Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Were they just going for silly, impossible rolls all game?! Mental.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Yeh might go DE actually. Good shout. Never played as them either so it'll be a good change.

I'll sort a team and get us rolling.
  • Must have been high TV with the ability to run/pass one turn touchdowns?

I just had a look at the BB reddit and it's full of fools complaining about people fouling? 

"You don't get SPP for it so I told them not to bother but they did anyway. They don't understand Blood Bowl."

"I went 1-0 up and this guy started fouling in turn 5, can you believe it?"

Some people. Tut.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Fucks sake.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    "You don't get SPP for it so I told them not to bother but they did anyway. They don't understand Blood Bowl." "I went 1-0 up and this guy started fouling in turn 5, can you believe it?" Some people. Tut.

Sweet zombie jeebus.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • For anyone on the fence...

It's a digital representation of the board game - A very good one, I might add. It may appear slow or clunky or archaic or obtuse, but it's an enduring game with a fervent fanbase that has soldiered on with very little official support for many years now. This is because the game itself is a cracker.

Dice are at play, which may worry some, but the more strategic player will usually win. The most key element is positional play - Placing your players in such a way that when on the offence your ball carrier can't be reached, and that there are no gaps to be exploited in your defence. It's hugely tactical, but there's always the chance you'll get screwed by the dice. Though this works the other way too... few things will leave you punching the air as hard as when you score a last turn touchdown when you needed to roll consistently strong dice for a turn. Part of the strategy comes down to choosing the order of actions you take to minimise risk.

It's an RPG also. Your players grow as the history of your team does - Similar to Xcom, I guess. Someone may start as a no-name Linesman, but they could well become a feared front line blocker after some timely upgrades.  It's a game that breeds stories, like the time I killed 4 halflings in a single game, left them with 5 players on the pitch... and then lost after a Treeman threw one of the stunty fuckers into my endzone. The opposing team had to fold after that, but they still won the game. The stuff of legend.

It's a beautiful game, it really is. Everyone buy it on Xbone and join the league.

am not a nerd
  • For anyone on the fence... It's a digital representation of the board game - A very good one, I might add. It may appear slow or clunky or archaic or obtuse, but it's an enduring game with a fervent fanbase that has soldiered on with very little official support for many years now. This is because the game itself is a cracker. Dice are at play, which may worry some, but the more strategic player will usually win. The most key element is positional play - Placing your players in such a way that when on the offence your ball carrier can't be reached, and that there are no gaps to be exploited in your defence. It's hugely tactical, but there's always the chance you'll get screwed by the dice. Though this works the other way too... few things will leave you punching the air as hard as when you score a last turn touchdown when you needed to roll consistently strong dice for a turn. Part of the strategy comes down to choosing the order of actions you take to minimise risk. It's an RPG also. Your players grow as the history of your team does - Similar to Xcom, I guess. Someone may start as a no-name Linesman, but they could well become a feared front line blocker after some timely upgrades.  It's a game that breeds stories, like the time I killed 4 halflings in a single game, left them with 5 players on the pitch... and then lost after a Treeman threw one of the stunty fuckers into my endzone. The opposing team had to fold after that, but they still won the game. The stuff of legend. It's a beautiful game, it really is. Everyone buy it on Xbone and join the league. am not a nerd

Hear hear
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • As much as that's a nice wee post, tiger, this is the type of game where I don't understand why they don't provide a playable demo. I really feel I'd need to try this to know if I'm going to like it.

All games should have playable demos these days, but with this sort of thing, where there really is nothing else like it out there, it's even more confusing.
  • Fair point. Would help with sales - I imagine it looks pretty unwelcoming for someone who hasn't played the board game.

It's an odd omission.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    The stuff of legend. It's a beautiful game, it really is. Everyone buy it on Xbone and join the league. am not a nerd

I've said it before and I'll say it again, BB is the best thing GW ever made, including Battlefleet Gothic. The rules are simple but allow for really nuanced play, the teams are varied but (mostly) balanced*, and it writes its own comedy. The tabletop version has genuine lulz from me on many occasion.

A good demo would definitely be a great thing to have. BB seems like it'd be hard to learn but after one game you'll have the basics down pat. It's learning the best moves given the odds and the best tactics to employ for each team match up that'll take time.

I think the Rare Retro Replay may have sold me on Xbone, so when that glorious day comes I'll grab BB2 as well. Odds on this'll be sometime around 2025.

*And the unbalanced teams are harder to play, not easier.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Right gonna go Dark Elves.

Direglade Dragons?
    Darkblade Dragons?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Think i prefer darkblade.
  • My Skaven are called the Ratfink Raiders. Not convinced by the name but hey ho.

Darkblade Drakes? I played a Chaos team called The Blackgaurd (sic) earlier and I did a lol because how can you fuck up your team name like that what an IDIOT.

Agreed, Swirly.
  • I really want to play another game tonight but they take 90 minutes or so...

The 2 minute limit I bemoaned earlier is ideal in reality. Any longer and online play would be too annoying. It's just enough time to consider your options but I regularly scramble to get moves done at the end if I'm slow.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'd prefer to play 4 mins in our league. Most turns are around a minute but some need over 2 IMO.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I like drakes btw. Hmmm.
  • I can do that. S'alright with non-randoms.

• FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    What night do you fancy kicking the league off?
  • Probably going to be next weekend for me. Going to be having a nightmare week at work so I can't really commit.

Hoping to get on at some point but can't guarantee - Possibly Thursday...

• FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    No worries. No rush, I'd love for this to be a slow burner but still going on a year from now.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Team and League created. Shout with your team names and I'll get you invited.
  • FranticPea wrote:
    No worries. No rush, I'd love for this to be a slow burner but still going on a year from now.
    Oh, for sure. I'll happily chip away at this for a long time.

I'll double check my team name and post it up.
  • Oh, do you know how tickets work? Got one to join some tournament or other but it looks like I need to drop out of the free ladder to enter?
  • Hmm.

It appears that you can only play in one competition at a time. I've no idea if you can even look at standings for the NAF Open or whatever it is I'm in now - I entered simply because it looked like it had a lot of people already in it.

Not well documented in game.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    One per team or one total?
  • Though this ticket inviting me to whatever cup can be used for any team, it seems.
  • This is fucking terrible on the PS4.

Twice now it has crashed in career mode on the last ai turn of the game when I had a win in the bag and the fucking games take an hour plus later in the season in career mode and for some reason there is no autosave during turns at all.

The frame rate also routinely tanks especially during the first few seconds after it finishes loading a match. Which also takes fucking forever.

If you don't like blood bowl don't bother with this, its a fucking shambles.

I could go on about the extremely limited animation becoming repetetive after the first game, and the overall general lack of variety, and why the subtitles that you cant turn off dont match up with the spoken words at all in several places, but to be honest, there's no point,they are the side effect of the shoestring budget I presume the game had.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Quite interested in this - never played BB before.  I can't get near the telly at the moment (have mother in law with us looking after our young daughter). 
    Thinking I might get it for PS4 and remote play it.   Is the first version (on iPad or PSP) a good intro?
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!