The Moving House Thread
  • Ahem.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • All valid complaints, I reckon.
  • They should tax the absolute fuck out of second property ownership
  • Landlords can get in the bin.

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Second property is theft.
  • ... if it is in the UK...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I see people with holiday homes are going to start to get hammered. It's a start.

I know a couple of people who buy to rent but they are self employed and do it on a small scale. They tend to set rent to cover the mortgage + agency fees and consider the growth in value of the house as their pension fund. Still - it's all a bit Dickensian.

It's as if Thatcher's "buy your own home" was a long term plan to move Housing Association/Council homes into landlords' hands.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • So life is being crazy.

Landlord cut lease short. Turns out they died. Family selling.

Had to go on hunt for new place.

Looked at somewhere in Tuesday. Applied Thursday morning. Got it Thursday arvo.

Get keys next week.

My head is spinning. Same size, slightly bigger. Not much more. Closer to the beach.

Its gonna be awesome, but wow. Quick move is gonna be nuts.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Good luck bud moving sucks (well, packing, cleaning, transporting, spending…) but once you’re in and have a cup of tea / coffee it’s all gravy

• Not the tea hopefully
  • Facewon wrote:
    So life is being crazy. Landlord cut lease short. Turns out they died. Family selling. Had to go on hunt for new place. Looked at somewhere in Tuesday. Applied Thursday morning. Got it Thursday arvo. Get keys next week. My head is spinning. Same size, slightly bigger. Not much more. Closer to the beach. It's gonna be awesome, but wow. Quick move is gonna be nuts.

"Closer to the beach". Sold!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Hang on tight. You'll be fine. :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Shitty situation to find yourself in Face. Hope it all works out fine.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Sounds like you've smashed it Face, it's stressful but you seem to have managed a difficult situation with ease.
  • Cheers all. Yeah, it's just a weird sitcho all round.

Also a tinge of guilt, or not guilt, but just weird feeling that thousands of folks are struggling to get accom down where we are, and we can just float around and get places easy because of age, financial situation and work situation.

Just so lucky on so many fronts even though it's stressful.
  • Got keys. Moved a bunch of stuff today. Still weird. 2 story place and 1 floor is bigger than 2 of the houses we lived in when we were closer to city.

My office has enough room that I could set up my desk, have a couch and TV set up with the couch folding out to Queen bed. Wtf.
  • Nice one Face!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • And we're in. Removalists took 3 hrs all in.

Still dribs and drabs at the other place. But we have whole weekend to deal with it.

Cleaners in there tomorrow. Had to lift virtually none of the annoying stuff. Internet is a 5g dongle so already up and running.

2 beds to (re) build and then I'm on to whatever I want to start next.
  • Good luck in the new pad Face.

In other news I ran out of paint.

Yn7HipV.jpg
  • Just hang a big mirror
  • A massive cock shaped mirror.
  • My office is that colour.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Massive cock?
  • g.man wrote:
    My office is that colour.

Do you like it? I still can't tell.
  • I do actually. I find it very peaceful.
  • Well I could do with a bit of that. It's a massive change but I think I'll warm to it. And 30 sqr meters my arse. Bastards.
  • This house is ridiculous in size.

Needing 4 bed rooms because 2 are offices means that we have 3 people in a whole lot of space.

But even the "offices" are huge. 3.4 metres by 4 metres. I have all the stuff I had in last office in one half of the room.
  • We went from a tiny flat to a big house. It’s amazing how quickly you’ll end up filling/using the space.

I think the main thing is getting furniture that’s the right size for your new gaff.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Almost 5 years later and I still have a few boxes left to unpack.
  • I am also moving. From rental to rental. But from Glasgow to Nottingham. Love Glasgow to bits but it has ended up being a bit of a dead end in terms of opportunities for jobs. Me and Evelin both work from home, and we're getting bored of being cooped up all the time without much to show for it.

So I regress and return home, to the land of Warhammer.  I can get some office time in, and maybe make some contacts for current career progress and studio jobs, and Ev can be close to some of the midlands game studios should she luck out. It will also be nice being near all of my family, potential dogsitting candidates for Daisy should we ever want to go on holiday (something we've not managed since before Covid).

It also means going from a nice two-bed flat at £695 with a big open plan livingkitchendineroffice to a two bedroom with a big kitchen, garage, back and front garden and drive way for £870 (£25 of that being the Daisy tax). It's also in Bulwell which is like Giffnock or Baillieston I guess, rather than happening old Dennistoun, but given we're 25 minutes on the tram out of the town centre (and 40 mins from work for me) it seems a worthwhile trade.

Currently we're working out moving costs and furniture costs because Nottingham flats are nearly all unfurnished due to some regulation, and finding a dog friendly one was a nightmare. 

Onwards and upwards then. Can always give it up and come back in a year if I hate it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!