The Moving House Thread
  • I just moved house. The day itself was stressful as all fuck. Was on the phone at 3:25 being told that unless the money arrived from the bank before 3:30 it wouldn't be coming at all. Money came in in the nick of time. It is amazing. I'm not sure I'm a real grown up yet, but I do have a pond and a boiler and it's mine. Moved out of Chelmsford because it was just too pricey. Actually paying less for the 3 bedroom mortgage than we were in rent for a 2 bed flat. That's something.
    Blammo! But keep yourself on a tight leash, all sorts of shit can go tits up from here.

It did as well. The vendor got a brain tumour and pulled out. Luckily the new place is much nicer.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Good to hear you're sorted now though. Get in the garden and tinker with that pond, me and Davy need some tips.
  • I need tips! There are a bunch of koi in their, apparently (I haven't seen them yet myself).

I assume they cost a fair bit to keep the filter running? 

Yeah, it's fucking lovely. No hot tub though.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Yeah the people I work with at Broomfield are often moaning how Chelmo is getting even more middle class since the designation as an actual city.

Glad you're sorted. Next comes the legion of annoying smaller jobs.
  • We moved in May.  It was a surprisingly straighforward process - the ballache has been the time and money we've had to spend since then doing the new place up, as it was a shithole.
  • Yeah, that's the nice thing about this place. It was in lovely condition so we already feel happy with it. Bathroom could do with updating and one of the bedrooms is ridiculous pink, but other than that... it's great.

Had some concerns over them not declaring the conservatory. We thought they wouldn't have the paperwork. We were worried about delaying the purchase though so we didn't question too much... only to find all the paperwork has been left out for us. NOICE.
  • Just, finally got the balls to discuss getting some help from my Dad towards buying a place. It's not that he is difficult to talk to, far from it, it is more that I like being independent and don't wnt to put on my parents anything that may delay retirement or helping out my grandparents should they need it.
    I don't even like saying my parents could help me, makes me feel like I'm on Super Sweet 16, but this is the reality today.

As it happens he took up the offer of a chunk of his pension from the government, has it floating in ISAs he isn't happy with and is looking at other options.

Having seen a place online in Croydon that was perfect (although we will obviously miss that particular property) he seems keener than myself.

Got to do some maths to see what I can afford per month but I think this is the start of things to come.

Quite excited.
  • Ahh that's ace live. House hunting is well exciting :)

I've put forward a pretty harsh savings plan for our deposit. We've been saving for a while but have also been pretty broke for a while so it's not amounted to much. I reckon we can now save a decent chunk in the next two years then I've drawn up a pretty brutal budget for the third year to really hammer it. It means cutting back on virtually everything but I can cope with a year of severely restricted funds if it means my own house the year after.

The depressing thing is my area is so expensive. What will buy us a two, maybe three bed semi here if we're lucky would get us a four or five bed detached elsewhere. Tis a joke. This isn't even a sought after area either! Fuck knows where these prices come from.
  • I've moved out of Birmingham for that kind of reason - money goes further elsewhere and we want a detached after living in terrace for 17 years.

@live: yeah, seems first time buyers are either the minted, the exceptionally frugal, or those helped out by their folks. That's what we did a while back.
  • I'm in the process of selling and looking for a new house - we're moving in with Vickys mum (she's not that well and needs to stop working quite so much so combining households into one big one seems like the right thing to do) so we've had to simultaneously sell both ours and her houses and find the right place to move into.

New house has to be at least 4/5 bedrooms, with two living rooms and enough space that we can live 'seperately' and keep out of each other's way if need be (which there will be).

We've sold ours subject to contract and she's completing sale on hers today. Unfortunately, we haven't found anything to but to move into so we're having to rent for 6 months - providing us with a handy acid test of whether we can actually stand living with each other.

The whole thing is a massive ball-ache tbh - there's not a week goes by without some kind of fucking drama. It'll be worth it in the end, I hope.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • That sounds hardcore Grem. Good luck finding something quickly.
  • We've seen quite a few possibilities but only made offers on one - which the owner turned down twice. Partly because the estate agents have totally over-priced the house by about £20k but also because I got the impression that she actually didn't want to sell. Fucking time waster.

The problem we've got now is that Winter Is Coming and there'll be less and less on the market - but at least we'll be in a strong position to buy.
  • That sounds dead harsh Grem :( Hope you find something suitable soon.
  • This only tangentially related, but …

Royal Mail are a ballache, aren’t they? I moved house. Went online this morning to set up a redirection for the post. Input all the details, pay the money … and then it pops up a series of security questions, to prove I’m me. Then it tells me I’ve got something wrong, so my application for a redirection is denied. It says ‘click here to go back, correct your details, and try again’. So I do, to no avail.

