Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • Is the uk just now into a cycle of constant elections? I thought the torys had a strong majority for tye next 5 years or something?

Has politics finally eaten itself?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Our country has proved that elections just don't work, we always get stuck with Tories. Surely it's time we just get on with selecting our leaders via a physical tournament or some sort. Perhaps with swords?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I think if we're involving swords, we need some watery tart to hand them out.
  • Oh, but you can’t expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t buy that we’ll have another GE this year. Surely even the Tories can’t think that rolling the dice for the fourth time in eight years has no chance of coming back and biting them on the arse, and for what? Johnson’s got a chunky enough majority that he can see off pretty much any rebellion from his own MPs, at best he’s adding two more years on to the end of that. There’s very little to gain here and a lot to lose.
  • Surely the next election must be contested under x factor rules? 4 judges trim through the list of wannabe politicians before we get the live shows where each week the public vote off people until we finally get a prime minister.

In keeping with x factor tradition, all the losers from the live show get to do a touring run (or "cabinet " in politic terms)
    SFV - reddave360
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I don’t buy that we’ll have another GE this year. Surely even the Tories can’t think that rolling the dice for the fourth time in eight years has no chance of coming back and biting them on the arse, and for what? Johnson’s got a chunky enough majority that he can see off pretty much any rebellion from his own MPs, at best he’s adding two more years on to the end of that. There’s very little to gain here and a lot to lose.

I'm just musing.

But, things are in an odd place right now. If supermarkets shelves are conspicuously emptied, with no good reason (because the EU exit is no good reason), an election could be the least chaotic event in the next 3 months.

I've just read they're culling pigs and burying them now, because David Cameron has retired and is refusing to wank them off.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I was asked this by a man at the BBC on the weekend.
    What you don't realise dyna is that pigs do get killed.
    If you have a bacon sandwich that pig has been killed.
    Have you ever eaten a bacon sandwich?
    How many bacon sandwiches have you eaten?
    Don't deflect, answer the question.
    Spoiler:
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    But is that £20k pa with no housing costs or utility bills because you’re accommodated on base?

Basic starting salary for a soldier is about £20k. Single Living Accomodation charges will be deducted from that. Those soldiers that are married/have a family will probably be in Service Families Accommodation, which does have subsidised rent, but all other bills are paid as normal.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    I was asked this by a man at the BBC on the weekend. What you don't realise dyna is that pigs do get killed. If you have a bacon sandwich that pig has been killed. Have you ever eaten a bacon sandwich? How many bacon sandwiches have you eaten? How many bacon sandwiches have you eaten? Don't deflect, answer the question. How many bacon sandwiches have you eaten?
    Spoiler:

He sounds like Andy...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    But is that £20k pa with no housing costs or utility bills because you’re accommodated on base?

Basic starting salary for a soldier is about £20k. Single Living Accomodation charges will be deducted from that. Those soldiers that are married/have a family will probably be in Service Families Accommodation, which does have subsidised rent, but all other bills are paid as normal.

Reminds me of the fire strikes back in 2002/2003. We were deployed to cover the fire service for far less money and with much worse equipment (including protective equipment).
  • Yeah, but you're the army.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Now.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Bah, there's no in. Fuck you, Dante.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    You've got your orders standing fuel on sight
    Your finger's on the trigger but it don't stream right
  • Basic starting salary for a soldier is about £20k. Single Living Accomodation charges will be deducted from that. Those soldiers that are married/have a family will probably be in Service Families Accommodation, which does have subsidised rent, but all other bills are paid as normal.

Thanks Goobs. Interesting to hear how it actually works. Never being part of that community, it’s easy to make assumptions.
  • The Freudian slip at the very end is the icing on the cake really.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    My brother just sent me a picture of his new passport, and it's not even a nice shade of blue.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
  • I saw that graph kicking around this morning, shared by quite a few staff from the University of Glasgow. Nice to see a bit of the context around it.

Generally I don’t think the study and analysis are telling us anything we don’t already know, but it’s important to be getting recent hard data to back up gut feelings: People who mistrust authority won’t listen if/when the authorities try to help them. The same knowledge has been at the back of lots of NHS messaging around preventative treatments and vaccinations for decades.
  • There doesn't seem to be any mention of the Brexit area's generally beeing poorer than the Remain areas, which surely would be a factor.
  • Also things like old people staying while young people leaving for opportunity.
  • People who are struggling economically are less likely to trust (and follow instructions from) the authorities who have not delivered for them in the past.

I mean, you’re both right. There are a million factors feeding into the big picture of this sort of stuff.
  • Maybe it suggests that Johnson’s position in the referendum was a token influence.
  • Johnson capitalised (via Cummings and his strategy) on people not trusting authority. The famous ‘we’ve had enough of so-called experts’ stance.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    People who are struggling economically are less likely to trust (and follow instructions from) the authorities who have not delivered for them in the past.

I mean, you’re both right. There are a million factors feeding into the big picture of this sort of stuff.

But they are also more likely to live and work in places that are more crowded and less able to social distance. They also rely more on public transport and are less likely to be able to work remotely.
  • Yep. See? A million factors.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!