The Moving House Thread
  • Also probably watching broadcast TV where sound varies horrifically between shows, promos and adverts.
  • That's rotten luck Temps, but yes, take the move. This will drive you insane if you stay there.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There was an old woman living across the road from us in Madrid who was profoundly deaf and would leave her windows open in the summer and have the TV volume at an absolutely ridiculous level. You could hear it streets away. She often fell asleep and it would be on until she woke up at 7 or 8 in the morning. The gf often spend the wee hours on the balcony roaring across the street at her, but obviously she didn't hear. It's a shit situation to be in. Terrible as it sounds, we weren't sad when she died.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I get complaints about volume from the daughters now....
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That's like the opposite of me moaning at mine for screaming while I'm trying to work...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. I've started using subtitles. I've never been good at filtering out voices from background noise. I went to get a hearing test a while back and it's fine - I just can't handle any sort of background noise.

First time I got a soundbar I caused a mini-uproar in the house.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow wrote:
    There was an old woman living across the road from us in Madrid who was profoundly deaf and would leave her windows open in the summer and have the TV volume at an absolutely ridiculous level. You could hear it streets away. She often fell asleep and it would be on until she woke up at 7 or 8 in the morning. The gf often spend the wee hours on the balcony roaring across the street at her, but obviously she didn't hear. It's a shit situation to be in. Terrible as it sounds, we weren't sad when she died.

I've no doubt this guy is falling asleep with the sound on also. 

I feel bad for him because he's clearly all alone for long stretches of time, and I don't want to inflict the hassle of a noise complaint procedure on him, nor do I want to go trough that fruitless process which I know from experience can take months to even bear fruit.

We might have some issues in the other property just due to the nature of a semi-detached, but it's a lot easier to just chat with someone your own age, especially when the landlord owns both properties.
  • Move Tempy. That lifeline to break contract is a godsend.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • It looks like I'm buying a hoose. Lawyers doing their thing at the moment so if all goes to plan, the missus and I will be homeowners in a couple of months.

Current landlords are nice and not in anyway predatory but they are older so if something was to happen to them, God knows where it would leave us.  And realistically, to get a mortgage that I can afford and could pay off in my lifetime, we had to make a move sooner rather than later.

Bit worried about the volatile nature of interest rates but hoping that it'll make retirement a bit easier, if all goes to plan.
  • Congratulations Matt. It’s a big step but definitely feels good.
  • Nice one Matt! Congrats to you both :)
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Congrats Matt. We moved a year ago today and we are still nowhere near set up so take your time.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!