's probably a lot to be written about turn based games and the methodology and approaches they encourage.

Plus y'know, it's Orcs and GW nerdiness. I'd like to see Frozen Cortex with the class and skill based role playing of BB, that might be the hook for the casual.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Your chances to do things are presented as percentages in this temps so its a bit closer to xcom. Dice rolls are shown after the event. Obviously it's still important to know what stats are affecting that but might ease newer players in a bit easier.

The only dice you see rolled are for blocks, which you do need to learn the special symbols for obviously.
  • Is there a way of turning the grid on?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Don't think so but if you highlight an opposing player it puts one on.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Your chances to do things are presented as percentages in this temps so its a bit closer to xcom. Dice rolls are shown after the event. Obviously it's still important to know what stats are affecting that but might ease newer players in a bit easier.

The only dice you see rolled are for blocks, which you do need to learn the special symbols for obviously.

Ah I did t realise they'd changed this, I hadn't seen it in a review. That's an interesting decision as unlike XCOM the raw numbers are important from the get go, rather than at higher difficulties
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Yeh you can spend time probing different options and routes before committing.

I wish there were more of us :(
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:
    I wish there were more of us :(

This game is top of my list once I'm not quite as screwed cash wise.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I like a good turn based strategy game but after watching a few minutes of a video this just looked a bit dull.
    Tempy wrote:
    I'd like to see Frozen Cortex with the class and skill based role playing of BB, that might be the hook for the casual.

This sounds more like it!  Does this make me a casual?...
  • Yeah, but that's no bad thing with something as esoteric as BB
  • It's hugely rewarding, Nexx. I dare say you'd enjoy it a fair bit if the right online competitive modes are present. I'm not 100% how the tournaments work.

It's a decent translation of a quality board game at the end of the day. If we could get a league with 6+ of us, it would be something special.
  • 5 players knocked out at half time and only one woke up... Constant 1s rolled... This is bullshit!
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    That's BB baby. Get thee subs bought.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I was playing Enchanted Forest earlier with my lad, he rolled about 8 sixes out of 12 rolls. Unbelieveable.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    5 players knocked out at half time and only one woke up... Constant 1s rolled... This is bullshit!

Blood Bowl! The game that makes you hate dice!™
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Might sneak it despite only having half my team left... Unlikely, but as you say, that's Blood Bowl.

Gonna be close. Need a turn in luck.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'll get a forum league created so we can get some games going.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    What team are u?
  • I'm using Chaos at the moment.

It's all coming down to one dice roll. If I get a 3+ I score in the final turn again and win...

DID IT FUCK YES.
  • Only had 5 players left on the pitch, haha! Got a mauling by a human team...

Cracking though. Just like my first game, I pulled off a passing move to take the win on the final turn. Unbelievable... after a game of no good rolls, I finally manage all the 50/50's and take it.

Will the league just be "keep playing each other ad infinitum" I assume?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    So will you use chaos in the forum league? Magick has made an orc team so I'll do something different.
  • Are we all going to start new teams?

I'll go Dark Elves or Dwarves if so.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    I'll get it sorted this week. Problem with Chaos is lack of skills on a fresh team. Beastmen can be trained into pretty much any position though.
    This is so true, btw.

So many turnovers after using my single (shudder) re-roll early on. The lack of a safety net when picking up the ball is horrible.
  • Cue Swirly - "Don't pick up the ball. 'it them. 'it them again. When there's nobody left to 'it, get the round thing."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!