Total War: Warhammer - Total Hammer: War - Hammer War: Total
  • Haha, this game yo, man. What a fine piece of game this is. I can see this being my GOTY, it's pure unadulterated fan service.

From my first campaign: An Old Blood on a Carnosaur, doing his thing.

78wvNBe.jpg

The design of settlements is superb.

exQynX5.jpg

Decided then on a change of pace after doing the first ritual as the Lizardmen, time to take childhood favourite Lord Skrolk out for a stroll.

The backgrounds in this game look like concept art, there'ye amazing.

GPRFNfi.jpg

Fire!

Zu3R1iU.jpg

Fore!

DTl8iA2.jpg

First you drive them out of their stolen Castle, then you crush them.

sThWAyk.jpg

Censer Bearers are neat

1345Eyz.jpg

Turns out the Slann wanted a go

E3VIt5K.jpg

... but Skaven are the menace below.

Rc4aI7a.jpg
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Some right beauts. My settings look like a beastman privy.

Lizardmen feel fun to use with a very strong infantry core. Saurus hit like a truck and i'm a fan of skinks being nippy enough to flank and javelin quickly. Cold one cav is essentially boar boyz but cause fear.

I just can't figure out how to use the sun beam dino optimally. As artillery it feels quite weak and just charging it into the fight for terror feels like i'm using it wrong.

Can already see the big weakness of LM's is no decent missile units. Recruited some blessed flyer boys last night before sleep and I am eager to try.
  • Bastiliodon are really good single target killers, good for giants, hydras etc

When the front lines meet you absolutely should be charging him into a flank, as he'll just keep going.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Keep spamming those pictures gents, loving your work.
  • Will do! I spent 100 odd turns allied with the humans that had set up colonies in Lustria, then I got bored and decided to murder all of them in a handful of turns. Took lots of Holiday snaps whilst doing it. Never trust a Lizard.
  • Time for a Total War dump!

So the Skaven that I am coming across in my Lustria campaign now have Screaming Bells, the animation for the Grey Seer that rides them is fantastic:

q8M0Et6.jpg

My battle against the warm bloods was swift and brutal, here's and Old Blood dishing out some extra violence

8CGlOhM.jpg

Elsewhere on the field one of my heroes decides to learn about actions...

BxDWdkK.jpg

... and their reactions.

OT0HJeR.jpg

Warmbloods come in many shapes but they are all puny.

D3FkXOD.jpg

Elsewhere Mazamundi is forced to force the softskin out of one of the Lizardmen's ancestral homes: 

nIJtZIT.jpg

He makes swift work of them.

htvhPdl.jpg

His Lizardkin quickly flood their disgusting grey walls.

kwaYjYb.jpg

Savage Orcs also need forcing out too, so the Lizards attack from the trees and the hills.

7QpTRcU.jpg

A tide of scale and claw washes away the green sickness.

PML2c7T.jpg

The warmbloods flee so quickly.

REksWOr.jpg

All of the ferocity angers the very trees themselves, and the fell-spirit Durthu marches on us.

WTT8Jw9.jpg

He brings a dragon...

gu8sq42.jpg

gi0tyGm.jpg

Luckily Lizards are strong, and Lizards are prepared, and they drive the Treekin home with the help of airborne raiders.

sfJTMWw.jpg

The Lizardmen are known for their unbreakable will, and the other factions refuse to co-operate, in the Jungle, this means the law of the tooth rules. Mazdamundi marches on those who stand in the way of the plan of the Old Ones.

xKietuK.jpg

The siege is long and bloody...

Xei7rBs.jpg

...the casualties many...

l2Ipn8z.jpg

...but eventually the high ground is taken...

weBaaIz.jpg

... and the Conduit of the Old Ones succeeds.

PGQqMCZ.jpg

Some weeks later, as the Lizardmen attempt to protect the sacred grounds performing the Vortex ritual, the Skaven Ambush their reserves.

2wf1Xoh.jpg

They overestimate their power however, and Mazdamundi calls upon an ancient spell which obliterates 400 ratmen in one twisting maelstrom... 

883xF5y.jpg

...the survivors provide a hearty meal for his Ancient Stegadon, Zlaaq.

FJprL5Y.jpg
  • On one hand, this is awesome. On the other hand, stop killing Skaven and start killing stuff with Skaven!

Skaven are the One True Warhammer Race, just like Tyranids are the One True 40K Race. You wouldn't download a car kill a tyranid, would you? Exactly!
  • I mean I love the Skaven, they were my second race I ever had as a kid (first were Eldar, third was 'nids). I am playing them in one campaign, but I also have to give props for the Lizardmen (who were my fourth race), who have always been great, but have been given a new lease of life by Creative Assembly, their take on the Kroxigor is amazing.