Royal Mail don’t believe I’m me.

My other option is to go into a Post Office and apply for a redirection in person … but to do that I need a bunch of bills addressed to the old house. Which I don’t have, because everything was online billing and they won’t accept printouts.

Arse.
  • Being lumped in a shite postal area is the worst. We're only up two flights of stairs, and we're lucky if our postman even rings the bell, or does the mental handiwork required to figure out that the first door on the second floor is 2/1

As such, post is in limbo. I missed some birthday cards by weeks.
  • Award for ‘best fuck-up so far’ during this house move goes to the local council.

I check up on council tax charges etc for the new place, and I find discrepancies.

Our building has flats one to four. The basement is Flat 1, ground floor is Flat 2, 3 and 4 are above. But the council instead have details for Flat Basement, Flat Ground, Flat 1 & Flat 2.

I try to explain that Flat 2 is Flat Ground. And that Flat 1 is the basement. Also that there are two more flats above. They don’t believe me.

They’ve been sending red reminders to ‘ground’ and ‘basement’ for years, but haven’t charged flats 3 & 4 at all.

I’m trying to tell them I’m in Flat 2, which is on the ground floor, and their records are royally fucked … because I’ve found out they also have the two names for my flat recorded under two different tax bands.

The mind boggles at these levels of incompetence.
  • I had that with BT.
    One terrace house split into two flats.

The ground floor flat is "48" the top floor flat is "Ground floor 48".
    Defies all logic.
  • To add an extra level of ‘huh?’ to the council’s performance …

I registered with them for council tax. I filled in their form, saying that I live at Flat 2.

They sent me a bill, in my name, addressed to Flat Ground.

And a second one, addressed to ‘occupier’ at Flat 2.

They have ‘Ground’ and ‘2’ listed at different tax bands. At this rate, I’m just gonna pay the cheapest one.
  • Idiots.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Lol. So hang on, two flats havent been charged council tax for years?
    You are going to be popular with the neighbours when they get their first bills.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I remember answering the door back in Uni to a council dude with a clipboard. He was asking for the Jones or somesuch and where they were. The look on his face when I mentioned that in fact there were at least 21 students now living in 3 different flat units over the three floors of this massive old house was quite the picture. 

On the council records it was till marked down as a sole residence, one family. The building regs on that place were..imaginatively interpreted shall we say.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Lol. So hang on, two flats havent been charged council tax for years? You are going to be popular with the neighbours when they get their first bills.

Yep. That’s going to be … interesting.

Have to do it though, to make sure I don’t get tapped for two bills every month instead of one.
  • poprock wrote:
    pantyfire wrote:
    Lol. So hang on, two flats havent been charged council tax for years? You are going to be popular with the neighbours when they get their first bills.

Yep. That’s going to be … interesting.

Have to do it though, to make sure I don’t get tapped for two bills every month instead of one.

We had to sort out our council tax when I was in a student flat in Dennistoun in Glasgow - the council took the opportunity to visit every flat in the building to update their CT records. This wasn't welcomed by the family of mental weegie neds living below us.

Fortunately, they didn't think it was us and assumed it was the other neighbours - getting their imagined revenge on him by setting his bicycle on fire in a Bucky fueled rampage that ended with the family having a massive internal barney and smashing up all their own furniture.

Those were the days.
  • Ah, Dennistoun. Are estate agents still trying to call it Merchant City East?
  • Nah usually it's "up and coming" or "an exciting vibrant place"
  • The latter description is somewhat cleva.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Tempy wrote:
    Nah usually it's "up and coming" or "an exciting vibrant place"

Doesn’t Finnieston have the monopoly on ‘up and coming’?

Not that I care, now that I’m a stereotypical trendy West End fuck.
  • Finnieston is definitely the hippest place in Glasgow at the minute, and it's slowing becoming more expensive and West End-y by the month. I'm in Cessnock. Not exactly trendy, but the flat is basically a tenement style setup for around about 60% of the cost of a West End alternative, AND i can get a sausage supper for £3.50, which is TWO SAUSAGES. Fuck the West End! (at least until I have  a job)
  • I’ve started actually buying things in antique shops.

The Xbone is currently sitting on a 105-year-old oak console table. Fucksake. (Although I’m amused that it’s actually called a ‘console table’ and now has a console on it. Ha.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!