Politics of the Free - It’s because Democrats, stupid.
  • Nothing will improve until people are prepared to die for it, spectacularly, in record numbers.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    In fairness his attempts to persuade Manchin to do anything appear to have consisted of capitulating to him at every turn then shrugging.
    We’ve zero idea what goes on behind closed doors. The fact that Biden isn’t publicly excoriating Manchin shouldn’t be taken to mean too much considering the fact that Biden likely hopes that Manchin is still persuadable.

We know what goes on behind closed doors. They negotiate away the guts of their bill, and then Manchin turns round and says Lol, still not voting for it.

Back room deals are clearly not working with Manchin. If Biden still believes he can be persuaded he's either spectacularly naive or senile.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Nothing will improve until people are prepared to die for it, spectacularly, in record numbers.

Thus spake history
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    In fairness his attempts to persuade Manchin to do anything appear to have consisted of capitulating to him at every turn then shrugging.
    We’ve zero idea what goes on behind closed doors. The fact that Biden isn’t publicly excoriating Manchin shouldn’t be taken to mean too much considering the fact that Biden likely hopes that Manchin is still persuadable.

We know what goes on behind closed doors. They negotiate away the guts of their bill, and then Manchin turns round and says Lol, still not voting for it.

Back room deals are clearly not working with Manchin. If Biden still believes he can be persuaded he's either spectacularly naive or senile.

So what are Biden’s options exactly? Criticising Manchin publicly isn’t likely to persuade him either, if anything it’s more likely to make him dig his heels in.
  • Yossarian wrote:

At what point does this begin to look like naïveté? I mean what the fuck the guy hasn't budged on anything remotely "progressive" or "environmentally friendly" for the whole time the democrats have held the senate. In what world can anyone, observing the actual behaviour, believe there is hope with a guy like that in power?
  • Fuck the guy up, that's your option. Pressure him in public and private ways, far harder than Biden has done so far. Lay everything at his door. Dox the motherfucker's family. Burn the ground he walks on, so that digging his heels in blisters the skin off them
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Again, what are the alternatives here?

Unfortunately, the democrats and Manchin are stuck with each other. Open warfare in the Democratic Party is hardly going to be good for the dems in the long run, so what’s to be done?
  • Remove his membership of Democratic Party. Bribe him with one million dollars. Kidnap his kids.
  • Sounds like the GOP has played a blinder then. Lost the election but staying in power completely.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • You know that tone isn’t helping anyone, Funk.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Rev wrote:
    Sounds like the GOP has played a blinder then. Lost the election but staying in power completely.

Yep, they’ve exploited the constitution in every way possible to entrench minority rule.
  • There's not a lot that can be done if Manchin won't respond to whatever the usual range of bribes and threats are. Biden's got a tiny advantage in the Senate and getting rid of Manchin turns that into a minority (and I'm not really sure what his options are for getting rid anyway). And he still won't be able to pass his spending bill.
  • You know that tone isn’t helping anyone, Funk.

I feel much better, actually
  • It’s not helping, no. But I did like this phrase:
    Funkstain wrote:
    Burn the ground he walks on, so that digging his heels in blisters the skin off them.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    You know that tone isn’t helping anyone, Funk.

I feel much better, actually

Yeah, I get that. Prior to your string of posts I deleted a post where I advocated [actual violence] against the ruling classes and everyone associated with them. Democracy is dead, and what isnt dead is corrupted by a stacked system and used as a shield to placate gullible status quo mother fuckers. Hang them all. Whoops. (Not a joke, deathly serious. Only way to change anything now is to make assholes and everyone they love pay.)
  • You know what also isn't helping anyone?

Joe Manchin.
  • You know what also isn't helping anyone?

Joe Manchin.

Kidnap his kids. Hang him, and his parents publicly. Carve the words “you’re next” into his forehead. Not joking.
  • That'll solve it.
    Meanwhile outside of the sixth form art room.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    Fuck the guy up, that's your option. Pressure him in public and private ways, far harder than Biden has done so far. Lay everything at his door. Dox the motherfucker's family. Burn the ground he walks on, so that digging his heels in blisters the skin off them

His approval rating has gone up from low 40s to high 50s in his home state since he started all this bollocks. His base like it. Attacking him will probably only make them like him more. America is fucked.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    That'll solve it.
    Meanwhile outside of the sixth form art room.

Good point.

Let’s vote. Then argue (with the appropriate tone) and protest (but not too aggressively) and pressure politicians (without cancelling them) and ignore that the entire system is now stacked against us and in the favour of special interest.

The longer we stay on the sidelines, the more rights are lost - the ruling classes have proven themselves incapable of balance between the will of the people and their own interests / interests of their donors.

It’s not our job to wait for them to learn or come to the table. They’ve had many, many chances. No compromise. Hang them.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Fuck the guy up, that's your option. Pressure him in public and private ways, far harder than Biden has done so far. Lay everything at his door. Dox the motherfucker's family. Burn the ground he walks on, so that digging his heels in blisters the skin off them
    His approval rating has gone up from low 40s to high 50s in his home state since he started all this bollocks. His base like it. Attacking him will probably only make them like him more. America is fucked.
    It's a Trump state. Democrats only have a senator because it was traditionally one of their strongholds and it's taking a while for that to feed through. The Senate races are getting closer and closer though. Probably next time it will turn.
  • Was anything worth fighting for ever just given?

Suffering is shit, but it does at least birth some ambitious solutions
  • Do you like your rights? You have to fight for your rights every single day. 

At least America has a constitution. The UK is sorely fucked.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • LivDiv wrote:
    That'll solve it. Meanwhile outside of the sixth form art room.
    Good point. Let’s vote. Then argue (with the appraise tone) and protest (but not too aggressively) and pressure politicians (without cancelling them) and ignore that the entire system is now stacked against us and in the favour of special interest. The longer we stay on the sidelines, the more rights are lost - the ruling classes have proven themselves incapable of balance between the will of the people and their own interests / interests of their donors. It’s not our job to wait for them to learn or come to the table. They’ve had many, many chances. No compromise. Hang them.

Or we could sit on a videogames forum saying someone should kidnap someone's kids but not me someone else should do it yeah.
  • Rev wrote:
    Do you like your rights? You have to fight for your rights every single day. 

At least America has a constitution. The UK is sorely fucked.

This is a really a bizarre “at least” given the news today.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    That'll solve it. Meanwhile outside of the sixth form art room.
    Good point. Let’s vote. Then argue (with the appraise tone) and protest (but not too aggressively) and pressure politicians (without cancelling them) and ignore that the entire system is now stacked against us and in the favour of special interest. The longer we stay on the sidelines, the more rights are lost - the ruling classes have proven themselves incapable of balance between the will of the people and their own interests / interests of their donors. It’s not our job to wait for them to learn or come to the table. They’ve had many, many chances. No compromise. Hang them.

Or we could sit on a videogames forum saying someone should kidnap someone's kids but not me someone else should do it yeah.

Fair. I’m a million wiles away. How has protesting and placating worked for you?
  • What’s your plan for correcting this?
  • It doesn't involve mutilation the death sentence or kidnapping minors.

If I have to bin off basic values it isn't worth it. A society that endorses those things is worse than what we have now.
  • Cool. I’m all in. What’s your plan?
  • Super excited. I don’t wanna execute anyone either, truth be told.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!