The whole game is just unbelievably good, they've taken the tabeltop faction's identities and playstyles and ran with them, carrying them closer to the fiction than they actual dicerolling, and it is amazing because of it. Everything does exactly what the short stories in the army books said they did, and the animation work they've done for the non-humanoids is stupendous.

The difference between this campaign and the previous game's is also massive, Eye of the Vortex is the first time CA have ever done a campaign like this and they seem to have nailed it, it has a proper flow and drive to it and there's no more misleading downtime before a timer arbitrarily ticks over and a super army appears on your borders. You have easily identifiable goals, and you chose when to trigger the Chaos threat with your rituals. You get to pick whether you wait until your borders are totally secure, potentially falling behind the other races on the map, or if you want to risk being overwhelmed for early gains.

It's just so damn good. Exactly the kind of thing that you just cant replicate as well on console, a series that really utilises the platform it's on.
  • I didn't give the original much time but now I want this because Warhammer is dream.
  • It's much better than the first, so far.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    5K Down the draaaaaain intervention indeed.
  • Hmm, I dunno, interventions usually slow them down, that's their main function. I used the 5k one to stall the High Elves third level ritual whilst I caught up, it bought me a few turns.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I never expected to like the design of the lizardmen siege equipment this much.
  • Their battering ram is nonsense.

How are you finding Cashflow? I think Lizardmen have strong potential for huge cash - my pro-tip is that you don't really need high level units until really late on, if you do quests for blessed spawnings you can dodge the cash grind for Kroxigors and Cold Ones etc, and focus on your economy - built a Stone Tower in one secondary settlement and fill everything else with Skink Favelas. 

I had to panic-buy two extra armies, but ignoring upkeep, my income is around 20k. With armies its about 1-4k depending, but I also haven't upgraded Mazdamundi's Upkeep reduction much yet.
  • Lizard core is usually like, 2x Temple Guard, 4x Clubs and Shields, 2x cold ones, general, hero (mounted on monsters), 2x kroxigors, Skinks for seasoning.

The infantry rarely rout, I am worried they're easy mode.

(not at all desperate to chat about this game, no sir)
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The stack got destroyed sandwhiched between two clan mors stacks before it even reached the ritual city.

No flyers? They're not too bad in melee against soft stuff either and cause fear.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Economy is picking up after having a second army a bit too early. He is now securing the natural border against the cult of pleasure who i am going to sack the shit out of.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The first nerf patch will be interesting.
  • Flyers are very good for taking out Artillery that sits back but skirmishers do the same job nearly as well for smaller upkeep and less of an imprint on your settlement slots. They're definitely good, but I'd keep an eye out for quests for Blessed Spawnings over the building chain for economic reasons.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    (not at all desperate to chat about this game, no sir)

Just shout into the void lads, I'm listening.

Can we have some videos with a little context for dressing? Cheers.
  • I've got some replays saved that i might record, I fancy trying out the inbuilt Nvidia card capture stuff
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Flyers are very good for taking out Artillery that sits back but skirmishers do the same job nearly as well for smaller upkeep and less of an imprint on your settlement slots. They're definitely good, but I'd keep an eye out for quests for Blessed Spawnings over the building chain for economic reasons.

Sieges m'boy SIEGES. They are great for flying over the walls and running disruption since LM skirmishers can't fire over. Flying the length of a wall and dropping rock bombs is l33t.

• Anybody fancy some MP battles later? Could fight in teams with AI or just go ham with free for all. Would be fun to mess with army comps and tactics. I could record a vid for it too. I defintely want to get a good shot of a Carnasaur tearing it up, the animations for it look incredible.

It seems everyone here has ended up mostly playing Lizardmen, so I could post more of my exploits but for a bit of a different flavour here I kinda feel like giving another race a go. I did start a High Elf campaign last night so I might just continue with that for the time being. The gleaming armour and weapons are pretty impressive, and I do really like playing with ranged units.
  • Can possibly do so, I am just doing some painting right now.
  • Hrm, I'm still really wishing there was a way of using a controller in the replays, such a shame to not be able to get some smooth camera work of the battles.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Messing about in battle replays for screenshots and i noticed the detail on lizmon have that reptile second eyelid when they blink.
  • So that's were those 20 frames per second are going..
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    There's dozens and dozens of unique animations going on in a unit. It's very easy to invent personal stories in your head on a freeze frame.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I appreciate in comparison the vampire counts skeleton animations being uniform and harryhausen as they should be.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!