The Moving House Thread
  • How are you enjoying West Yorkshire, and the folk, @LivDiv?
    Different to what you’re used to from Darn Sarf?
  • No malice. Pudsey, no? Between the Great City of BRADFORD and some place called Leeds. Northern folk are the best.
  • Loving it mate, cheers.
    Genuinely really happy here. People are lovely, everyone says hello. Can be a bit of a nightmare walking the dog before work as everyone wants to stop for a chat.

I've been warned by everyone about the winter. It's like fucking Game of Thrones!

The pace is slower here which took a bit of getting used to. Its a good thing though, the South can be a bit antsy in comparison.

Edit: Drighlington so just below Pudsey.
  • That’s great to hear! Your new gaffe looks great, and I’m glad you’re out of all that nonsense from the last place. 
    West Yorkshire and the people are generally so good up there. I hope you have a wonderful time in the best county in England! ❤️
  • Haha. Cheers mate.
    That reminds me I still need to go to the pie shop.
  • Pies are loved everywhere in the North, but the NW has cornered the market. It’s where you’ll truly appreciate such a fine product. 
    You need to speak to @FranticPea 
    From Wigan (originally, I think?), but relocated.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I've a pretty big garden, but it's on a hill and bumpy, so horrible to mow. Plus side is that it gives me a bit of distance from loads of overlooking houses.

One day I'll bother to chainsaw all the rubbish trees that line a ditch on one side. There used to be a field opposite, but now it's all housing they've wooden fences. I've had enough of trimming them every couple of years. Gonna build a new shed first, though.

A few neighbours also have overhanging trees they get funny about me cutting back too much. I understand it — we're both struggling for privacy, but obviously it's more frequent work.
  • Have minimal garden here. Reckon maybe 5 metres square of grass to mow. Mainly decking and paving around the house. Not a green thumb, so that's good. Public parks and then grassland are literally 30 metres away, so Yay. Don't have to mow them.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Haha. Cheers mate. That reminds me I still need to go to the pie shop.

I've been coming down to West Yorkshire quite a bit now I'm homeless and I realise I really miss it. So many pubs and so many trees. Nobody ever mentions the trees but they're amazing.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Also it's a fuck-tonne cheaper than Glasgow for beer. 3 lovely pints for less than a tenner is the norm.
  • I put in a bid for a Govan flat that has a home report value of £185k. I thought my bid was generous but it went north of £300k. Wtaf is going on?
  • It's depressing, but it doesn't surprise me tbh. The property market has been absolutely nuts since the slide out of lockdown. Absolute sellers market.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Finally moving house this week, after 10 years in the tiny current place. We were supposed to move a couple of years ago, then Covid hit, so it's quite a relief.

We've only shifted about 20 miles, but that's a pretty big difference - from Nicosia near the middle, to Kyrenia on the coast. We can just about see the sea from the upstairs on one side, and the mountains on the other. And there are 3 bedrooms, one of which will be my study and games/TV room.  

F55NJhG.jpg

u2N2Ksa.jpg
  • Lovely.
    Cyprus can be a beautiful place.
  • Holy shit that looks nice.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • And not even as hot as England, apparently.
  • Looks lovely Jon. Hope the move goes well.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yep, looks great.  But also FUCKING HOT.
  • It's actually a little cooler on the coast. But still over 35 degrees. Not the best time of year to move, perhaps.
  • Yay I bought a flat between Tramway and Star Bar on Maxwell Rd/Barrland St, just up from Super Asia but far enough away from Pollockshaw Road to not hear it. A quiet little pocket, full of rubbish and discarded fast food crap. A big corner tenement - you get a lot for your money at that end, but above a bloody lodge. No bar thank fuck but marching season is going to be a pain in the arse. 

The developers deemed it ok to but a horrible grey shag carpet throughout but I had a peek and the floorboards look sound. Living room is proper massive.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/125311427#/?channel=RES_BUY
  • It's got great character, love that Scottish architecture.
  • Cheers. Just can't wait to spend some time not shacked up at a pals. Being homeless is not fun, and although I have a roof over my head it's still stressful. His missus has been very understanding considering they have a two yr old. Paying cash should speed things up but it's still going to take 3 or 4 weeks. They have to do money laundering chacks apparently.
  • Also I need ID.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Congrats, SG! That's a lovely looking place. Particularly like the 'what's behind door number 1?' vibe on entry.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Looks splendid. What a pity people have to live in it and make it look untidy.  :)

Liking the older architecture. Very pleasing.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That place looks amazing SG, love everything about it. Nice find!
  • Cheers all. I'm awfully fortunate but really, buy to rent landlords can fuck off. A bunch of greedy cowardly bastards.

Not content from the perverse increase in the price of the extra property they own, they want to extract maximum profits from people who can't afford to save up for a mortgage deposit. Basically, people hardest hit by the cost of living crisis who still have a job and can just about pay the rent. Everyone else can fuck off.

Never a fan but I proper Colonel Kurtz hate them now.
  • I mean, that's what they've always done, but these new rights the tenants have in scotland (6 months notice??) and during Covid has made them shit a brick. Spineless fucks. I do hate them.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!